Traffic Shaping With Dtac Edge?

AyG

I've just installed DTAC Edge (no broadband available where I live), and the download speeds are reasonable (100 KB/sec) - though far less than I think the should be. However, using Limewire the download speeds are atrocious totalling 5 KB/sec maximum.

Do other DTAC Edge users get similar slow results for Limewire? Is DTAC traffic shaping? And would I be better off switching to AIS?

Thanks

I've just installed DTAC Edge (no broadband available where I live), and the download speeds are reasonable (100 KB/sec) - though far less than I think the should be. However, using Limewire the download speeds are atrocious totalling 5 KB/sec maximum.

Do other DTAC Edge users get similar slow results for Limewire? Is DTAC traffic shaping? And would I be better off switching to AIS?

Thanks

Are you confusing bytes and bits? Where do you get the 5KB/sec number for Limewire? Is that from the Limewire stats? The maximum DTAC of 100 kilobits/sec should yield a maximum d/l of less than 12 Kbytes a second (roughly not accounting for overhead).

Thanks, DaveBKK, I could well be confusing bits and bytes, but using Limewire with DTAC Edge is only very slightly faster than using (very poor) dial-up.

Wikipedia tells me "theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s" for Edge - I guess that's just under 60 KB/sec.

Using speedtest.net testing the link to Bangkok I get an actual speed of 120 kbps (15 KB/sec).

I get the Limewire speed from the bottom left of the screen when I'm downloading a few files. The figure never rises above 5 KB/sec, and is more usually zero or 1 KB/sec. So, I'm getting less than 10% of the theoretical maximum speed. (I have set my connection type in Limewire to Broadband, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, when I try using AIS GPRS I get greater throughput in Limewire - about 50% more.)

Putting it slightly differently, Limewire tells me that it's going to take between 14 days and several hundred days to download a movie. Surely this can't be right?

Help!

The theoretical top speed of Edge is indeed 473.6 kbps, but this would require 8 slots.

Every cell (antenna) has only a limited amount of slots available, slots also needed for voice calls. Allowing such fast speeds would eat up all available slots in no time, hence most operators limit Edge to 4 slots, allowing for speeds up to 238 kbps (30 kBps).

Both AIS and Dtac allow only 238 kbps.

I tend to get better speeds on AIS (20 kBps or more) then on Dtac (mostly around 12-15 kBps).

Although sometimes (but not a lot) it can be the other way around...

Your limewire problem comes from a different reason. Both AIS and Dtac will assign you a private IP address. This IP address is not the same as what is visible from the internet, meaning that your PC is not accessible from the internet. You are virtually hidden behind a router.

With a home ADSL connection you have the router in your own house, so you can set this device to forward all incoming traffic for a certain port to your PC.

Since you do not have access to DTAC's routers, this can not be done when using Edge.

Limewire, including most other P2P programs, will only give slow speeds when you are invisible on the net. (basically because being invisible means you are not sharing any of your ontent!).

The theoretical top speed of Edge is indeed 473.6 kbps, but this would require 8 slots.

Every cell (antenna) has only a limited amount of slots available, slots also needed for voice calls. Allowing such fast speeds would eat up all available slots in no time, hence most operators limit Edge to 4 slots, allowing for speeds up to 238 kbps (30 kBps).

Both AIS and Dtac allow only 238 kbps.

I tend to get better speeds on AIS (20 kBps or more) then on Dtac (mostly around 12-15 kBps).

Although sometimes (but not a lot) it can be the other way around...

Your limewire problem comes from a different reason. Both AIS and Dtac will assign you a private IP address. This IP address is not the same as what is visible from the internet, meaning that your PC is not accessible from the internet. You are virtually hidden behind a router.

With a home ADSL connection you have the router in your own house, so you can set this device to forward all incoming traffic for a certain port to your PC.

Since you do not have access to DTAC's routers, this can not be done when using Edge.

Limewire, including most other P2P programs, will only give slow speeds when you are invisible on the net. (basically because being invisible means you are not sharing any of your ontent!).

It sounds like it depends where you are ghere in ON Nut i am on 1-2 call and it is crap compered to when i had DTAC before and the only reason i stick with it is the company pay it!!

287353347.png

287353857.png

Not complaining... Strangely enough I get slightly better speeds testing on the US server!

6:30 in the evening, which is probably the worst time of the day, mornings average around 200 kbps...