Mystery Of Briton Who Plunged To Death From Thai Balcony

sriracha john

Mystery of Colne man who plunged to death from Thai balcony

A family has been left searching for answers after a coroner failed to deliver a verdict on why a man plunged to his death from his hotel balcony in Thailand.

Police said they had been repeatedly frustrated in their attempts to obtain information about the death of Colne man Lee Middleton, 34, from the Thai authorities.

East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor today recorded an open verdict into his death and said: “Was it suicide? Was it an accident? Was it murder?

"None of the evidence points in any direction for me to record any particular verdict.”

Mr Middleton, of Oak Street, Colne, fell from a sixth-storey hotel balcony in the Thai capital of Bangkok in December 2006.

He died from serious head and neck injuries following the fall on December 18, the hearing at Burnley Coroner’s Court was told. He survived the fall, but died in hospital five days later.

Thai police reported that the death was suicide, but Mr Middleton’s family disagreed.

Det Sgt Ruth Chew, of Colne CID, who investigated Mr Middleton’s death on behalf of East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor, said she had been repeatedly frustrated in her attempts to obtain information about the case by the Thai authorities.

She said: “I personally believe that he did not commit suicide by jumping from the hotel balcony.

"But potentially he has jumped from the balcony because he was in so much fear, either from within the room, or a perceived fear.”

The inquest heard that Mr Middleton was holidaying in the country when he became involved in an argument between an Irish man and two Thai men in a bar in the resort of Pattaya.

He fled to the capital Bangkok after sending a text message to friends in the UK saying he had run into trouble with the local mafia.

The reasons for Mr Middleton's fatal fall less than 24 hours later, have not been established, the court heard.

Mr Middleton’s mother, Heather Britner, of Riverway, Barrowford, was initially told by the Foreign Office that her son's death was suicide but she insisted that this was not plausible. And later the authorities in Thailand admitted that the fall was also being considered as a possible accident.

The court heard that Mr Middleton, who worked at Wardle Storeys factory, Earby, had been staying at Chaplin's Bar, in the resort of Pattaya, when the problems occurred, and had been booked in for a three-week holiday. He later checked out after staying for only a week.

Workmate Darren Stansfield said that later messages sent to his phone, and that of two other former colleagues, indicated that he had overcome the problems though, and had taken a 90-mile bus trip to Bangkok, where he had booked into another hotel.

But on December 18, Mr Middleton's body was found in a car park, after apparently plummeting from his sixth-floor balcony.

Det Sgt Chew told the inquest of a number of inconsistencies which had emerged during her inquiries.

An important statement, supposedly from a security guard who had seen Mr Middleton jump from the balcony, was never produced by the Thai authorities.

Further reports mentioned evidence of him having drunk whisky shortly before his death, a spirit which his mother later confirmed that he would never usually touch.

The hotel manager had also claimed that the door to Mr Middleton's room had been locked from the inside, a claim which could not be verified either way.

The detective said that Mr Middleton, a keen traveller, appeared to be in no immediate danger but there was no direct evidence about what had happened in his hotel room prior to his death.

Home office pathologist Dr Naomi Carter, who conducted a second post mortem on the deceased on January 12, 2007, said he had suffered no defensive injuries, to indicate he may have struggled with a third party.

No toxicology tests could be undertaken successfully though as Mr Middleton's body was partially embalmed before it was repatriated.

- Lancashire Telegraph (UK) / 24-06-08

Edited by sriracha john

To whom it may concern.

I have no intention of killing myself and I have no intention of jumping off a balcony.

In the event of my death from a fall from a balcony, I request a full investigation and inquest in my country of birth.

Other members might like to cut and paste this. :o

I would think it highly unlikey that the Irishman and 2 Thai guys he allegedly had an argument with in Pattaya, followed him to Bangkok, found which room in which hotel he was staying in, and "tutored" him in Xtreme (parachuteless) Freefall Balcony Diving.

It would have had to been one hel_l of an argument for anyone to go to those lengths. And what made him think he was in trouble with "the local mafia" ? Did they tell him that ?

"Hi, we're with the local mafia, and your sitting on our stool".

I'm betting there's more to the story than what we've been privy to. I'm also betting it will likely never be solved (to the full satisfaction of all involved).

