Beware - Pet Stalls At Theprasit Market

Meg_2003

I bought a lovely black little Persian Kitten at a Pet Stall at Theprasit market the weekend before last. It's the stall in the center lot near the soi down to the bottom car park. He became ill after a few days sneezing and not eating much, and finally passed out.. We rushed him to the vet who had to do a blood transfer from one of my cats to him due to him being so small and weak, and also had to be kept in an Oxygen tank for a couple of days.. He passed away this morning. I was left with a 5,000 baht bill and a dead kitten..

The vet said the poor kitten had been taken away from its mother far too early and was not strong enough to be put onto Kitten food.. Something about a Virus which had eaten away at his white blood cells and the milk from his mother would have helped prevent this.

I personally know of 3 people who have purchased puppies at Theprasit market, all 3 died after 1 week (A Shihtzu, Mini Chihuahua and Siberian Husky) . I currently have 2 dogs which were purchased from these kind of stalls several years ago, so trusted that the kitten would be OK.

The vet asked us where we purchased him from, and told us never to purchase from these stalls again, because most of this vets customers are people who have bought sick animals from Theprasit market, and a lot of them don't make it.

The sellers at these market stalls (some of them anyway, especially this particular stall) seem to not care about the pets health and whether it is ready or not to be taken away from its mother, ect. It seems they only care about making a quick few baht.

The vet told us that it is very likely that the kitten was already infected when we purchased him. So please, if you are thinking of buying a dog/cat, Don't make the same mistake I did as you may be left with a large vet bill, a dead animal and a broken heart.

Has anyone else been in the same situation with Market Stall pets?? Please, no sarcastic or nasty comments, This is a very upsetting and heart breaking situation. Especially for animal lovers like myself...

RIP to my poor little kitten "Ju-On" :o:D

DSC09260.jpg

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Another quick point, I highly recommend "Muang Ake" Vet on Sukhumvit road a little past Lotus driving South.

We first took him to Soi Nernplubwan Vet who put him straight into an Oxygen tank, refused to give him any injections or anything, and said we would just have to leave him in the Oxygen tank.

Although he did not survive, I feel that Muang Ake Vet tried their very best to help him, and their service was very professional, calling us with any updates and letting us go to see him anytime 24 hours a day.

Last Point: The dogs in which people I know purchased, all died of Parvo. Be careful!!!

I am so sorry for what has happened to you.

I bought a kitten from a market but not in Pattaya, it was a lot younger than I was first led to believe (only four weeks old) but has been given the all clear by the vet and now doing well but I wouldn't buy a pet from any of these markets again.

We bought a beautiful poodle from this market with a lovely brown coat, after his first bath and all the dye washed away his colouring was quite ordinary! :o

But apart from that he has been healthy, sounds like we were lucky :D

So sad.. I bought a Persian cat from this Theprasit Market some 8 months ago, he was sat there in a beautiful little cat coat, i just could not resist. I got him home, took his little coat off, and he was infested with Ringworm, He had bald patches allover him, he is ok now, but having heard of other peoples misfortunes on buying Pets at this place I wont be buying anymore. I caught the Ringworm and my other Animals also caught it from him - it took some getting rid of. Threpasit Night Market is off my list for buying or even looking at the poor little animals now. They seem Dirty, Undernourished and it hurts to look at them locked in these tiny cages in this heat.

We rushed him to the vet who had to do a blood transfer from one of my cats to him due to him being so small and weak,.....

do cats have different blood types like human? Maybe the transfusion is what killed the kitten... wrong blood type?? :o:D

Edited by whatchamacallit

Bought a chuhuahua a couple of months ago from the same place. Was told she was 8 weeks old. When I took her to the vet for her jabs was told she was only 4 weeks and too young to have jabs. Luckily shes doing OK but she seems very insecure and I think thats because shes been taken from her mother too young. She replaced a little white bunny which we also bought from Threppasit, unfortunately the bunny died after about 3 weeks.

