True Offers Free Wi-fi Access In Bangkok

george

A hotspot capital

In a move to stop people from travelling around too much or wasting electricity at home, the BMA and True Corp are offering free Wi-Fi access in 10 major areas of Bangkok

A hotspot capital

BANGKOK: -- As part of its agenda to make Bangkok a green city, the Bangkok Metro-politan Administration (BMA) and True Corpora-tion are offering free Inter-net access at 15,000 Wi-Fi hotspots for a year.

However, the access speed will only be 64 kilobits per second - enough to check e-mail and instant messaging.

Yesterday, after the official launch at CentralWorld, some 500,000 Wi-Fi cards were given away for free at tourist centres and leading department stores, including Siam Paragon, Emporium, Central Plaza and Siam Centre.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin says the campaign is part of the Bangkok Green Agenda, initiated by BMA to create a knowledge-based society and offer residents a convenient and safe environment by introducing wireless Internet access as a substitute to travel whenever possible.

Green initiative

It is through this that BMA hopes to save energy, reduce expenses and meet the demands of the more environmentally friendly young generation.

The new Wi-Fi hotspots are located in 10 major areas, namely Silom; Rama IV; Rachaprarob Road; Rama I; Sukhumvit; New Phetcha-buri; Asoke; Charoenkrung and Rachadamnern Nok; as well as the Lumpini and Benjasiri Parks.

Those interested can register for access privileges at www.truewifi.net, while those with the free Wi-Fi card can register at the website and renew their account every three months.

The card is valid until the end of June next year.

More members expected

Non Ingkutanon, True's deputy director for broadband service, expects all recipients of the free Wi-Fi cards to log on during the first year. He also expects the current 50,000 Wi-Fi subscribers to treble by the end of this year.

Currently, True charges Bt150 per hour for walk-in customers at hotspots, while subscribers to the True Move mobile-phone service pay Bt250 per month for unlimited access.

-- The Nation 2008-06-25

A hotspot capital

In a move to stop people from travelling around too much or wasting electricity at home, the BMA and True Corp are offering free Wi-Fi access in 10 major areas of Bangkok

A hotspot capital

BANGKOK: -- As part of its agenda to make Bangkok a green city, the Bangkok Metro-politan Administration (BMA) and True Corpora-tion are offering free Inter-net access at 15,000 Wi-Fi hotspots for a year.

However, the access speed will only be 64 kilobits per second - enough to check e-mail and instant messaging.

Yesterday, after the official launch at CentralWorld, some 500,000 Wi-Fi cards were given away for free at tourist centres and leading department stores, including Siam Paragon, Emporium, Central Plaza and Siam Centre.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin says the campaign is part of the Bangkok Green Agenda, initiated by BMA to create a knowledge-based society and offer residents a convenient and safe environment by introducing wireless Internet access as a substitute to travel whenever possible.

Green initiative

It is through this that BMA hopes to save energy, reduce expenses and meet the demands of the more environmentally friendly young generation.

The new Wi-Fi hotspots are located in 10 major areas, namely Silom; Rama IV; Rachaprarob Road; Rama I; Sukhumvit; New Phetcha-buri; Asoke; Charoenkrung and Rachadamnern Nok; as well as the Lumpini and Benjasiri Parks.

Those interested can register for access privileges at www.truewifi.net, while those with the free Wi-Fi card can register at the website and renew their account every three months.

More members expected

Non Ingkutanon, True's deputy director for broadband service, expects all recipients of the free Wi-Fi cards to log on during the first year. He also expects the current 50,000 Wi-Fi subscribers to treble by the end of this year.

Currently, True charges Bt150 per hour for walk-in customers at hotspots, while subscribers to the True Move mobile-phone service pay Bt250 per month for unlimited access.

-- The Nation 2008-06-25

Is it just me or by registering to access privileges at www.truewifi.net seems to be a good way to cultivate new customers. Wonder how much BMA is paying True for this. And why only for a year? Not sure how it will save energy with millions of people plugging in their notebooks and pdas at the local McDonalds so they can chat in air con comfort with their friends.

I don't mind if they say we are giving away free wifi to make Bangkok a better connected modern metropolis, but saying it will make it more green is just the kind of thing we come to expect. What's next, hub of wifi for the world. Really, because we get free wifi, does this mean that students won't have to go to school or me to my job? Great, sign me up. :o

A hotspot capital

A hotspot capital

Green initiative

More members expected

-- The Nation 2008-06-25

Is it just me or by registering to access privileges at www.truewifi.net seems to be a good way to cultivate new customers. Wonder how much BMA is paying True for this. And why only for a year? Not sure how it will save energy with millions of people plugging in their notebooks and pdas at the local McDonalds so they can chat in air con comfort with their friends.

I don't mind if they say we are giving away free wifi to make Bangkok a better connected modern metropolis, but saying it will make it more green is just the kind of thing we come to expect. What's next, hub of wifi for the world. Really, because we get free wifi, does this mean that students won't have to go to school or me to my job? Great, sign me up. :o

I couldn't find anywhere on the Truewifi website to register! any clues?

A hotspot capital

A hotspot capital

Green initiative

More members expected

-- The Nation 2008-06-25

I couldn't find anywhere on the Truewifi website to register! any clues?

Like everything else it seems, the True th is in the details.