Tennis Anyone?

rholofcener

My family is moving here in July, but we will be in town November 8-15 to check things out before we move. I am an avid tennis player, and I was wondering if there was a local tennis scene in Chiang Mai. If so, do any clay courts exist? Recommend any particular tennis clubs?

Never come across a local tennis scene, nor a tennis club per se; it seems to be unlikely.

Many courts around though at health clubs and at various hotels. As with everything Thai, the quality of the surface etc. varies dramatically.

• 9 months later...

Not sure about clubs however many moo bahns (housing estates) do have tennis courts some in excellant condition. Also Chiangmai University has several courts that you probably could use but shape not as good. Suspect the 700 stadium out by the new CM courthouse would have good ones and you can become a member cheaply. So yes there are a lot of courts around.

http://www.chiangmai-online.com/tennis.html

Edited by tywais

My family is moving here in July, but we will be in town November 8-15 to check things out before we move.  I am an avid tennis player, and I was wondering if there was a local tennis scene in Chiang Mai. If so, do any clay courts exist? Recommend any particular tennis clubs?

Try the Gymkhana Club. 2 courts in very good shape. See a bunch of ex-pats there on Thur's and the weekends. I am a squash player and they are right next door.

My family is moving here in July, but we will be in town November 8-15 to check things out before we move.  I am an avid tennis player, and I was wondering if there was a local tennis scene in Chiang Mai. If so, do any clay courts exist? Recommend any particular tennis clubs?

The best courts are at 700 stadium. 5 courts are rebound ace and 6 are regualar hard courts. Also practice wall. There is a doubles league that plays every evening, 500 baht a month, pays for lights,balls and courts. Tennis shops for strings etc.......

The best courts are at 700 stadium. 5 courts are rebound ace and 6 are regualar hard courts. Also practice wall. There is a doubles league that plays every evening, 500 baht a month, pays for lights,balls and courts. Tennis shops for strings etc.......

Call into the Red Lion in the Night Bazar area when you arrive and see Kevin, he's one of the owners, and is an official for the tennis club at Gymkhana