Pattaya Experiences Flash Floods Following 6 Hours Of Sustained Rainfall.

Pattaya_Fox

Pattaya experiences flash floods following 6 hours of sustained rainfall.

Six hours of sustained heavy rainfall here in Pattaya on Wednesday Night exposed a long-term problem with blocked drains causing severe flooding. Chaos ensued in many areas around the city and in some areas the flood waters measured more than 1 meter in depth. Pattaya Second Road, Pattaya Third Road and Soi Beokeow were some of the worst hit areas. Fire Rescue Units fitted with powerful water pumps and city hall officers were dispatched to key areas around the city, but they were unable to prevent the floods which are known to have claimed the life of an English Tourist who was electrocuted in South Pattaya. Despite regular drainage work undertaken around Pattaya, the drains become quickly blocked again due to large amounts of refuse produced by the City which is not disposed of in the correct manor. An emergency plan has now been put into force to unblock drains in the worst effected areas as more heavy rain is forecast over the coming days.

Pattaya One News

post-15964-1213878518_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1213878529_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1213878539_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1213878550_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1213878564_thumb.jpg

They had just re-done our soi with new drains and a big channel under the road but what happened with the rains was that all the drains clogged with garbage. Plastic bags and all manner of junk plugging the vents. I don't think I've ever been more impressed with the problems of plastic refuse drifting about everywhere, it is nasty. I see carrefour has now come out with environmentally friendly cloth bags which can be purchased by customers to re-use. I pity the folks who are in low-lying areas and essentially end-up in a pile of garbage everytime it rains.Really needs to be addressed.Not to mention the water must be filthy. :o

Edited by cali4995

Where I live (soi DayNight 2), we usually get flooded quite bad. I've watched the local construction "companies" mix cement on the street and then wash the remains down the sewers. Numerous sewer covers (the open grate kind) become convenient garbage disposals.

Yet no matter how often it happens, people never seem to learn. :D

Good thing I'm not there (yet). I'd have to buy water-wings for the motos ! :o

Well I just came home to Pattaya last night from Phuket. 4 nice days in the sun, not a single drop of rain. Over here in Naklua the rain was not too bad I guess (while I was sleeping). No flooding this morning....

Sattahip got 160 mm of rain, that's heavy.