Parvo

it wrote this in a topic in the pattaya section but thought afterwards to post it here too.

i would like to share this with you all in the hope it may avoid the premature death and heartbreak the loss of an animal can bring

if you have any young animal that can get parvo then read up about the symptoms before it happens

learn all about the symptoms you can expect to see and be ready for it coming.

it likely will at sometime

it can come from anywhere, even if you keep the dog in and allow no social contact at all, it can still strike you.

as our dogs had never been out of the house and grounds, the vet thought that our dogs contracted it from birds transferring the virus by eating from food bowls of other local animals then brought it to our dogs food bowls

when it does happen take it to a vet as fast as you can, tell them its parvo, (you will know) and get the animal on a drip and start on the normal treatments

then get some Roche Tamiflu human vaccine, its the HN51 bird flu vaccine

this immediately stops the progress of the virus in its tracks

its in pill form and 6 pills will cost you around 4000 baht

its prescription only so you will have to use you skills of persuasion to get it

i got mine from BPH, i told them i was going on a grand tour to Laos, Vietmam, Burma etc and wanted then to hand if i got bird flu.

the drug restricts the reproduction of the virus and in doing so it cannot overwhelm the host

the host can then fight off the virus by itself

*be warned:

this is only effective if you get it inside the host animal early

parvo has a run of first signs of illness to DEAD in 6-7 days

you need to have detected it and started treatment at least within the first 3 days or its too late, there will be too much of the virus in the animal for them to fight themselves

** please note:

i am not a vet and this is not a Vet recommended treatment for parvo.

it was how i used to save the lives of my two great danes.

i researched it on the internet on one long sad night when my dane was very sick indeed with parvo in the animal hospital in Soi Nungplabwan

my experience there and particularly with Dr, Goy has been second to none.

i cannot fault them for their help with my dogs

my dane looked to be at deaths door with parvo after 2 days in the hospital.

i knew i had to do something or he was going to die

i gave him the hospital acquired Tamiflu at 8-30am, told Dr Goy what i thoughtit would do and wht might happen,i showed her my dozens of pages of research and she said at this point, we can try anything, it may kill or cure him, he was that sick.

thankfully by 2 pm he was showing signs of recovery and 2 days later he was home.

it was considered an almost miraculous recovery by all those involved.

Dr. Goy shared the results with many local vets and even the Siracha Tiger Zoo have stocks of Tamiflu now for feline parvo.

the animal hospital in soi nungpakwan has stocks now so you will not need to go to the human hospital or a doctor to get it if you go there with your sick animal

my second dane had also caught parvo, likely from his brother, thank fully it was some days later and they were not very sick at the same time

we treated him with Tamiflu (again i went to BPH and told them i needed more drug as my wife had now decided to go with me on a grand tour).

we took card of him at home and Dr. Goy visited him there on two occasions

he was only mildly ill and did not contract full blown parvo as the tamiflu stopped the virus reproducing..

parvo is a killer and will kill your animal if you do not do something drastic about it as i did.

i hope this helps someoneout there who may be worrying about losing a friend right now.

vaccinate your pup at 6 weeks just the parvo and then stick to the regular vaccine schedule; parvo shouldnt happen... we only see parvo in dogs that people didnt vaccinate (want to save money, waited too long, its only a dog, they are out door strong dogs, etc etc etc ... all dumb reasons.... including me who should have known better, my foofoo got parvo, but pulled thru last year...)... and best treatment is drip and flagyl after due to the dog's gut sloughing off and being damaged)...

bina

thank you very much, i will try to get tamiflu as well to stock it for emergency. lost two young dogs to parvo last month at the vet hospital, nothing they can do there apart from drip and antibiotic :o:D :D

vaccinate your pup at 6 weeks just the parvo and then stick to the regular vaccine schedule; parvo shouldnt happen... we only see parvo in dogs that people didnt vaccinate (want to save money, waited too long, its only a dog, they are out door strong dogs, etc etc etc ... all dumb reasons.... including me who should have known better, my foofoo got parvo, but pulled thru last year...)... and best treatment is drip and flagyl after due to the dog's gut sloughing off and being damaged)...

