Finest Restaurant In Chiang Mai

tipsy

Hey,

Could you guys advise me as to the finest restaurant in Chiang Mai. Have a special occasion coming up and I am lost as to where to go - haven't been in Chiang Mai long. I know of Le Crystal and Le Coq D’Or already

Price isn't a problem, nor type of cuisine. I just want to make sure its special

Thanks for your advice guys/girls

Tipsy

The House

g

I ate there recently and the table was covered in rose petals a couple of inches deep. It certainly had the desired effect on the woman I took there!

The food was kind of average though. The bill for two people with wine but only fish entres was nearly 3000 Baht. Both fish dishes were very tasty

I ate there once before and had the pork which wasn't very good at all considering the price

No personal experience but the Farang Ses out at the Mandarin Oriental may appeal but this is platinum card territory. This is what Tatler Thailand state:

SETTING

In the heart of an opulent multibillion- baht hotel, Farang Ses with its high wooden ceilings, dripping chandeliers, gigantic teak columns and elegant art deco detailing overlooks the infinity swimming pool and paddy fields below. Stunning.

FOOD

Enter gastronomic heaven – this is sophisticated French cuisine at its classic best. The menu, while not extensive, includes such delights to tease the appetite as pan-fried goose liver with a creamy caramelised cherry sauce, or flavoursome and creamy snails fricassee with vegetables in mustard sauce and micro leaves. In order to clear the palate for even more exiting dishes, the chef offers tomato mousse before the mains, of which the absolute highlight is noisette of roebuck in bread crust, quince chutney, sauteed walnut gnocchis, mushrooms and barolo jus, the meat as tender as the best kobe and with only a subtle scent of game. Another intriguing dish is steamed pigeon breast in artichoke with broccoli pine nut puree and red wine sauce, rich in aroma and taste. For dessert, chocolate sabayon with spicy caramel and vanilla bourbon ice cream are particularly memorable.

WINES

The most impressive wine list in Chiang Mai and north Thailand. Very carefully thought out wines to complement each dish in the menu.

SERVICE

Impeccable. The staff is well trained and knowledgeable, anticipating needs before they arise, and provides friendly service.

PRICE

You pay for quality. A meal for two without wine will set you back 7-8,000 baht.

No personal experience but the Farang Ses out at the Mandarin Oriental may appeal but this is platinum card territory. This is what Tatler Thailand state:

SETTING

In the heart of an opulent multibillion- baht hotel, Farang Ses with its high wooden ceilings, dripping chandeliers, gigantic teak columns and elegant art deco detailing overlooks the infinity swimming pool and paddy fields below. Stunning.

FOOD

Enter gastronomic heaven – this is sophisticated French cuisine at its classic best. The menu, while not extensive, includes such delights to tease the appetite as pan-fried goose liver with a creamy caramelised cherry sauce, or flavoursome and creamy snails fricassee with vegetables in mustard sauce and micro leaves. In order to clear the palate for even more exiting dishes, the chef offers tomato mousse before the mains, of which the absolute highlight is noisette of roebuck in bread crust, quince chutney, sauteed walnut gnocchis, mushrooms and barolo jus, the meat as tender as the best kobe and with only a subtle scent of game. Another intriguing dish is steamed pigeon breast in artichoke with broccoli pine nut puree and red wine sauce, rich in aroma and taste. For dessert, chocolate sabayon with spicy caramel and vanilla bourbon ice cream are particularly memorable.

WINES

The most impressive wine list in Chiang Mai and north Thailand. Very carefully thought out wines to complement each dish in the menu.

SERVICE

Impeccable. The staff is well trained and knowledgeable, anticipating needs before they arise, and provides friendly service.

PRICE

You pay for quality. A meal for two without wine will set you back 7-8,000 baht.

That price is ridiculous. They're pricing as if lots of people on expense accounts will be eating there. Nearly $300 for two people in the back end of a third world country.

If they were in Bangkok I could see it, but even foreign visitors who aren't acclimated to local prices must balk at that

PRICE

I like good food, but not to the point of throwing away money. I was spoiled in San Francisco. My guess is that I could get a much better meal there for less than half the price or fly to Singapore and eat like a king.

I haven't tried the Farang Ses out at the Mandarin Oriental though and I won't at those prices.

I have tried the Fujian there at the Mandarin Oriental, found it expensive but good quality. Enjoy the Dim sum there on a Sunday, though as you point out Mahseer, a little on the expensive side.