We rushed him to the vet who had to do a blood transfer from one of my cats to him due to him being so small and weak,.....

do cats have different blood types like human? Maybe the transfusion is what killed the kitten... wrong blood type?? :o:D

ํYes, It died also because of the wrong blood type, It desperately needed a blood transfusion, but we had only our cat to donate blood. The kitten needed the blood or he would have died that night.. So the vets said the only thing we could have done was give it a try, it would have taken almost 24 hours to test the blood type as they would have had to send it to Bangkok and they didn't have the time.. It was our last chance..

Its very hard deciding what to do in this situation, so it was best to leave it to the vet.. It was heart breaking to see him so limp in the oxygen box.. He would have definitely died if we didn't get him any blood.. So we just had to take the chance..

Still very upset over this.

Does anyone know of any good Cat Farms in the Chonburi Area?

ํYes, It died also because of the wrong blood type, It desperately needed a blood transfusion, but we had only our cat to donate blood. The kitten needed the blood or he would have died that night.. So the vets said the only thing we could have done was give it a try, it would have taken almost 24 hours to test the blood type as they would have had to send it to Bangkok and they didn't have the time.. It was our last chance..

Its very hard deciding what to do in this situation, so it was best to leave it to the vet.. It was heart breaking to see him so limp in the oxygen box.. He would have definitely died if we didn't get him any blood.. So we just had to take the chance..

I am pretty sure that Nuern Plub Warn Animal Hospital can type blood. I too have gone through the heartbreak of having a desperately ill pet and being told that no x-ray facility, have to send blood to BKK, etc. Once night I was moved from vet to vet until I ended up at Nuern Plub Warn who were able to do barium meal and disprove previous diagnosis of bowel obstruction. Bloodwork was done that showed dog had a disease caused by tick bite.

On the pets plants and vets forum there is a guy in Bangkok who has kittens that will be ready shortly,I know it is a fair way to go but they look well cared for and very cute. He is looking for good homes for them so maybe it is worth a look. I have his number if you want to pm me.

i see parvo has been mentioned here.

i would like to share this with you all in the hope it may avoid the premature death and heartbreak the loss of an animal can bring

if you have any young animal that can get parvo then read up about it before it happens

learn all about the symptoms and be ready for it coming.

it likely will.

it can come from anywhere, even if you keep the dog in and allow no social contact at all, it can still strike you.

as our dog had never been out of the house and grounds, the vet thought that our dogs contracted it from birds transferring the virus by eating from food bowls of local animals then to our dogs food bowls

when it does happen take it to a vet as fast as you can, tell thm its parvo, (you will know) and get the animal on a drip and start o the normal treatments

then get some Roche Tamiflu human vaccine, its the HN51 bird flu vaccine

this immediately stops the progress of the virus in its tracks

its in pill form and 6 pills will cost you around 4000 baht

its prescription only so you will have to use you skills of persuasion to get it

i got mine from BPH, i told them i was going on a grand tour to Laos, Vietmam, Burma etc and wanted then to hand if i got bird flu.

the drug restricts the reproduction of the virus and in doing so it cannot overwhelm the host

the host can then fight off the virus by itself

*be warned:

this is only effective if you get it inside the host animal early

parvo has a run of first sign to dead in 6-7 days

you need to have detected it and started treatment at least within the first 4 days or its too late, there will be to much virus in the animal.

**also please note:

i am not a vet and this is not a recomended treatment for parvo.

it was one i used to save the lives of my two great danes.

i researched it on the internet on one long sad night when my dane was very sick indeed in the animal hospital in Soi Nungplabwan

my experience there and particularly with Dr, Goy has been second to none.

despite others comments, i cannot fault them

my dane looked to be at deaths door with parvo after 2 days in hospital.

i gave him the Tamiflu at 8-30am after getting it from BPH, told Dr Goy what i thought, showed her my research and she said at this point, we can try anything, it may kill or cure.

he was that sick.

thank fully he was showing signs of recovery by 2 pm and 2 days later he was home.

considered an almost miraculous recovery, Dr. Goy shared the results with many local vets and even Siracha tiger zoo have stocks of Tamiflu now for feline parvo as does the animal hospital now so you will not need to go to BPH or a doctor to get it if you go there with your sick animal

my second dane had also caught parvo, likely from his brother, thank fully it was some days later and they were not very sick together

we treated him with Tamiflu (again i went to BPH and told them i needed more drug as my wife had now decided to go with me on a grand tour) at home and Dr. Goy visited him on two occasions

he was only mildly ill and did not contract full parvo as the tamiflu stopped it reproducing..