bina

its good advice to those who do not vaccinate for lots of reasons but both my danes had been vaccinated early and all their innoculation jabs were up to date.

they still got parvo

symtoms are: no appetite, vomitting lots of watery slime, smelly diarrhea, watery too and in the later stage bloody.

be alert at first vomitting slimy water and if your dog does not want to eat treats which it usually loves to eat. every hour counts. at the vet they can do a parvo test which is easy and result within minutes.

What are the symptoms? Is it more common in pups/adults/both? Which Nerm Plum Whan animal hospital did you go to?

its in pattaya

Thanks for the useless reply, anyone else want to try to give a more intelligent reply to my questions? There must be at least 6 veterinary clinics on SNPW, I have 13 dogs and might be able to give him some business.

its on this very section on the Thiavisa forum, its pinned at the top of the page under veterinarians but as you will likely have trouble finding that, its here for you

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=33225&st=0

its post number 24

it took me all of 3 minutes to find, likely as long as it took you to pen that rude response to me

Edited by sbk
flame removed-sbk

interesting that adult vaccinated dogs got parvo....

are u sure?? it wasnt coccidiosis? or some other viral or bacterial enteritis...

that would be very unusual to say the least, especially since mostly its young dogs, old dogs or immune compromised dogs

all the cases i've seen have been pups between vaccinations or rescued dogs that were in the city 'jail'...

or that they both ate something nasty? can often have the same or similar symtptoms...

btw, active charcoal given seems to help, if indeed it was caused by eating something spoiled with toxins... i've seen that work already twice for dogs that ate some kind of garbage (like road kill)....

bina

israel

What are the symptoms? Is it more common in pups/adults/both? Which Nerm Plum Whan animal hospital did you go to?

its in pattaya

Thanks for the useless reply, anyone else want to try to give a more intelligent reply to my questions? There must be at least 6 veterinary clinics on SNPW, I have 13 dogs and might be able to give him some business.

do some research for yourself then moron

a simple google search for 'pattaya animal hospital' will get you here http://www.pattayavet.com/

oh and by the way it's spelt Soi Neurn Plub Warn

if i had waited for someone to give me a leg up like you are doing, my dogs would be dead

***flame removed*** I currently use a vet on SNPW so my question were

1. What are the symptoms?

2. Is it more common in pups/adults/both?

3. Which Nerm Plum Whan animal hospital did you go to?

Timekeeper, you are the one out of line, yes I cannot spell but I asked 3 simple questions that you gave a ignorant answer to "it is in Pattaya"

Elfie was kind enough to give a very precise answer to question #1, can you give a precise answer to Question #2 and #3, if not please remain silent as it it better to "keep your mouth shut and have people think you are ignorant than it it to open it and prove they are right".

OK, any further insults will result in warnings issued. It is not necessary to be rude, or insult and there are times when an answer is misinterpreted. So, instead of flaming each other we will talk about parvo instead.

Hope this is clear to all involved.

I apologize, I like some others get a little emotional when it comes to our beloved dogs.

I believe I recently lost a loving little pup that may have had pavro and either my vet did not diagnose it as such or did not have the medicine mentioned to treat it. She was on IV for 3 days, diarrhea, vomiting, not eating and the breeder I bought her from never sent the immunization records after 5 requests, claimed they must have been lost in the mail. When I picked the pup up she showed me TKC records and shot records for a male and tried to tell me her records were the same but never could prove it. The dog fell ill 2 days after we brought her home and died after 5 days. Breeder says (and put in writing) that she will replace the pup in a few months so time will tell if she is reputable or not. Mean time I am out B12,500 and B3000 vet bill.

