Best Italian Restaurant In Pattaya

patsfangr

sad to hear pizza big's gone down hill when they opened with the original guys it was all premium ingredients imported and the food was always top quality, the original owner was a lovely guy and had been in the kitchen cooking since he was a child.they sold up and for a while the restaurant was ticking over and still producing good food..shame to hear it's gone down hill

i don't know how accurate this is now but i heard a wee while ago that the original owners of pizza big had opened another restaurant down towards jomtien on soi korea or something like that?...for the quality of food that dan used to cook it would be worth a visit to see if they are still there...i grew up eating italian, pals owned restaurants and i travelled all over italy & the original pizza big was some of the best italian food anywhere..i'll have a look for the soi korea restaurant next time i'm over

other place that used to be good for a bowl of spag bol or a nice tuna salad was the old guys restaurant on the hill as you go towards pattaya tai/jomtien..food was always consistant and hit the spot

I would also recommend Max - good value and the pasta was spot on. Also, there is a very small resturant just off soi buakaow, near the Essex Arms and bowling club. I went a few weeks ago, the food was good, the wine very cheap but very drinkable. The place itself is very basic but it had a good atmosphere - they stick some long tables outside at night which were full of Italians - always a good sign.

Agreed, good place that. Worth seeking out.

• 10 months later...
Have enjoyed excellent Italian food in Bangkok and Chiang Mai but would be hard pressed to recommend anywhere in Pattaya.Mediocrity seems the norm,but more in hope than confidence will give La Luna a try.

Yes I agree better places in CM. However, I do enjoy Volterra Italian Restaurant, located on 504/517 Soi VC just off Soi 17. Real Tuscan Italian chef with lots of tats, and basically HONEST food.

Have enjoyed excellent Italian food in Bangkok and Chiang Mai but would be hard pressed to recommend anywhere in Pattaya.Mediocrity seems the norm,but more in hope than confidence will give La Luna a try.

Yes I agree better places in CM. However, I do enjoy Volterra Italian Restaurant, located on 504/517 Soi VC just off Soi 17. Real Tuscan Italian chef with lots of tats, and basically HONEST food.

Agree. Volterra is authentic -- reminds me of trattorias I loved in Italy.

Alot of overpriced places mentioned...

I'll give my vote for best to Tino's or whatever the 90Baht spaghetti joint on Tappraya is called...

Pizza Big used to have great pizza but have not tried for years.....

Edited by Utterlyuseful

• 8 months later...

Seconded. I ate there last night after being frightened by the prices at Casa Pascal and I was very pleasantly surprised.

The upstairs seating has a better 'feel' to it and is less cramped than downstairs

The wine list is decent but a bit top heavy and with the notable absence of any dessert wine. We plumped for the special, an Aussie Cab/Shiraz blend at 750 baht which held it's own nicely but was a bit too warm.

Bruschetta 7/10 fresh, but not enough basil, and under seasoned.

Pasta portions were large, al-dente and the sauces well prepared with fresh ingredients.

The home made tiramisu was the best I've ever had, and big enough to share. I very nearly ordered another.

Service was warm and efficient, music was at the right volume.

It's somewhere I will return to for good honest Italian food at reasonable cost, although if the venue itself is a major consideration for you in choosing your restaurant, you might feel a bit let down.

No one has mentioned it yet so I Will. The Little Italy restaurant almost directly opposite Royal Garden Mall (just before the turn-in to Casa Pascal) on 2nd road is very good. The decor is very much like a little Italian trattoria and the service is excellent. I find the pasta dishes to be among the best in Pattaya and prices are reasonable considering the quality (B 150-B 250). There is an older Italian lady there most nites who appears to be the owner and I am sure she has a firm hand in keeping the quality up.

I would also recommend Max - good value and the pasta was spot on. Also, there is a very small resturant just off soi buakaow, near the Essex Arms and bowling club. I went a few weeks ago, the food was good, the wine very cheap but very drinkable. The place itself is very basic but it had a good atmosphere - they stick some long tables outside at night which were full of Italians - always a good sign.

yeah been this place a few timew allways busy and me and the wife always enjoy

charlie