Mr. Hippo Receives Rocket Surgery Award

After fairly exhaustive research using bothThaiVisa search engines, it appears this post by Mr. Hippo was the original citation of the phrase "It's not rocket surgery!" Post #45 here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...40&start=40

Correct me if I am wrong, but we may have had a new term coined right here on Teaching in Thailand Forum of ThaiVisa.

For those not in the loop, it is a conflation of "Teaching is not rocket science" and "It's not brain surgery."

I can't quite tell if your tongue is in your cheek or not - but the this topic is hardly "Brain- Science" is it ?

Please feel free to quote me (With appropriate references of course -H.R.H. Leung Ken 23rd June 2008)

I heartily endorse the rocket surgery award. It nicely catches the unfairness of detractors who on one side who somehow regard teachers as being routinely equally trained and as critical to their clients as surgeons are, and who on the other side put us down as doing a job that somehow isn't as important, skilled, or tricky as delivering explosive packets to their destinations.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite "idiom twists" or conflagrations concerns "The shoe being on the other hand". I dunno, it just cracks me up! I imagine some silly bastard who can walk on his hands, having his hands in some shoes as he does so, and then thinking as he discovers his "error", "Dang! This shoe is on the other hand... <deleted>!!"

Go, go, go, Rocket Surgery!!