I am amazed at how many people are so pure and innocent, after they are dead. It seems that only the good people are dying tragic deaths. (Guess that means I'll never show up in the head-lines either !)

it really is hilarious when people start making un-original jokes about someones un-fortuante death particallarly suicide as its a such a sensitive subject.

Maybe there should be a sub-forum for the disussion of balcony jumping where people can share their wit

Edited by William Osborne

Mystery of Colne man who plunged to death from Thai balcony

A family has been left searching for answers after a coroner failed to deliver a verdict on why a man plunged to his death from his hotel balcony in Thailand.

Police said they had been repeatedly frustrated in their attempts to obtain information about the death of Colne man Lee Middleton, 34, from the Thai authorities.

East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor today recorded an open verdict into his death and said: “Was it suicide? Was it an accident? Was it murder?

"None of the evidence points in any direction for me to record any particular verdict.”

Mr Middleton, of Oak Street, Colne, fell from a sixth-storey hotel balcony in the Thai capital of Bangkok in December 2006.

He died from serious head and neck injuries following the fall on December 18, the hearing at Burnley Coroner’s Court was told. He survived the fall, but died in hospital five days later.

Thai police reported that the death was suicide, but Mr Middleton’s family disagreed.

Det Sgt Ruth Chew, of Colne CID, who investigated Mr Middleton’s death on behalf of East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor, said she had been repeatedly frustrated in her attempts to obtain information about the case by the Thai authorities.

She said: “I personally believe that he did not commit suicide by jumping from the hotel balcony.

"But potentially he has jumped from the balcony because he was in so much fear, either from within the room, or a perceived fear.”

The inquest heard that Mr Middleton was holidaying in the country when he became involved in an argument between an Irish man and two Thai men in a bar in the resort of Pattaya.

He fled to the capital Bangkok after sending a text message to friends in the UK saying he had run into trouble with the local mafia.

The reasons for Mr Middleton's fatal fall less than 24 hours later, have not been established, the court heard.

Mr Middleton’s mother, Heather Britner, of Riverway, Barrowford, was initially told by the Foreign Office that her son's death was suicide but she insisted that this was not plausible. And later the authorities in Thailand admitted that the fall was also being considered as a possible accident.

The court heard that Mr Middleton, who worked at Wardle Storeys factory, Earby, had been staying at Chaplin's Bar, in the resort of Pattaya, when the problems occurred, and had been booked in for a three-week holiday. He later checked out after staying for only a week.

Workmate Darren Stansfield said that later messages sent to his phone, and that of two other former colleagues, indicated that he had overcome the problems though, and had taken a 90-mile bus trip to Bangkok, where he had booked into another hotel.

But on December 18, Mr Middleton's body was found in a car park, after apparently plummeting from his sixth-floor balcony.

Det Sgt Chew told the inquest of a number of inconsistencies which had emerged during her inquiries.

An important statement, supposedly from a security guard who had seen Mr Middleton jump from the balcony, was never produced by the Thai authorities.

Further reports mentioned evidence of him having drunk whisky shortly before his death, a spirit which his mother later confirmed that he would never usually touch.

The hotel manager had also claimed that the door to Mr Middleton's room had been locked from the inside, a claim which could not be verified either way.

The detective said that Mr Middleton, a keen traveller, appeared to be in no immediate danger but there was no direct evidence about what had happened in his hotel room prior to his death.

Home office pathologist Dr Naomi Carter, who conducted a second post mortem on the deceased on January 12, 2007, said he had suffered no defensive injuries, to indicate he may have struggled with a third party.

No toxicology tests could be undertaken successfully though as Mr Middleton's body was partially embalmed before it was repatriated.

- Lancashire Telegraph (UK) / 24-06-08

This wasn't a suicide judging from the above story.

Thais can be EXTREMELY vindictive when they feel wronged and my bet is that either a 'wronged' Thai girl OR a drugs deal gone wrong were involved in the unfortunate 'suicide' of Lee Middleton.

Do try to show some consideration for the family of the deceased. Thai Visa is often the place the family turns to for information, as has been proven from past cases, so perhaps posters should consider their words carefully in the event the family could end up reading this.

So the guy was criminally stupid to open his door when the bad guys came? Some Nome Nah

perhaps you should stick to english until you have actually learned some thai.

as for the incident at hand, angels dont fall from hotel rooms, nor do they run from pattaya. there is (obviously) more to this than what we are being told.