English Speaking University In Bangkok

whatchamacallit

Our son will be graduating from an International School here in Pattaya this year - we would like to keep him here in Thailand. He is planning to major in Business Management, International Business, Finance, or IT. Any suggestions which university in Bangkok (with farang faculty) we should look into?

If you want a full farang faculty then I think the only option available is Ramkhamheng University IIS. But there are are plenty of other universities that teach in English or have english programs: Mahidol, Chula, Assumption Uni, Thammasat, Silpakorn, and probably a million other ones I don't know of.

One more thing, stick with the well known government unis, the best are Chula and Thammasat for the areas your son wants to study.

Steer clear of private institutions such as ABAC and Shinawatra University, they are not very good.

Edited by madjbs

I noticed that you said your son was coming out of school in Pattaya.

A friend of mine has been teaching at a university very near there, actually on the border

with Rayong. He says the class sizes are small and the campus is fantastic.

I think its called the Asian Institute of Science and Technology, but I'm not sure exactly.

Google it and see.

Best of luck!

Dont opt for ABAC. its a uni where kids hang out in groups; there's the Louis Viton groups, the BMW groups, the civic groups, the nerd groups, the indian groups, the vietnamese groups, the thai groups. Mostly rich spoiled kids go there to NOT learn and still manage to somehow pass with a degree.

Hence the Thai term "driving like a ABAC". Coz you will always spot a BMW at 200 kmh driven by ABAC students along the Bang Na highway.

Also, teachers who comes from Burma, Vietnam, and India speak absolutely broken English.

Mahidol is okay, it's amongst the most respected international uni alongside Chula.

There's an international uni located in Silom Bangkok, ww.RDI.in.th (international design school offering full bachelors degree with business and marketing).

Edited by Steele404

Oh, I've also heard of ASEAN UNI a while back, had a tour there 6 years ago. close by to pattaya (on the way back to Bangkok). It has dorms, and follows the British curiculum.

But Im not sure of its status and reputation, I went there ages ago.

Oh, I've also heard of ASEAN UNI a while back, had a tour there 6 years ago. close by to pattaya (on the way back to Bangkok). It has dorms, and follows the British curiculum.

But Im not sure of its status and reputation, I went there ages ago.

It's ASIAN University - here in the outskirt of Pattaya. Beautiful campus but not challenging enough for our son. Thank you for the info.

We would like him to be in Bangkok - so he will learn to be on his own, kinda far away from home and yet only two hours away should he needs us.

Dont opt for ABAC. its a uni where kids hang out in groups; there's the Louis Viton groups, the BMW groups, the civic groups, the nerd groups, the indian groups, the vietnamese groups, the thai groups. Mostly rich spoiled kids go there to NOT learn and still manage to somehow pass with a degree.

Hence the Thai term "driving like a ABAC". Coz you will always spot a BMW at 200 kmh driven by ABAC students along the Bang Na highway.

Also, teachers who comes from Burma, Vietnam, and India speak absolutely broken English.

Mahidol is okay, it's amongst the most respected international uni alongside Chula.

There's an international uni located in Silom Bangkok, ww.RDI.in.th (international design school offering full bachelors degree with business and marketing).

Yes, don't opt for ABAC because kids hang out in groups. :o Ridiculous, college kids hang out in groups everywhere. So when those ABAC students are passing at 200 km/h you have time to ask them what university they attend? :D Equally ridiculous. Your education is more up to you wherever you go. If you want to study hard and learn a lot, then you will. If you don't, then you won't.

Yes, don't opt for ABAC because kids hang out in groups. :o Ridiculous, college kids hang out in groups everywhere. So when those ABAC students are passing at 200 km/h you have time to ask them what university they attend? :D Equally ridiculous. Your education is more up to you wherever you go. If you want to study hard and learn a lot, then you will. If you don't, then you won't.

lol, i know this because 10% of my friends attend ABAC. And the reason they go there is because they were rejected from other universities. If we put the student's way of life aside, the standards of education are very low there anyways.

