7 Day Visa Extension

gk10002000

On my last stay in April I stayed an extra 7 days past my 30 day visa on arrival deadline. I asked around and some Brits I knew from the Pig and Whistle on Soi 7 told me the visa office over in Jomtien does that quick and easy. I also went on the internet and saw there was a short form to print out and some standard fee applied. Lazy man that I was I stopped into a visa/travel office on Soi LK Metro just below Soi Bukao in the afternoon. They charged an extra 200 Baht I think it was, on top of the standard fee and did everything for me. I signed the one page application form, gave them my passport, and everything came back the next day. In my mind, that was a fair price for them running the errand. My friends said they did it in person at the Jomtien office and it only was an hour or two wait. No big deal. While I always hate giving my passport to anybody, there were no problems. I think if I had gotten to the travel office early in the morning, they would have gotten my visa extension and passport back later in the same day.

Speaking of passports, this is one of the reasons I go to Thailand and have not traveled to Vietnam or some other countries yet. Here in the USA, you have to mail your passport to the Vietnamese embassy, then after some amount of time they send you back a Visa but with an expiration date and a travel by date. The nature of my job is such that I can rarely plan far enough ahead to book reservations and travel during the valid Visa time. This is why countries like Thailand and others that issue visas on arrival get my business. They are convenient and easy to work with.

Gettin anxious to fly soon. Three months away from the LOS and I am having withdrawal symptoms!

GK

On my last stay in April I stayed an extra 7 days past my 30 day visa on arrival deadline. I asked around and some Brits I knew from the Pig and Whistle on Soi 7 told me the visa office over in Jomtien does that quick and easy. I also went on the internet and saw there was a short form to print out and some standard fee applied. Lazy man that I was I stopped into a visa/travel office on Soi LK Metro just below Soi Bukao in the afternoon. They charged an extra 200 Baht I think it was, on top of the standard fee and did everything for me. I signed the one page application form, gave them my passport, and everything came back the next day. In my mind, that was a fair price for them running the errand. My friends said they did it in person at the Jomtien office and it only was an hour or two wait. No big deal. While I always hate giving my passport to anybody, there were no problems. I think if I had gotten to the travel office early in the morning, they would have gotten my visa extension and passport back later in the same day.

Speaking of passports, this is one of the reasons I go to Thailand and have not traveled to Vietnam or some other countries yet. Here in the USA, you have to mail your passport to the Vietnamese embassy, then after some amount of time they send you back a Visa but with an expiration date and a travel by date. The nature of my job is such that I can rarely plan far enough ahead to book reservations and travel during the valid Visa time. This is why countries like Thailand and others that issue visas on arrival get my business. They are convenient and easy to work with.

Gettin anxious to fly soon. Three months away from the LOS and I am having withdrawal symptoms!

GK

Being a US citizen, you would received a 30 day visa exempt entry, not a visa-on-arrival.

FYI, once you've filled out the form and picked a number at the Jomtien Immigration office, it's usually only a few minutes to wait. 15 to 30 minutes tops. Avoid Monday mornings.

OK. I used the wrong terminology for the 30 day thing I get stamped in my passport when I arrive at BKK.

My buddy has gone to cambodia two or thee times. Once for a day visa run and once or twice for a week visit I think. He said it was really good. Cambodia is on my radar for sure.