Thai Citizenship Requirements

Also can't figure out why I have to submit our marriage license and business license each time. Don't they still have copies of that from last year???

At Suan Plu in BKK they only ask to see the originals and compare them with previously supplied copies. If there is a change for example in the house register of the wife then of course a new copy is required. We always go there with all copies but most of them are returned to us with the statement from the officer "don't need, have already".

up-country it may be different of course

opalhort

Yup, every year, same copies over and over again. And they need two of each (one for here, one for there). We don't have kids, do you suppose that makes a difference?

Anyway, I will be heading up to Bangkok next year with dear hubby and we will check out the Special Branch guys and see if they have any advice. Also, my husband's cousin's sister-in-law (how's that for a Thai connection?) has connections in the Interior Ministry so she is also checking around for us about getting citizenship. Keep your fingers crossed someone has some answers!

:o Yes that's correct, my wife bought a plot of land i Nakhon Sawan just last July and I too had to sign a paper document stating the same, but mine had English subs. So if they know in Nakhon Sawan then the people in "authority" must know pretty well all over the Kingdom.

... A Thai wife of a foreigner can now hold or purchase land without any problems.

But the foreign husband has to sign a paper stating that he will not have any claims to this property in case of death  / divorce and that the funds to purchase the property are provided entirely by the Thai wife.

opalhort

I can confirm this is true as we purchased a townhouse last month. Registered in wife's name (my surname) and I signed a document that I had no claim. The document was in Thai and they never asked if I understood what I was signing.

TH

No problem samran, basically, the financial requirements are minimum. You do have a thai passport right? As long as you are legally allowed to work in Thailand you can show that you are "taking care" of your wife.

thats right, I am very very luck to have to 2 PP's and the fact that the financial req2uirements not the same for a farang husband/thai wife. My wife and I would consider having our (future) kids spending some of their younger years in Thailand, so its good to know that for me at least, the paperwork issues are going to be minimal.