parvo is a killer and will kill your animal if you do not do something drastic as i did.

i hope this helps someone

If you're not worried about having a pedigree kitten I know the owner of the Fishermans Rest at Mabprachan has about 6 lovely little kittens which will be ready in about a week or 2's time.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you his telephone number. :o

If you're not worried about having a pedigree kitten I know the owner of the Fishermans Rest at Mabprachan has about 6 lovely little kittens which will be ready in about a week or 2's time.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you his telephone number. :D

Thought the meat in the curry was a tad " game " :o

do cats have different blood types like human? Maybe the transfusion is what killed the kitten... wrong blood type?? :D:D

I am pretty sure that Nuern Plub Warn Animal Hospital can type blood. I too have gone through the heartbreak of having a desperately ill pet and being told that no x-ray facility, have to send blood to BKK, etc. Once night I was moved from vet to vet until I ended up at Nuern Plub Warn who were able to do barium meal and disprove previous diagnosis of bowel obstruction. Bloodwork was done that showed dog had a disease caused by tick bite.

ํYes, They can do blood tests, but they tried to take his blood and after several attempts, poking several holes in his body, they gave up, said he was too small and they could not get the needle in his vein. :D This is the reason why I brought him out and took him to a better professional place :o The other vet did it successfully on first attempt.

I use to take my animals to the Nernplubwan vets when he had his small surgery just off Pattayaklang, before he opened his larger branch - the owner was a very nice chap and very professional but since they moved to Nernplubwan, the owner is never there nowadays and has left his surgery being run by staff not so professional and helpfull, in fact quite cheeky the last time i went, so I am now on the look out for a new vets, i will be taking my animals elseware. I had a large bird, which was sick some time back, i took the bird and the lady in reception said that he was fine, and very strong, 4 days later my bird died - she never even got it out of the cage.

The chances that the blood types matched was very remote. The vet was probably only interested in your money.

The chances that the blood types matched was very remote. The vet was probably only interested in your money.

Here we go with those people who jump to conclusions thinking they know the whole story. Well, it was either take the chance and try the blood transfusion, or let the cat die that night. There was no time to test the blood types in Bangkok...

So what would you have done, Mr Know-it-all Tropo, Let the little cat die instead???????? They sat with him from 11:45 PM until the minute he died at 5:50am that night, this is not including the previous 2 days he was there, when he was watched over and checked on every 30 minutes. They watched his every breath. We did blood a transfusion, oxygen tank and drip for 2 days, several injections, several blood tests, my other cat was put to sleep to take her blood as she was going wild with the needle, she also had a blood test to test it was suitable, she was also put on a drip and stayed the night. All this for 4,000 baht, and you say they were probably only interested in money?

Like I said, this is a very sad situation for any animal lover. Just shows how heartless and cold hearted you are with your negative nasty comment. Go waste your time on another thread. Almost everything you post on here seems to be Negative. You must be so bored. Get a life. :o

Edited by Meg_ken2003

I hate going past those pet stalls - they're disgusting - is that poor parrot thats pulled all its feathers off still breathing I wonder?

If feathers are missing all over the body it is not feather plucking, it is a incurable piscatine bird desease commonly called PBFD and could be transmitted to other birds if you have any. I lost a Cockatoo to this desease and it broke my heart as he was a loving bird but became naked as a jay bird. My vet could not diagnose the disease but internet research with identical picture confirmed the worse. Fortunately I had isolated him into a separate room and none of my other birds became infected.

Buy from a reputable breeder or pet store like Mini's Aviary on 3rd road.

I hate going past those pet stalls - they're disgusting - is that poor parrot thats pulled all its feathers off still breathing I wonder?

If feathers are missing all over the body it is not feather plucking, it is a incurable piscatine bird desease commonly called PBFD and could be transmitted to other birds if you have any. I lost a Cockatoo to this desease and it broke my heart as he was a loving bird but became naked as a jay bird. My vet could not diagnose the disease but internet research with identical picture confirmed the worse. Fortunately I had isolated him into a separate room and none of my other birds became infected.