I take all my dogs to a vet on NPW and wanted to know which one has the proper medicine for it.

interesting that adult vaccinated dogs got parvo....

are u sure?? it wasnt coccidiosis? or some other viral or bacterial enteritis...

that would be very unusual to say the least, especially since mostly its young dogs, old dogs or immune compromised dogs

all the cases i've seen have been pups between vaccinations or rescued dogs that were in the city 'jail'...

or that they both ate something nasty? can often have the same or similar symtptoms...

btw, active charcoal given seems to help, if indeed it was caused by eating something spoiled with toxins... i've seen that work already twice for dogs that ate some kind of garbage (like road kill)....

bina

israel

I DID NOT SAY THEY WERE ADULT DOGS, YOU ASSUMED THAT.

ITS BEST NOT TO MAKE ASSUMPTIONS

THEY WERE 6 MONTHS OLD AND WETHER YOU THINK IT UNUSUAL OR NOT TO GET PARVO AFTER VACCINATION , THEY BOTH HAD PARVO.

AT THAT TIME IT WAS LIKELY THAT I KNEW MORE ABOUT PARVO THAN YOU DO, HAVING SPENT 2 FULL DAYS ON THE INTERNET RESEARCHING EVERY KNOWN CASE OF PARVO, DEAD OR ALIVE.

I WAS THERE WITH MY DYING DANE AND 4 FULLY QUALIFIED VETS WHO ALL CONCURRED IT WAS PARVO, AFTER HAVING EVERY TEST KNOWN TO MAN.

I WAS THE ONE THAT BROUGHT TAMIFLU TO THE TABLE TO SAVE HIS LIFE OR HE WOULD BE DEAD NOW

SO PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO SECOND GUESS THE VETS DIAGNOSIS NOW

BASED ON YOUR RESPONSE, IF A DOG HAD A GOOD PARVO VACCINATION RECORD YOU WOULD DISCOUNT IT AS A POSSIBLITY AND START LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE INSTEAD OF THE OBVIOUS, WHILST YOU WASTE TIME AND THE THE DOG IS DYING.

ANOTHER CONTRIBUTOR TO THIS THREAD HAS ALREADY SAID THEIR DOG WAS VACCINATED TOO AND STILL GOT PARVO

THE INTERNET IS FULL OF HEARTBREAKING ACCOUNTS OF DOGS DYING OF PARVO AFTER THEY HAD A GOOD INNOCULATION RECORD.

THE COMMON THREAD IS THAT THEY THOUGHT IT COULDN'T BE PARVO AS THEY HAD BEEN VACCINATED

BY SAYING THIS YOU ARE ALSO GIVING A SENSE OF FALSE SECURITY TO OWNERS OF DOGS OR CATS THAT MAY HAVE PARVO RIGHT NOW AND ARE THINKING IT CAN'T BE PARVO, THEY HAVE BEEN VACCINATED.

PLEASE DO NOT PERPETUATE THIS MYTH.

THANK YOU

Edited by timekeeper

Timekeeper shouting doesn't really help to get your message across. In fact, people tend to NOT listen anymore when one shouts.

I can imagine you get emotional after your experience; first the enormous stress and fear of having both your pups so sick with a high risk that they may die. Then, the enormous relieve and euphoria that they recovered so fast of after giving a medicine that YOU found it worked.

When you read my posts you will see that I have written several times about vaccines. They don't always work and there are many side-effects of which most aren't reported or even recognized.

Parvo seems to have many different strings and the vaccine doesn't cover them all. How much a dog gets protected from the vaccines depends a lot on the dog's immune system at the time of vaccination, the age of the pup and the protection it has received from the mother dog (maternal protection) and the vaccination schedule. That is, when vaccines are given too close together one booster can interfere with the other, leaving the dog less protected or unprotected.

I've had a distemper outbreak last year brought in by pups that developed the disease after being fully-vaccinated. About 17 dogs developed symptoms, while the vaccinations of ALL of them were up to date (all but one recovered, BTW).