When you back in CM, I'll get back on Monday 7th July?

tipsy in his original post stated 'Price isn't a problem' so now he has another option to consider.

mickmac I'm back on the 10th and fancy some of the 'noisette of roebuck in bread crust' you paying? I'll get the tuk tuk.

cheers

Hi UG,

It is a set price menu, assorted Dim Sum, followed by soup, a main course and then a sweet. The cost is 699++ bhat per person. Though with a bottle of wine etc. the bill soon adds up.

I think Le Crystal also does a lunch menu, not dim dum I hasten to add, for a similar price.

Regards

I have tried the Fujian there at the Mandarin Oriental, found it expensive but good quality. Enjoy the Dim sum there on a Sunday, though as you point out Mahseer, a little on the expensive side.

When you back in CM, I'll get back on Monday 7th July?

Eaten at Fujian just once but will go back the moment 'that' cheque arrives in the post. Unobtrusive yet absolutely 1st class service anticipating your every need.

My mushroom soup contained just one enormous mushroom and it was Food for the Gods.

As a 4-some we took in our own wine (1 red 1 white which were immediately put in a nearby fridge) and at the end they Amazingly waived the corkage charge.

You could take ANYONE there.

Ideally me.

I can vouch for the Farang Ses at Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi. We had a degustation menu which, paired with a series of incredible wines, literally brought me to tears. I would never have thought it possible but there was a moment when the food, wine, ambience, service -- and company -- was so overwhelming that I just sat there with a silly smile on my face and savoured it all, tears running down my face. Laugh at me if you must but it was that special.

The bill was obscene but the occassion was 'once-in-a-lifetime' and I will never forget that evening.

As it happens, our lunch was a bowl of khanom ching in the market, cheap and delicious. And that sort of encapsulates Chiang Mai for me -- offering its residents and visitors wonderful experiences at both ends of the scale.

Mahseer,

Will take you and wife for the Sunday Dim Sum session, how does that sound? Will have to check to see if I can get another mortgage before agreeing to Farang Ses!!!

Will see you in a couple of weeks mate.

I think I will try Farang Ses. I will also stay there the night as it looks/sounds beautiful.

Thanks guys for the help and I will try all of your suggestions over the next month to decide myself where is 'my' favourite

For a suggestion of my own I'm not sure if you guys know of the 'Tea Room' along the river just past Good View.. Big pink building. Great to go there for tea in the afternoon (when the weather is good). Im not sure if its well known but of the few places I have found already and really enjoyed this is one.

Tipsy,

You could always try thr patissery(excuse the spelling), at Mandarin Oriental, sit in the small courtyard or in the shop itself, drinking tea or coffee and trying to avoid ordering another cake/scone etc. you get the picture I'm sure.

Good luck

Jiras place ......turn left off the 1317 after the garage on the road to the springs ....her pork and onions are ..... :o

...when I turn up she gets in the Heinees from across the road ...ice cold....(locals only drink chang )... aroi mak.....saw another white face in there once ...wonder who that was..? :D

I think I will try Farang Ses. I will also stay there the night as it looks/sounds beautiful.

Thanks guys for the help and I will try all of your suggestions over the next month to decide myself where is 'my' favourite

For a suggestion of my own I'm not sure if you guys know of the 'Tea Room' along the river just past Good View.. Big pink building. Great to go there for tea in the afternoon (when the weather is good). Im not sure if its well known but of the few places I have found already and really enjoyed this is one.

Good luck with Farang Ses, It's been closed for 3 months and doesn't open till September. Give them a call to confirm but thats what they told me when I tried to book a month or two ago. Major renovations I believe. We ended up going to Le Crystal which was pretty good but we were practically the only people in there, so that felt a bit strange.

I think the Thai restaurant at the Mandarin is very good but others have disagreed in the past.

Has anyone been to the four seasons ? Is that worth a visit ?

Good luck with Farang Ses, It's been closed for 3 months and doesn't open till September. Give them a call to confirm but thats what they told me when I tried to book a month or two ago. Major renovations I believe. We ended up going to Le Crystal which was pretty good but we were practically the only people in there, so that felt a bit strange.

I think the Thai restaurant at the Mandarin is very good but others have disagreed in the past.

Has anyone been to the four seasons ? Is that worth a visit ?