Buy from a reputable breeder or pet store like Mini's Aviary on 3rd road.

Could you recommend a good vet for birds in the Pattaya area?

Dont worry about the negatvie comment above megken, I think that Mr Clevercloggs is jealous because your picture is far better than his lol.

No - He's just into the habit of writing Negative comments. Never seen him post a positive one yet :o

I've just had another friend come around who told me he also bought a Puppy at Theprasit which also died a couple of weeks after.. This market is unbelievable..

I've now got a new kitten, very healthy. He was a couple of thousand more but well worth it for the good health, If anyone is looking to buy a cat/dog, Id recommend going to a dog/cat farm, or buying from people who are selling their own pets babies.

There are also plenty of breeders advertising there animals online in Bangkok & Chonburi area - its worth it for peace of mind, its not worth the worry of buying from Market stalls. I pity all of those poor little animals, i really do !!!

Megken, I am very pleased you have a new kitten and I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from him or her, it was very good of you to share your experiences and to try to warn others and I am sorry for the negative comments you received. It must have been a very difficult decision for you about the blood transfusion and I am sure that in your situation I would have done the same thing, after all a small chance is better than no chance at all.

Here we go with those people who jump to conclusions thinking they know the whole story. Well, it was either take the chance and try the blood transfusion, or let the cat die that night. There was no time to test the blood types in Bangkok...

So what would you have done, Mr Know-it-all Tropo, Let the little cat die instead???????? They sat with him from 11:45 PM until the minute he died at 5:50am that night, this is not including the previous 2 days he was there, when he was watched over and checked on every 30 minutes. They watched his every breath. We did blood a transfusion, oxygen tank and drip for 2 days, several injections, several blood tests, my other cat was put to sleep to take her blood as she was going wild with the needle, she also had a blood test to test it was suitable, she was also put on a drip and stayed the night. All this for 4,000 baht, and you say they were probably only interested in money?

Like I said, this is a very sad situation for any animal lover. Just shows how heartless and cold hearted you are with your negative nasty comment. Go waste your time on another thread. Almost everything you post on here seems to be Negative. You must be so bored. Get a life. :o

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you understand the word "probably"?

Giving an untested blood transfusion is about the same as a death sentence. What would I have done? I would not have proceeded with the blood transfusion and let the cat die.

Edited by tropo

I myself personaly know Megken, they are a nice young couple who are brokenhearted with this matter, and i believe that they started this thread merely to warn people off from purchasing animals at markets, they did not start the thread to know whether or not you would have let the animal die or not. I myself am a Christian, and proud of it, and I was taught to try and save a life and not just sit back and let it die, whether it be animal or human, its still a life, have a heart mate !!!!! Myself and others think that they did the right thing in trying, so as said at the start of this thread, keep your hurtfull comments to yourself because we dont want to hear them at this upsetting time.

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you understand the word "probably"?

Giving an untested blood transfusion is about the same as a death sentence. What would I have done? I would not have proceeded with the blood transfusion and let the cat die.

I'm not going to lower myself and waste my precious time on such a cold hearted person. Im proud that I took the chance to save the poor little kittens life. Whether it was a 0.01% chance or 99% chance, as icequeen said, a small chance is better than no chance at all. It disgusts me that you would prefer to let the kitten die than take a chance at saving its life. I hope you don't own any animals yourself. Im glad I spent the extra thousand baht to take a chance at saving a life. If I didn't, I would be sat here now thinking that maybe the cat would still be alive if I had taken that chance.

As I said earlier, Im not going to bring myself down to arguing with you, behind your anonymous computer screen, but if you would like to meet for a drink to discuss our different feelings then I would be glad to! :D

Thank you Icequeen for your comments, they made me feel a lot better and I know in my heart that I tried my best for the poor little guy. I started this thread to warn people about the animals at theprasit as I don't want anyone else to experience what I have been through as it is a nightmare!

Still would like to hear experiences of other people who purchased animals at theprasit. Seems to be mostly horror stories! :D