Another vaccinated 6 months old pup developed Parvo, and recovered on IV, antibiotics and herbal med's (although, this pup only started to improve and fast after I started with the herbs). And now I'm taking care of an 7-8 months old Napolean mastiff pup that developed a huge bone problem due to a metabolic problem that is caused by the Parvo virus. Also he (and his brother) got Parvo after he was fully-vaccinated.

I don't believe at all that Bina is/was questioning your credibility. She has a great passion for animals, has been working for ages with them, and is now working at a veterinarian clinic. She is, like me, an life-time student where it concerns the mental and physical health of the animals, and is always open to learn new things.

By asking questions to you she was merely trying to understand what had happened in your case and to learn from it. Because, if the HN51 bird flu vaccine will help Parvo victims overcoming this dreadful disease, then that would be an enormous break-through, wouldn't it?!

Therefore, thank you for posting your experience. It certainly didn't fell on deaf man's ears.

And I'm very happy for you that your pups pulled through.

Nienke

thanks nienke. it is a very difficult subject on how to vaccine, which vaccines (there are different types and some even 'cover' 9 diseases at the same time...), is the dog's immunity really strong and ready, what is lurking in surroundings/other companion dogs etc.

it is a subject which keeps me busy since long time and it seems there is not much research done on it unfortunately.

as in my case here, one of the pups (3,5 months) had two vaccines already and seemed fit and strong, actually the biggest of the litter of 4 and always up and alert. the siblings did not get sick though being together always until the one showed signs of sickness. the other puppy that died was about 4,5 months old and has been vaccinated once before he came here (well the former owners said so). he seemed fit and healthy. he came here 3 weeks before he got sick, he showed symptoms at the same time as the other puppy. so i don't know if the new pup brought it in, if the birds brought it in or if it was lurking in the ground or whatever. it happened after a few days of heavy rains, so it might be, but i will never know!

one thing i know, i will never bring a puppy which shows these signs, anymore to the vetclinic. there is only iv and antibiotics and at night no one cares. two years ago i managed to pull through another puppy with parvo, with constant fluids under skin etc, but it was a fulltime job for about 3 days. it is not said that another one would have survived, but at least then it is my own fault and i can say i did what i could, as at the vets they die as well!

i read a lot about a herbal essence called 'parvaid' on the net which seems to be very effective, it is from usa. is this the one you are talking about nienke? i would also like to get this to have it here for emergency...

thanx nienke for the support

timekeeper i dont appreciate being yelled at.

in six months i have seen five puppies with supposed parvo, all pulled thru with standard but intensive treatment. one of the five had had his second vaccine but had also gone swimming in a desert spring (they are usually polluted here) ; and one had also eaten 'junk' so hard to say if parvo or not... we dont test with a parvo test, we do blood work and treat symptomatically.

my own foofoo had parvo or parvo like symptoms and basically looked like a floor mop , i'm still surprised he pulled thru as he is a very small dog. large dogs have more body weight and fat and dehydrate less quickly...

some breeds are more prone: sharpei and whippets greyhounds (all the sight hounds), rotties, no one knows why.

s for vaccines, we noticed for instance that a particular batch of rabies (which is govt controlled here) caused more allergic type reactions.... some brands we get have the coronavirus in it some dont, we can only buy what our country allows us to purchase...

most of the parvo deaths that i have heard about from the clinics here (and there are five! clinics close to me, and the one that i work at , far from my house and all the vets know and talk with each other frequently) or seen here have been from people who 1. didnt vaccinate cause of expense 2. didnt seek immediate vet treatment, again cause of cost 3. dogs were taken too young from their mothers (4 weeks here seems to be a norm among a large percent of the dog owning population)4. those that bought imported pedigreed dogs (mostly toy breeds) from thailand and russia where the age and vaccine and health status of the dog were uncertain (dog came in as a two month old but was in reality one month barely . poor little shitzu, from thailand.