Yes you are right, recieved a reply 'Farang Ses restaurant will be closed from 31 March to 15 September 2008'. This information is very well hidden on the website. Shame as was looking forward to that.

As I now have a few hours to change my plans I guess that reservations are not required in most places/ I'd be very suprised to find a full restaurant with how quiet the town has been looking.

But thanks for the info, would of saved me a wasted journey had I not contacted them in advance.

Tipsy

Yes, I was most put out that Farang Ses was closed, considering I chose and wrote the Tatler reviews, it would have been good of them to tell me (did the reviews in September 07, book came out in April 08). Nevermind. It is very special, and I highly recommend it. It is on a par with some of the best restaurants I have ever been to in the world (admittedly not that many!) I also recommended Terraces at Four Seasons for ambiance, though was very dissapointed with service and food about nine months ago. Recently I heard that the chef from the tended camp has taken over the helm, and I can vouch for his excellence (Thai chef too!). The House is a staple, consistently good, atmospheric, original cuisine and solid wine list, Rachamankha for a quiet tete a tete with some very intriguing Yunnanese, Thai, Malay, Burmese, western fusion is very good, The Chedi is superb for Indian and also fine meats and great ambiance and wine list. The list does go on, Mi Casa, Le Crystal, Le Coq d'Or, grumpy Piccolo Roma, Saen Kham Terrace for good Thai food, but not that high end, Fujian, then you get the consistently good Chiang Dao Nest, Giorgio, etc. Good luck with your choice.

I ended up choosing Le Crystal in the end... (would of been farang ses if was open)

Was very pleased with the food, Cost was similar to the quoted Farang Ses price, Staff and Service excellent although we were the only customers there.

Beautiful place, I think lunch there with the sun shining would be great as the view of the river and garden looked nice.

I will be trying Mi Casa next weekend to see how that compares.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it was a wonderful night.

Tipsy

Yes, I have found the Kentucky Fried Chicken in Airport Central Department very good. I liked the fact that they put the food on a plate with knife and fork if you eat in. Each table is supplied with dedicated ketchup and chilli sauce bottle. There is also a childrens play area at no extra cost. In addition to this there is a convenient wash basin provided with soap dispenser within the restaurant itself. Service and cleanliness are excellent. A must do for any haute cuisine fan.

Yes, I have found the Kentucky Fried Chicken in Airport Central Department very good. I liked the fact that they put the food on a plate with knife and fork if you eat in. Each table is supplied with dedicated ketchup and chilli sauce bottle. There is also a childrens play area at no extra cost. In addition to this there is a convenient wash basin provided with soap dispenser within the restaurant itself. Service and cleanliness are excellent. A must do for any haute cuisine fan.

I'm sure its the childrens play area that attracted you. The kids can drop you off there and eat without listening to you babble on

Now guys - Keep it down please. I'm leaving the troll alone for now because it made me smile - briefly. I will take short shrift with others who rise to the bait and take this further off topic.

I'm sure its the childrens play area that attracted you. The kids can drop you off there and eat without listening to you babble on

"babble on" ? what on earth are you talking about?

"babble on" ? what on earth are you talking about?

Babble:

v.intr.

1. To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds: Babies babble before they can talk.
  2. To talk foolishly or idly; chatter: “In 1977 [he] was thought of as crazy because he was babbling about supply side” (Newt Gingrich).
  3. To make a continuous low, murmuring sound, as flowing water.

v.tr.

1. To utter rapidly and indistinctly.
  2. To blurt out impulsively; disclose without careful consideration.

n.

1. Inarticulate or meaningless talk or sounds.
  2. Idle or foolish talk; chatter.
  3. A continuous low, murmuring sound, as of flowing water.

http://' target="_blank">Now as p1p has suggested please take your comments elsewhere, They are neither wanted or needed in an otherwise helpful thread.

I ended up choosing Le Crystal in the end... (would of been farang ses if was open)

Was very pleased with the food, Cost was similar to the quoted Farang Ses price, Staff and Service excellent although we were the only customers there.

Beautiful place, I think lunch there with the sun shining would be great as the view of the river and garden looked nice.

Tipsy

Now when you try Mi Casa be sure to give me a call Tipsy and I can have the big mac on stand by for ya missus :o

Tipsy

Now when you try Mi Casa be sure to give me a call Tipsy and I can have the big mac on stand by for ya missus :D

:o:D:D:D:D:D:D Neither of us felt hungry after the tequila though B)