Water Filters - Stainless Steel Vs Fiberglass

202marcellus

I am about to purchase a water filter to filter the incoming moo ban water to the house. I would like to know if there are any functional or other differences between fiberglass filters and the stainless steel ones. I am leaning toward fiberglass as I would worry a little about the stainless rusting depending on the water content and the quality of the steel.

We are using a Puritec whole home water filtration system (15 gallons a minute at 41psi) from the U S - this comprises a .05 micron carbon filter - a .05 filtration filter and UV system. Even importing the filters (with the duty) is cheaper and better then relying on anything built in Thailand - whether it is plastic or stainless steal.

Our system is plastic - thus no concern at all about rust.

Believe me - purchase a good quality foreign made water filtration system and then you will not have to worry.

Buy the stainless. You won't have a problem with it. Spend your money on a 400 watt pump that can do the biz.

Wish I could remember the thread of the gentleman who had 2 big storage tanks & one of those 6 foot high & about 12 inch diameter filters.

bcross he doesn't need uv for washing dishes & showering. That would be on a dedicated drinking water line. In which case I agree with you.

rather than worry about the whether it is plastic or stainless - you should be more concerned about the filtration system and there is really only one system that should be used.

most plastic is made based on its intended use (all plastic has a code - number - which describes its compound and stainless will not corrode

sorry - but you need to to do some legwork here and figure it out - not too difficult.

hint - think about what happens when fish move from one water source (SEA/FRESH) to another water source (fresh/salt)

I would want something that is low maintaince. It should have a manifold with valves that will let you reverse flush it. Not have to dismantle the whole thing. Messy & time consuming.

The ones I've seen are about 1.6 meters tall & about 12 inches in diameter. They are designed for well water systems.

rather than worry about the whether it is plastic or stainless - you should be more concerned about the filtration system and there is really only one system that should be used.

most plastic is made based on its intended use (all plastic has a code - number - which describes its compound and stainless will not corrode

sorry - but you need to to do some legwork here and figure it out - not too difficult.

hint - think about what happens when fish move from one water source (SEA/FRESH) to another water source (fresh/salt)

I've already researched the filtration system and decided what I need to filter from the water. My question was with regards to fiberglass vs stainless steel. I know high quality ss will not corrode but on some other threads people have reported having ss water tanks corrode and leak. On the Mazuma ss filters there are several (I believe 5 or 6) valves which have to be opened and closed in various combinations to filter or backwash. On the fiberglass filter by Water King there is a single valve on top which is set to either filter or backwash. Quite simple, I was wondering whether there were any down sides to a fiberglass tank. Since in your opinion there is only one filtration system that should be used, perhaps you would would like to enlighten us.