bina

israel

thanx nienke for the support

timekeeper i dont appreciate being yelled at.

bina

israel

i do not appreciate being second guessed by you either

you weren't there, you don't know what happened

it was PARVO despite your assumptions & insistance at guessing at something else.

merely working at a clinic does not make you an expert.

even my vets did not know of this treatment and they have years of experience and are fully qualified

i do know my dog would have died had i not researched the Tamiflu option and took the bull by the horns and told my vet i was going ahead with my treatment despite her fears

for me it was a do or die option and i chose to do something instead of standing around looking at him, treating it by usually fatal traditional methods and praying the dog wouldn't die.

80% of dogs will die of parvo if left untreated or without treatment in the first 72 hours

thats a fact (google)

i gave the account of what happened 18 months ago to try to save other animals lives

meantime the vets in my hospital have adopted it as standard practise in treatment of parvo for those who can afford it.

they have stocks of Tamiflu at Siracha Tiger Zoo based on what happened with my Dane

they respect my opinion and i know from the vets feedback, it has saved other animals lives

if you do not like my diagnosis, or my attitude to you or my advise then thats ok with me

do not respond to any posts i might make and just blindly keep serving up traditional treatment as you have been doing to 'cure' parvo aflicted animals

others may choose to be a little more open minded, maybe be more desperate and may gain from the advice i gave

as we say in Thailand, its up to you

however as a test for you and your on line diagnostic skills, try to guess how i radically treated my other Great Dane for the supposedly incurable tickborne hepatazoon virus resulting from ingesting the Hepatazoon infected tick.

you know the virus, the one that goes through multiple recurring episodes, each episode more serious than the previous one until it kills the dog prematurely at around 3 years old

when he had it first diagnosed, i asked my vet what can be done, she said we can treat it each time it happens but the dog will die prematurely and it will be more and more expensive to treat as it progresses of the virus in the cycle of sick and well episodic periods

i said to her, what do most people do?, she said they usually euthanise the dog as they cannot afford the long term treatment and knowing it will die eventually anyway.

i did not follow her advise and did some home research again to resolve it

my dog has not had another episode since i started this treatment

if you get this right, i will certainly give you the respect you think you deserve

timekeeper

england

Just out of interest..Is Parvo virus is transmittable to humans??

I just recall from my days living in a remote area of northern Australia,living of the land and eating wild pigs occasionaly.

Maybe it is a diiferent strain but I always did a biopsy of the vital organs on an animal before eating it.

BTW I had a dogs at the time but never had a problem with parvo,just the wild pig population!

Just out of interest..Is Parvo virus is transmittable to humans??

I just recall from my days living in a remote area of northern Australia,living of the land and eating wild pigs occasionaly.

Maybe it is a diiferent strain but I always did a biopsy of the vital organs on an animal before eating it.

BTW I had a dogs at the time but never had a problem with parvo,just the wild pig population!

you can't catch the animal version of parvo from an infected animal, its a different strain of the virus and does not affect humans

however, Fifth disease is caused by infection with human parvovirus B19.

This virus infects only humans.

Pet dogs or cats may be immunized against parvo virus but these are animal parvo viruses that do not infect humans. Therefore, you cannot catch parvo virus from a pet dog or cat, and a pet cat or dog cannot catch human parvo virus B19 from an ill humanParvovirus B19 has been found in the respiratory secretions (e.g., saliva, sputum, or nasal mucus) of infected persons before the onset of rash,when they appear to just have a cold.

The virus is probably spread from person to person by direct contact with those secretions, such as sharing drinking cups or utensils.

In a household, as many as 50% of susceptible persons exposed to a family member who has fifth disease may become infected.

