Starting Buying Shares

Hi all,

I've read quite a bit on this website about people trading shares and quite fancy having a go at it myself. I won't be investing too much to start with maybe £50 a month and see how it goes. I'm still in my twenties so its not too urgent for me to worry about the future.

As i have never invested in shares before i was just wondering if anyone could offer any general advise or pearls of wisdom. I am not after opinions of which stocks look good at the moment as i will do my own research on this. Rather i am after any practical advice that people could offer relating to the best bank to use to buy shares, what are reasonable transaction fees etc.

Thanks

Check out uk.etrade.com and see what their fees are although not sure if 50 pound/month is enough as you may have to pay min 10-20 pounds commission even for a online acc. so you would need to gain 20-30 % before you start making money. (thats if you gain !!)

Probably better off putting it in a fixed deposit acc if can get over 6% ?? and wait till you have 500 pound plus and then invest it in stocks.