90 Day Period, What Exactly Is It?

Hi, this may seem like a silly question but I'm not sure of the answer and having a little trouble finding it. If I want to apply for a 2 month Tourist Visa, for example, must I apply 90 days beforehand? That is to say, do I need to get my visa approved 90 days before my trip, or can it be approved at any time before my trip and then must be used within 90 days?

Thnks for you help!

BTW, great forum!

~A

The toursit visa is valid for 60 days, not 2 months, and can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days.

You need to apply for it in advance, but not 90 days in advance. Once you get the visa you have a period of 3 months to enter Thailand and make use of the visa.

A tourist visa is usually valid for travel to Thailand within 90 days from the date of issue of the visa. Upon arrival in Thailand you will receive permission to stay for 60 days. If you wish to stay longer you can apply for a 30-day extension of stay at any immigration office in Thailand for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

For your information I attach a copy of the tourist visa I received last year from the Thai consulate in Zurich, Switzerland.

post-21260-1214668275_thumb.png

See also this information on the website of the Immigration Bureau: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/conte...axpiredate.html

--

Maestro

The 90 days is normal period that a tourist visa is valid for entry, so you obtain when your entry will be within 90 days - normally just before travel. The visa itself will allow you to stay with 30 or 60 days and that stay, for most, can be extended another 30 days with application/payment inside Thailand.