During recorded school outbreaks, 10% to 60% of students may get fifth disease.

i hope that helps

Edited by timekeeper

u dont have to scream.

i didnt assume. i didnt question wether or not your danes had parvo. i was just joining in a conversation and bringing up points.

geez.......

bina

no screaming deary

you say now that ''i didnt question wether or not your danes had parvo''

really?

sorry i must have misunderstood your first post ........lets have a look at it again:

'''''interesting that adult vaccinated dogs got parvo....

are u sure??

it wasnt coccidiosis?

or

some other viral or bacterial enteritis...

that would be very unusual to say the least,

especially since mostly its young dogs, old dogs or immune compromised dogs

or that they both ate something nasty?

can often have the same or similar symtptoms...

btw, active charcoal given seems to help,

if indeed it was caused by eating something spoiled with toxins...

i've seen that work already twice for dogs that ate some kind of garbage (like road kill)...'''''.

did i really misunderstand what you said?

did i wrongly think you were second guessing me?

Really?

Timekeeper

England

Edited by timekeeper

you can't catch the animal version of parvo from an infected animal, its a different strain of the virus and does not affect humans

however, Fifth disease is caused by infection with human parvovirus B19.

This virus infects only humans.

Pet dogs or cats may be immunized against parvo virus but these are animal parvo viruses that do not infect humans. Therefore, you cannot catch parvo virus from a pet dog or cat, and a pet cat or dog cannot catch human parvo virus B19 from an ill humanParvovirus B19 has been found in the respiratory secretions (e.g., saliva, sputum, or nasal mucus) of infected persons before the onset of rash,when they appear to just have a cold.

The virus is probably spread from person to person by direct contact with those secretions, such as sharing drinking cups or utensils.

In a household, as many as 50% of susceptible persons exposed to a family member who has fifth disease may become infected.

During recorded school outbreaks, 10% to 60% of students may get fifth disease.

i hope that helps

Hey Thanks Timekeeper,

A very informative reply,it was obviously misinformation that I recieved from locals many years ago,re parvo.

The other thing that was encountered is Leptospirosis,whish I know was definitely transferable to humans.Never found any evidence but meatworkers were known to get it occasionally.

Thanks

Now I don't have to worry,

I will repeat this for everyone one last time.

Any more aggressive posts in this thread, including shouting or screaming, will result in suspension. I hope I have made myself totally clear here as my patience is very thin at this point.

timekeeper, thats called asking questions... i wasnt asking u as specific, i was asking in general, since:

vets make mistakes all the time; often, when a dog comes in with a clinical picture that appears different according to the blood work, we ask the same questions: it looks like pyometra, but is it? she has ticks, could it be...? white blood cells show xxx, could it be maybe ?... she was in here last week with symptoms x,y, z... did we overlook? we have four vets, each with his/her own methods of diagnostics, some better at it then others, some better at surgery than others, and i work with them all...

so far, i seem to be very good with diagnostics based on clinical symptoms, and general picture (outdoor or indoor dog? family said the dog did x,y,z... etc. we have one vet that doesnt really listen to the family, just looks at the dog as a picture. he could be missing important info. we misdiagnosed a unknowingly pregnant dog going into labour cause of this (vet didnt listen to the owner saying that his dog had had some male friends hanging around the yard, this was 63 ago... vet thought all symptoms and blood work showed tick fever; only after doing xrays (swollen belly, no teats) did he see the pups (i'd heard the owner and did some counting, but i'm just a technician so this particular vet doesnt listen to me)

we had a pyometra come in. we saved her life. but the blood work didnt show any signs of her womb being full of pus or even of her being ill, only her clinical signs and her age and circumstances did and her owners' concern that something wasnt quite right.

so yes, when a parvo comes in, especially since we dont test for it, just according to symptom, we do ask those very same questions... we had a parvo this friday (i had already left the clinic), but went home same day,pup hasnt been back, must be improving...just heard an other parvo story from the russian vet. awhile ago she had a puppy at her home for ICU care. the puppy seemed to improve. but about a week after going home, no fever, no symtoms, she died of acute starvation as her guts didnt absorb any nutrients although all the liquid calorie feeds etc were tried. her gut lining just never recuperated. but out of six parvos that this vet handled this year, two died, one partially cause the owners waited to come for treatment (costs money) and one cause the pup was very young (one of those imports that have their ages lied about).

