Broadband

Jockstar

I live in an apartment but i have my own direct line. I currently use a 56k modem and was thinking of getting broadband. Is it possible to use with my own direct line or do i need a new line put in? Also what is the best provider? True , KSc etc. Finally. How much?

If your line is a TA line, (no need to change line) you can use TRUE which is the cheapest at the moment but much, much slower than advertised for international stuff. But it is easy to instal and use.

If you are using TOT (you will have needed a Thai to apply for the line for you as they don't give to foreigners) then you will need some other service. Loxinfo is supposed to be good.

Are you into P2P filesharing???

You can get TRUE adsl with your TOT phone line at 100 baht more a month, on top of the regular subscription rate.

A friend of mine is using CSLox adsl 256/128, share ratio 1:30, for 1000 baht a month and he's happy with it, says the connection rarely goes down and the speed is fairly consistent. They also offer share ratio 1:50 for 590 a month.

Another friend of mine is using TRUE 2048/1024 and he doesn't come anywhere near that speed, ever. Still, he seems happy with it as it sure beats dial-up any day. He hasn't complained much about the connection going down.

Yet another friend of mine is using TOT 1024/512 for his Internet cafe, 1000 baht a month. Seems TOT doesn't mind that you do this. About 7 or 8 computers share this connection and one day when I was there, every single customer complained about the extremely low speed :o So I guess even if you run just one computer on that connection it wouldn't be all that impressive.

Lots of people have complained about TRUE, search the board for posts on this.

As far as I know, there are no other ISPs that offer reasonably priced adsl.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a TOT phone line. Do i have to get a new line put in to use True or can i use this existing line? If i need a new line, will i need a letter from the manager of my aparment to do this? Shes a right bitch. If i can use my TOt line then i would prefer this.

http://www.trueinternet.co.th - true(enough) site.

You will need your passport or ID and workpermit if you have one. Also you will need ur TOT line owner's signature. However i am not an owner of my line but i could sign up for true with no problems. When i was filling in the true sign up form it had a field which needed name and signature of the line owner. Certanly i dont know his/her name. So i ask who is the owner of the line, they told me it was some Khun Watipa Bla bla bla.. i said it is me and signed the paper. They didnt care that i am farang with thai name. :o after 4 days i was happy using my adsl. wish u luk.

btw u should hurry, bcoz i heard that soon they will not sign up any more customers. :D

no i dint take any bills. btw i use TA line, not TOT, but as it was said before u can use TOT line (+100 baht). But i dont know if they get more serious about checkin line owner if u use TOT instead of TA.

One of my friends tried to sign up for TOT adsl and he was refused because his signature didnt totaly match the signature in the database(though it was same signature 10 years ago). However with my own experience and some other ppl, i have seen that TA - True, dont check signatures. so u can just go there, ask for the sign up form and fill it.

cheers.

Went to True yesterday to try and get broadband. Take many things with me ie passport,lease agreement and my TOT phone bill. I live in an apartment. So the direct line is registered to the company thats owns the apartments. Its not got Khun whatever. So they say i gotta get a signature from the director. Ok. So i take the form home. My gf has just spoke to the manager. She says we cant have it in. Why the ###### not? Well she thinks that we will leave and not pay. What a stupid bitch. She says many people have asked her to sign this form and she has refused. So many of these people have moved out now. Surely it would be good business to keep your tenants happy. Instead people move out and the rooms have no one in them. So no rent coming in until someone else moves in. God! Its times like this that i wish i spoke good enough Thai. To complain and try and get her to see common sense. Now i got 3 options.

1) Get the gf to talk to her again. She did say she MIGHT have a word with the owner. NEXT WEEK! Maybe to late to get the deal on offer. But then again. True will probably offer another deal.

2) Move out. find a new place where they are more relaxed. I like my place. Its where i have been living for the last year. Dont really want to move. But considering it

3) Stay and keep using my 56k modem. Which can be slow at times. Also it costs more due to the dial up and prepaid cards.

AAAAAHHHHHH! So ######ed off.

The landlords! First my staff talked to the manager who in turn said, many people have ADSL in the building, but never had to sign anything.

Then I talked to the manager myself, oh well, mis-understanding, no problem :D

Gave him a draft-letter, which was signed by the building owner without problems.

Next problem, of course, had to come, True wanted a certified copy of the owner's ID-card. Me, very surprised, had it within 24 hours.

Btw, still happy with the package. Early morning check the company mail through mail2web, used to be one hour, now 15 min will do. mail2web even on true is slow, especially to open and forward with 4-5 MB attachments.

Check some newspapers from home, loading so bl**dy fast, that I still can go into TV.com b4 6:30 and surf for half an hour.

Or perhaps I have to change my routine and sleap an hour longer. :o