Standard Way Of Counting The Salary

Hi

Do you guys know how employers usually count a salary in Thailand.

I mean, if i earn a monthly salary of 30 000 baht, and start the 27th of June, and quit the 13th of august. What would be the standard way for the employer to count my salary during these months? Would he count 30 000 divided with 20 days (i work 5 days a week)? in order to know what i should earn in one day? But then again, some months have more than 20 work days.

Can someone help me out?

so you are only planning to stay in the job for a month and a half?

be careful, as some employers may not pay you at all!

Agreed....any employer would be within their rights to withhold at least two weeks of your money (the last two weeks)

You technically would be in breach of your "contract" as you are monthly paid you normally have to work a months notice...

Ok, let me make it clear, i used "me" or "i", but i could have might as well used "someone", it is not important, its not about me personally, so don´t worry, i am not gonna quit a job anytime soon, but i curious how i works.

I am interested in how employers usually would count the salary for someone who is coming in late in one month, and drops out in the middle of another month, lets leave out all the other problems that might come up, i am only interested in how the salary would be counted in a regular situation.

I'm not sure if this is "standard" or not, but in the past I've just converted the salary to an equivalent hourly rate and paid on that basis. The equivalent hourly rate being the yearly salary divided by 2080 (52 weeks x 40 hours).

I think at most large companies who pay monthly do it as you alluded - work out a daily rate and pay pro rata on that.

It certainly worked out that way when I started a job a few days before the end of the month and my first pay was just over a months worth.

Edited by Prakanong

I agree with Prakanong, calculating a day rate is the usual way but you have to be careful on the definition of your salary and what it covers according to the Labour Laws.

If your salary includes for your weekends off then the yearly salary is calculated based on 365 days, if not then it should only be calculated on the actual paid days.

june: 4 days out of 30 = 0.133 =>.................=> 4000

july: one month full = 1 =>...........................=> 30000

august: 13 days out of 31 = 0.419 =>............=> 12580.65

(0.133+1.000+0.419)*30,000= 46580.65

Hmm, interesting.

Newbee, do you suggest that the amount of money you receive on one day is dependent on that particular month? that would mean that for example if i am sick for 3 days in June it will cost me more than if i am sick 3 days in august?

Hmm, interesting.

Newbee, do you suggest that the amount of money you receive on one day is dependent on that particular month? that would mean that for example if i am sick for 3 days in June it will cost me more than if i am sick 3 days in august?

Yes that would be correct. Your salary is paid on a monthly basis. Therefore calculate the number of working days in the month and divide your salary by that figure. If working 5-days-a-week in June then your maximum working days will be 21. Divide 30,000 by 21 = Bt1,428.57 per day. In July it would be Bt1,304.35 per day (23 work days).

But as someone else pointed out, if the person left part way through the pay period - especially if the person left without providing any notice - the employer would be within their rights to withhold that payment.

Yes, this is true

First, your working period is only a bit more than a month

Second, your salary is the amount per month.

And Third, You are to work only for 2 (two) days in June, How are you going to be sick for 3 (three) days :o ?

Your employer may want to pay you on the basis of the number of working days:

June: 2 out of 21 days

July: 1 month

Aug: 9 out of 21 days

= 45714.29 baht

Or even less

Aug: 8 out of 20 days (excl. the holiday on Aug.12)

= 44875.14 baht

But remind him that you eat your food and pay your rent on weekends, too.

You're short changing him out of 761.82 Baht.

Pattayaparent took a different approach.

Your working period covers 48 days,

=>48 days / (365 days a year / 12 month a year) *30,000 = 47342.47, hence the difference of 761.82 Baht that (s)he mentioned referring to my first post in this topic.

But (s)he is wrong.

First, this year we have 366 days. Therefore, the number would rather be

=>48 days / (366 days a year / 12 month a year) *30,000 = 47213.12.

Second, why convert to annual numbers and then get back to monthly number when your salary is already specified in monthly terms.

And third, in your case this approach would bring you an unfair advantage (in my opinion).

Let's look at the calendar and skip July (1 month = 30 000) for the ease of calculations.

In June you work on Friday, enjoy Weekend, work on Monday. Finish.

In August, you start on Monday, weekend, workweek, weekend, Monday, Holiday (12/8), Wednesday, Finish.

10 working days vs. 7 days off (weekends/holidays)

Too many days off, don't you think so?

post-44875-1215005417_thumb.jpg

Yes, this is true

First, your working period is only a bit more than a month

Second, your salary is the amount per month.

And Third, You are to work only for 2 (two) days in June, How are you going to be sick for 3 (three) days :o ?

Your employer may want to pay you on the basis of the number of working days:

Aug: 9 out of 21 days

= 45714.29 baht

Or even less

Aug: 8 out of 20 days (excl. the holiday on Aug.12)

= 44875.14 baht

But remind him that you eat your food and pay your rent on weekends, too.

You're short changing him out of 761.82 Baht.

Pattayaparent took a different approach.

Your working period covers 48 days,

=>48 days / (365 days a year / 12 month a year) *30,000 = 47342.47, hence the difference of 761.82 Baht that (s)he mentioned referring to my first post in this topic.

But (s)he is wrong.

First, this year we have 366 days. Therefore, the number would rather be

=>48 days / (366 days a year / 12 month a year) *30,000 = 47213.12.

Second, why convert to annual numbers and then get back to monthly number when your salary is already specified in monthly terms.

And third, in your case this approach would bring you an unfair advantage (in my opinion).

Let's look at the calendar and skip July (1 month = 30 000) for the ease of calculations.

In June you work on Friday, enjoy Weekend, work on Monday. Finish.

In August, you start on Monday, weekend, workweek, weekend, Monday, Holiday (12/8), Wednesday, Finish.

10 working days vs. 7 days off (weekends/holidays)

Too many days off, don't you think so?

Because if you don't you get a different daily rate for each month and also a different hourly rate for each month.

Does your employer pay you overtime based on a fixed hourly rate or does the hourly rate change every month?

Secondly your employer expects you to honour your contract and so the hourly / daily rates are based on your full year's contract.

You're right about the Leap Year though, I forgot about that.