Is Yoghurt Good For You?

Jandajoy

Yogurt is good even for lactose intolerant people. The lactose is broken down by those friendly bacteria, which is how it gets to be yogurt and not milk. Fruity or non-fruity is merely a preference in flavor and sugar content. What you should look for is something called "active cultures" which means it still has live bacteria in it. That's the part that's good for you. It also means the yogurt won't keep as well.

Yogurt is good even for lactose intolerant people. The lactose is broken down by those friendly bacteria, which is how it gets to be yogurt and not milk. Fruity or non-fruity is merely a preference in flavor and sugar content. What you should look for is something called "active cultures" which means it still has live bacteria in it. That's the part that's good for you. It also means the yogurt won't keep as well.

Suger is bad for you we ingest enough of it already. Unless your one of the exceptions to the rule.

Yogurt may be safe. Some studies have shown that the active live bacterial cultures (also known as probiotics) found in yogurt help lactose digestion.

you might be right on the other point but the vote is still out on that one.

Suger is bad for you we ingest enough of it already. Unless your one of the exceptions to the rule.

Sugar is not bad for you. Sugar is a natural substance, and humans need it to live. Your body treats the sucrose you eat as table sugar the same way it treats the fructose you eat in an apple. It converts it to glucose and uses it to keep you alive. In fact, that's what your body does with carbs and fats, too. It converts them to glucose. If you eat more protein than your body needs, guess what? It converts the extra protein to glucose, too.

Eating too much sugar is no more bad for you than eating too many carbs or too much protein. Overeating is the bad thing, not the sugar.

Exception: Diabetics, who really must keep track of the sugar and carbs they eat; ingesting straight sugars can cause their blood sugar levels to spike, depending on how they are medicated for their diabetes. And that IS indeed bad.

Sugar is not bad for you. Sugar is a natural substance, and humans need it to live. Your body treats the sucrose you eat as table sugar the same way it treats the fructose you eat in an apple. It converts it to glucose and uses it to keep you alive. In fact, that's what your body does with carbs and fats, too. It converts them to glucose. If you eat more protein than your body needs, guess what? It converts the extra protein to glucose, too.

Eating too much sugar is no more bad for you than eating too many carbs or too much protein. Overeating is the bad thing, not the sugar.

Exception: Diabetics, who really must keep track of the sugar and carbs they eat; ingesting straight sugars can cause their blood sugar levels to spike, depending on how they are medicated for their diabetes. And that IS indeed bad.

Excessive sugar has a strong mal-effect on the functioning of the brain. The key to orderly brain function is glutamic acid, a vital compound found in many vegetables. The B vitamins play a major role in dividing glutamic acid into antagonistic-complementary compounds which produce a "proceed" or "control" response in the brain. B vitamins are also manufactured by symbiotic bacteria which live in our intestines. When refined sugar is taken daily, these bacteria wither and die, and our stock of B vitamins gets very low. Too much sugar makes one sleepy; our ability to calculate and remember is lost.

SUGAR: HARMFUL TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS

Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum. The eminent French physiologist F. Magendie was inspired by that incident to conduct a series of experiments with animals, the results of which he published in 1816. In the experiments, he fed dogs a diet of sugar or olive oil and water. All the dogs wasted and died.3

The shipwrecked sailors and the French physiologist's experimental dogs proved the same point. As a steady diet, sugar is worse than nothing. Plain water can keep you alive for quite some time. Sugar and water can kill you. Humans [and animals] are "unable to subsist on a diet of sugar".4 The dead dogs in Professor Magendie's laboratory alerted the sugar industry to the hazards of free scientific inquiry. From that day to this, the sugar industry has invested millions of dollars in behind-the-scenes, subsidized science. The best scientific names that money could buy have been hired, in the hope that they could one day come up with something at least pseudoscientific in the way of glad tidings about sugar

Sugar has almost no nutricional values so be my guest and eat loads of sugar you will get enough calories but nothing else. Spiking bloodsugar levels are bad for us too. Storing fat happens faster then. You are correct that it is all about the intake of calories in total. But i rather take the good stuff.

Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum.

Don't you think that drinking nothing but rum for 9 days in exposed conditions with no solid food would have been the root to most of their problems? :o

Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum.

Don't you think that drinking nothing but rum for 9 days in exposed conditions with no solid food would have been the root to most of their problems? :o

Im sure it contributed. All what i am saying is that refined sugar isnt that good for you. Sure you can take some of it but all things done with moderation. Thais put it almost in everything and if you then ad it in yogurt and in other things. We are getting too much of it. You cant completely remove it from your dieet but you can moderate it.

Those men and dogs were all starving, and in terrible condition or dead due to the utter lack of protein in their diet, not the sugar. Note that the oil and water diet killed the dogs, and it contained no sugar at all. Also note that those events were over 200 years ago, and nutritional knowledge has progressed a bit since then.

You might want to investigate the use of high-fructose corn syrup as a replacement for sugar in commercial baking in the US. My personal opinion is that much of the bad rap sugar gets these days is due to the evil effects of high-fructose corn syrup. The switch took place fairly recently; for example Coke switched when they brought out "new Coke" in the US. I think it was just a ploy to fool people because when they brought "old Coke" back it was made with HFCS, not sugar.

If the basic evil of refined sugar to you is the utter lack of any nutritional content other than calories (and that's a very valid complaint) then you should be happy for people to use palm sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, and raw sugar. They all contain micronutrients. But they are all the same thing in the end, sugar.

has anyone been able to find plain yogurt that has no artificial flavoring or added sugar available in places like Carrefour and Lotus?...or is that too much to ask in Thailand?

I remember there was a thread in the food forum about making yer own plain yogurt. Sure would be nice if it was commercially available but probably has no appeal to the local palate...

If the basic evil of refined sugar to you is the utter lack of any nutritional content other than calories (and that's a very valid complaint) then you should be happy for people to use palm sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, and raw sugar. They all contain micronutrients. But they are all the same thing in the end, sugar.

That was what i was going on about. And yes the other new artificial flavor is bad too. Personally i loved yogurt in Holland. Cheap and good.. i loved curds even more high in protein and i liked the taste.

Those men and dogs were all starving, and in terrible condition or dead due to the utter lack of protein in their diet, not the sugar.

I can easily live for months on plain carrot juice which has almost no protein and lots of fruit sugar. Anyone care to explain why? :o

has anyone been able to find plain yogurt that has no artificial flavoring or added sugar available in places like Carrefour and Lotus?...or is that too much to ask in Thailand?

I remember there was a thread in the food forum about making yer own plain yogurt. Sure would be nice if it was commercially available but probably has no appeal to the local palate...

the carefour on Rama 4 will have some as it caters to the expats.

Foodland stocks plain yoghurt - a thai brand in a large clear tub with a red lid. Very nice and not expensive.

If you are really into the stuff, then the tops at central chidlom now stocks the french stuff that comes in the claypot containers. That stuff is the bees knees if you are on a splurge.

Its brill

if you have sunburn

just slap a load on the red area's and leave overnight ,

but have a good shower next day or all the local cats will be following you around :o

colino

PS Plain yoghurt is best

Edited by colino

...but what Thais seem to like is Fermented Milk, as in Yakult. Billions of live bacteria.

For anybody who is interested, he next big dairy market could be China.

Peter

Thanks for that link.

I had never heard of yoghurt-milk or fermented milk before coming to Thailand. Of course, we had "buttermilk"--some kind of dairy fermented concoction which I never liked. However, the yoghurt milks here, I found quite tasty. Now, I find out (thanks to your link) that they're healthy as well.

I get plain yogurt all the time here. More than one brand, fat-free or not. I add some vanilla and sweetener of my choice (sucralose-I'm diabetic) and have it mixed into my unsweetened muesli for breakfast. Or I add some sugar-free fruit preserves and eat it as an evening snack. I miss the old fashioned Dannon yogurt where you had to stir the fruit up from the bottom. I loved the pineapple-orange flavor, but I haven't seen that in over 30 years.