anyway, if u like nitpicking... pick away...

made a list of common problems i've seen in the clinic in the past six months:

the maggot problem. we get about three dogs a week with maggots in a sore somewhere on their body (must be area specific) including one dog neeeding surgery in its anal area cause the maggots ate thru it... and people wait until the problem is very severe before coming in for help.

seen several tick fevers all made it except for a shar pei pup who's immune system seemed to crash (they are sensitive to lots of thngs, shar peis, but a big fad dog now with first time dog owners);

had two broken bones from dogs jumping off of balconies;

four wounded dog from fights-- each time the dogs were off leash and one we had to euthenize as the dog bit thru her intestines ; several shar pei, maltese, pekinese eyelid problems, lots of senior dogs with old age problems; two car accidents ; many many food poisoning type things that could have been anything from food poisoning to parasites/protozoa from drinking spring water, or garbage, and two organic phosphate poisonings that make it; one rat poison that made it, and the odd diabetes and epilepsy, many tumors and cancers and pyometras. among cats its the two main cat diseases since people dont like to vaccinate (money), renal failure, and bad teeth problems.

people here dont want to pay, they want to wait until the situation gets really bad then come and get something to alleviate symptoms, and thats that. they dont want blood tests (we have two different machines for on site testing; microscope, x ray stuff; some things that many vets here dont have. ) they dont want to put a lot of money in to the animal. they dont want fancy surgery with pins and wiring, just a cast and the dog can walk, no problem. two owners werent willing to pay for treatment for what i think was parvo (pups, not vaccinated, classic symptoms) so the dogs got preliminary care and went home probably to die.... thats life here. more then 50 % of the people here get puppies and somewhere between getting the microchip and first vaccines, and before getting the final rabies vaccine they've already gotten rid of the pup. dont see many of these folks running for tamiflu for their dogs.

which all has nothing to do with the original OP thread but so what.... a good a place as any to gripe about stupid dog owners...

bina

israel

leptosprirosis -- thanx for the info to whom ever posted it, (cant see the post so dont remember the name) , i know it as a farmer's disease (those that work in irrigation etc since the pipes get filled with mice and mice piss)... went to google and found a great site about sheep farmers in n zealand... am sending the link to my goat vet... cant remember if we had mandatory vaccinations of lepto in our goats and sheep or not ; only our canines and ferrets got the shot... see, this forum has good stuff in it... even if not relavent to the original post...

come to think of it, i'm exposed to all these disgusting diseases all the time now, blood guts and gore... ichchchch.......

Edited by bina

• 9 months later...

Aww just reading this post reminded me of the young rottweiler male we got, we had him for not even 2 weeks and he had parvo. My Dad didn't notice anything, but one night we left him in the kitchen, so when i went to get a drink, he didnt jump up all happy to see me as he usually did. And i noticed his poop was a bit runnier than it should be. So i told my dad in the morning and he was taken to a vet, left there for 3-4 days, on the 5th day, my mum and dad went to see him at the vets, i was told he was crying for my mum and dad but they were going to pick him up later. When they went to pick him up, they were informed he died only 20 minutes before they arrived there. Very sad as i had hoped the next time I'd be seeing him was when he was all better, apparently not.

I blame to seller to be honest, when we walked into the "store", i noticed the place stank really bad. And at home the pup was never around the 2 other rottweilers we had so he must've caught it from another dog at the shop. Some people just don't know how to take care of the dogs before they're sold sadly, so if you're ever in chiang mai and go to the pet market, dont go to the shop to the right side then on your left, it should have some big steps infront of it. Boycott much, but i don't think it's fair that the pup had to be in those type of conditions and have a short life due to it.