New Wireless Router/modem Thing Having Problems.

mahdoo

Hey Techie Bods,

I brought a new Linksys WAG200G ADSL wireless modem/router for home (TT&T line, premier account) but the thing loses its connection with the internet (DSL and internet lights go off) and it cannot reconnect (to the internet).

When first turned on no problems finding the connection all the lights on, all good, wireless working, then usually 20-30 minutes later it loses the connection and cannot reconnect. I have to unplug the thing (no switch) and turn it back on again, this sometimes works sometimes don't.

This happens if the wireless is disabled, if I am downloading (torrents), surfing or if it is doing nothing at all.

The connection using my old modem that came from TT&T has no problems whatsoever so should be something to do with the new one.

I set the thing up with the installation disk that came with it.

I have been searching around alot, I have updated to the latest firmware and checked my optimal ping rate thing (dont know) but it was 1430 and changed the MTU settings to that, but still no joy.

Anybody here have a similar experience and know what to do? Or any really intelligent people who know what might solve this?

They seem like a popular choice here so hopefully they cant all be bad. Please help before I break the thing. :D:o:D

Hey Techie Bods,

I brought a new Linksys WAG200G ADSL wireless modem/router for home (TT&T line, premier account) but the thing loses its connection with the internet (DSL and internet lights go off) and it cannot reconnect (to the internet).

When first turned on no problems finding the connection all the lights on, all good, wireless working, then usually 20-30 minutes later it loses the connection and cannot reconnect. I have to unplug the thing (no switch) and turn it back on again, this sometimes works sometimes don't.

This happens if the wireless is disabled, if I am downloading (torrents), surfing or if it is doing nothing at all.

The connection using my old modem that came from TT&T has no problems whatsoever so should be something to do with the new one.

I set the thing up with the installation disk that came with it.

I have been searching around alot, I have updated to the latest firmware and checked my optimal ping rate thing (dont know) but it was 1430 and changed the MTU settings to that, but still no joy.

Anybody here have a similar experience and know what to do? Or any really intelligent people who know what might solve this?

They seem like a popular choice here so hopefully they cant all be bad. Please help before I break the thing. :D:o:D

Have you seen this?

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/me...ding&page=2

^ I hadn't seen that actual thread before but I had tried the 90 second reset thing I found at another forum with people having the same problems.

The general consensus on that thread was to get a new different modem/router thingy.

Not exactly what I want to do as I made a special trip to Bangkok to get the thing in the first place.

I figured someone might already be using one of these 'gateways' on a TT&T line here and has it working.

If not I suppose it'll have to be returned and changed.

Guest Reimar

Set the MTU to 1496 and disable QoS (Quality of Service), enable DHCP and set VCI and VPI to the correct value.

Cheers.

^I've just done the whole 90sec reset thing again, holding down the reset button with a pin removing the power cable and re-inserting.

I have set it up again manually without the CD. VPI @ 0, VCI @ 33, QoS disabled (default) MTU 1492 (wouldnt let me set to 1496), DHCP Enabled.

So fingers crossed.......

Edited by mahdoo

................Nope, just dropped the internet connection again and cannot automatically reconnect.

I have changed the MTU 2 1430 (my optimum apparently) and hard rebooted the thing. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any ideas???

Guest Reimar

How hot that modem get? Is it possible that it over heat?

Just try one thing: open the Command prompt/window, you can use the Windows Key + R and than type CMD at the addressbar. Than in that Command Window type ping thaivisa.com -t and let that run in front that you able to see at what time the data transfer stops.

Post the result here please.

Cheers.

^^ Just run that, it was at between 55 and 60ms then the connection was cut. I just hard rebooted the thing again to get reconnected.

Could the gateway getting hot cause only the internet to lose connection?

The things getting on my nerves now.

Guest Reimar
^^ Just run that, it was at between 55 and 60ms then the connection was cut. I just hard rebooted the thing again to get reconnected.

Could the gateway getting hot cause only the internet to lose connection?

The things getting on my nerves now.

I use for oe of my connections an TPlink Modem Router which I need to cool down with an small fan the whole time, otherwise I would loose the connection every 1/2-1 hour. Wit that fan running may I need to reboot that Modem Router once a week

May you try that solution also.

Cheers.

I've been getting knock off probs with a Belkin, and had them previously with a DLink at the same place.

Rather jealous that you got a whole lot more answers than me but I'm giving up and going to change brands too.

Have you tried changing channels?

You can get a local network scanner free somewhere which will tell who's on what channel.