Best Antivirus, Spyware, Firewall Combination

ariesram74

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be the first to complain about Norton hogging resources and being bloated if that were still the case. Norton is now lean and mean. It installs easily, quickly and does a great job. I asked their support some questions about Windows 7 and came to the conclusion that their support sucks. I emailed them and got an email apologizing and was offered an upgrade to Internet Security 2010 plus a 30 day extension of my subscription. I WILL renew when my subscription runs out. One license cover three computers.

What about NOD32?

I use it exclusively on Windows (still run Avast on Linux).

NOD32 is very lightweight, and has won more VB100 awards than any other antivirus out there. Superior (99%+) detection rate.

NOD32 utilizes one of the best Heuristics algorithms, but it consumes quite a bit of resources. While I agree NOD32 is lightweight, it's still a little too heavy compared other free alternatives. This is one of the reasons I switched to AVIRA, which also has better detection rates overall.

You are the first user I've ever heard say that about NOD32. I quite honestly never know it's running, and even while doing a deep scan, I can keep going about my work.

Don't get me wrong, NOD is light, but the Advanced Heuristics engine can consume quite a bit of resources.

Try downloading a 50mb or 100mb+ file in Firefox with real-time protection enabled (using default NOD settings). Once the download finishes, notice the amount of time it takes before the downloaded file is actually saved to disk. Depending on the file type and size, this scanning period can take up to several minutes... I do not have this problem with any other AV program I've used.

^ ^ This is just one example, albeit something I've endured all too often while using NOD over the years.

After tinkering around, I found that disabling the Advanced Heuristics engine (in real-time protection mode) fixes the problem. Moreover, browsing through Windows Explorer is more responsive with AH turned off.

What about NOD32?

NOD32 is very lightweight, and has won more VB100 awards than any other antivirus out there. Superior (99%+) detection rate.

how does it run under Win7? Any experience? Avira was a major brake in win7!

What about NOD32?

how does it run under Win7? Any experience? Avira was a major brake in win7!

It's doing fine so far. There's a 30 day free trial to try it out.

http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php