Your education is more up to you wherever you go. If you want to study hard and learn a lot, then you will. If you don't, then you won't.

That is SO true. One must also consider the reputation of the Uni in the job market, however, for getting that first step in the door.

Your education is more up to you wherever you go. If you want to study hard and learn a lot, then you will. If you don't, then you won't.

That is SO true. One must also consider the reputation of the Uni in the job market, however, for getting that first step in the door.

To some extent... If you put a person in a non-educative environment (influences from friends, peer pressure, the mood, resources, etc.), they are bound to have less motivation and thus not studying hard.

Inspiration mostly comes from its surroundings.

hahaha I had to laugh when I read this, its so true!

A few of my Thai friends attend ABAC, and they're all rich spoilt kids. I showed one of them this post and she said its so true about the ABAC BMW drivers.

My other friends study at Thammasat, and like others have mentioned, a top university in Bangkok, but not so easy to get in.

A few of my Thai friends attend ABAC, and they're all rich spoilt kids. I showed one of them this post and she said its so true about the ABAC BMW drivers.

I'm afraid the only BMW my son is going to get when he is in College is just the Logo :o He'll walk to school thank you! :D

I'm afraid the only BMW my son is going to get when he is in College is just the Logo :D He'll walk to school thank you! :D

Excellent start for him. :o

I have several friends at ABAC who are unanimous in their expressions of certain beliefs regarding the quality of teaching there. It would not be entirely unjust to acquire the impression, should an impression be made available to the curiously minded, that these beliefs err somewhat on the negative side of a given spectrum. In fairness, such a spectrum, were it to exist, would likely be of the sort from -10 to +10, +10 being a quality of teaching that is acceptable to your average household pet.

Edited by OxfordWill

If it's so crap, why are you going there?

By the time I had realised it wasn't going to get any better there wasn't much point in changing, and I'll be done by April next year now.

I've seen a lot of posts about ABAC over the years and I keep meaning to make a thread about it, problem is there are so many things I have to say about the place (mostly negative) that it will probably take a while to write.

I would like to say something on the contrary about ABAC Uni.

ABAC seems to have a very good reputation with employers. I know students who have recently graduated from ABAC and they are being snapped up by international companies and getting higher starting salaries than students from Chula and TU.

The standard of English displayed by students from ABAC is REMARKABLY better than those from other Uni's that I have come into contact with.

Admitted, ABAC employs staff from all over the world but they are talented in their fields and this also means students come into contact with English speakers with a diversity of accents and backgrounds.

When my son is old enough I would be MORE than happy for him to go to ABAC. Although I wouldn't buy him a BMW or a Benz.

Enough said : )

M&M

I agree with the advice to go for the more high-profile public universities - Chula, Mahidol or Thammasat. However, one point that nobody mentioned is that Asian University on the OP's doorstep has a very close tie up with Imperial College, London - one of the UK's leading Universities in the management/finance areas. So given that there are frequent staff exchanges this might be a surprisingly good option - though as the OP says perhaps it is too close to home. I think Asian University started life in 1999 as the result of Imperial College's ambitious plan to found a Thai technological university.

I would like to say something on the contrary about ABAC Uni.

ABAC seems to have a very good reputation with employers. I know students who have recently graduated from ABAC and they are being snapped up by international companies and getting higher starting salaries than students from Chula and TU.

The standard of English displayed by students from ABAC is REMARKABLY better than those from other Uni's that I have come into contact with.

Admitted, ABAC employs staff from all over the world but they are talented in their fields and this also means students come into contact with English speakers with a diversity of accents and backgrounds.

When my son is old enough I would be MORE than happy for him to go to ABAC. Although I wouldn't buy him a BMW or a Benz.

Enough said : )

M&M

ABAC graduates are highly-regarded because it takes a lot of hard work to graduate there on time. They make admission easy and have the courses in the first two years ridiculously easy to rake in money from tuition then in the third and fourth year they step up the difficulty to get students to drop out.

Getting into ABAC is no feat at all but for someone who isn't a native English speaker, graduating is.