How Much Should I Ask? (salary)

hi,

I recently applied for a job in Ayuttaya. The business is a small American company that produces cicuit boards for all different types of products and sells them. the job I am applying for is to basically be the middleman between the US customers and the company. to relay the information back and forth.. if the customer has a complaint or wants something, basically help get it done.

I went for an interview and they are offering me the job, but I have to call him to let him know that I am definitely interested, then we can talk about salary and beneifts, etc.

a few things..

1) Native english speaker is what they primarily want.

2) I was in the IT field, so I am a little familiar with the products they sell

3) I have strong customer service experience. about 3yrs working experience.

4) I am expected to work OT when needed (which could sometimes be often)

5) I could get calls in the middle of the night from our US customers if there is a problem. and I would have to deal with it.

6) this is a new position, currently there is only one person from India that is fluent in Thai.

7) like I said this is in Ayuttaya.. I have a feeling they might have trouble finding someone for this position. it's also not in a great location.. it's in a buisness complex, nothing to eat without driving out of the complex. just nothing around.

ok.. so question.. how much should I ask?

I am thinking 40,000Bt/month.. I have a feeling they will first offer me 25,000/month. I know that I can probably make 30,000/month teaching.. this is where I came up with 40,000/month. much more stress, and the demands are much higher.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Well, if you are an American, and not married to a Thai, and you want to obtain a long-term entry permit that allows you to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days at a time, you must earn at least 60,000 baht per month.

I don't know your age, but - why would you want to come to Thailand, live in Ayutthaya, and earn 40,000 baht per month? Are you figuring on building wealth that way?

Indo-Siam

the question was how much I should ask knowing the job description and my position on it. is it REASONABLE to ask for 60K/month? I don't think so.

I know that not all people who teach don't make 60K/month, they just get a work permit. I thought a tourist visa lasts a month or two.

FYI, I have thai citizenship also, so I don't need a visa. I live with my parents in Pathum Thani. both are close to Bangkok.

living in Thailand, no matter what I make, isn't exactly building wealth. I am not here to save, I am here for the experience. to learn thai language and culture, to get to know bangkok, to work with nonprofit organizations.

Well, if you are an American, and not married to a Thai, and you want to obtain a long-term entry permit that allows you to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days at a time, you must earn at least 60,000 baht per month.

I don't know your age, but - why would you want to come to Thailand, live in Ayutthaya, and earn 40,000 baht per month?  Are you figuring on building wealth that way?

Indo-Siam

I gather that you are a dual citizen who has recently returned to Thailand, and that you lack well-developed Thai language skills.

I would suggest that you come and meet with me - depending on your background and experience, I may have some other alternatives for you.

My company is located as shown at: http://www.indo-siam.com/map.gif

You may be in a stronger position than you realize - working as a Thai citizen, you do not soak up a foreign worker slot.

If you are male - have you satisfied Thai military conscription requirement?

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.bangkokstaff.com

www.thaistartup.com

I am thinking 40,000Bt/month.. I have a feeling they will first offer me 25,000/month.  I know that I can probably make 30,000/month teaching.. this is where I came up with 40,000/month.  much more stress, and the demands are much higher.

any thoughts?

thanks.

For your reference, I work as a teacher and earn (salary and benefits) in excess of your 40,000 baht. I teach less than 20 hours per week and work another 20 hours on top. I never get phoned at night - not from work - and I get long holidays. For those guys who always moan about teachers.... สมน้ำหน้า 555+

For your reference, I work as a teacher and earn (salary and benefits) in excess of your 40,000 baht. I teach less than 20 hours per week and work another 20 hours on top. I never get phoned at night - not from work - and I get long holidays. For those guys who always moan about teachers.... สมน้ำหน้า 555+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying that you get 40,000 bhat just from teaching? or it's

combined earning with your second job 20 hour week, that's coming

total 40 hours a week? right?

I met a young late 20s english teacher in Gualiver who said just

earning 20,000 plus 5,000 benefits, i guess you started long time

back when there was lot more demand for english teachers, when

today lot of thais also offered english teaching job for around same

amount.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying that you get 40,000 bhat just from teaching? or it's

combined earning with your second job 20 hour week, that's coming

total 40 hours a week? right?

I met a young late 20s english teacher in Gualiver who said just

earning 20,000 plus 5,000 benefits, i guess you started long time

back when there was lot more demand for english teachers, when

today lot of thais also offered english teaching job for around same

amount.

Hi. I have just the one job, teaching at a school in Bangkok. I teach 18 periods a week but as a "full-time" employee I prepare worksheets, mark projects, etc. for the rest of the time. Some days I work more and other days I work less but overall I probably work about 35 - 40 hours per week. My non-teaching hours are quite relaxed, and although teaching a good lesson is demanding I don't consider it onerous. My salary plus benefits package is more than 40,000 baht. This is what I negotiated - it may not be the "standard deal". Also, I get very generous PAID holidays, work permit, etc. I enjoy teaching and doing the job well, and I think that is evident to my employers.

I don't know much about what other jobs offer. I've seen jobs advertised on Ajarn.com, and typically they seem to around 25-30,000 baht. Incidentally, I have myself advertised jobs on Ajarn.com and received few worthwhile applications.

I've been told to expect a job offer from a different school next year, for about 50,000 baht. I think that is high-end for a government school.

But i think your case is somehow unique, or may be you get paid

more because of working harder, little extra hours, and started out

long time ago, or you must be having realy good teaching method

as many thai students want you as their teacher (not every english

man can teach english good) few reason to name.

But 50,000Bhat/month seems too high to believe for english

teaching in thailand.

teaching in thailand.

Hi, I teach English and another subject. I'd give more details about my job and benefits but I'd rather keep some anonymity on this forum, just in case. I work hard and do my job well, but I don't think my skills or situation are exceptional. Nor do I have much experience of teaching. On the plus side, I'm a reliable employee and the students and their parents like me.

Regarding the prospective offer of 50,000 baht per month, the salary is certain and not speculation on my part. I've met teachers already working at that school on that wage and I was impressed by their professional attitude to the job and their colleagues. Also, and perhaps most significantly, they teach a LOT of classes per week.

Don't forget that many schools, including private schools and government schools with an English programme, are making good money from their students. There is no reason why good quality teachers in a successful program should be earning a low salary. Maybe they need to justify their case and press a little harder.

Edited by brianbrain

Sorry if I've been getting a bit "off-topic" with my replies. To answer your question, I think you should ask for the salary that you require. If that's 60,000 baht then ask for exactly that. If you require 60K but only ask for 25K then really you aren't going to be happy. If on the other hand you mean "How much will they be willing to pay me?" my guess is about 20-25K. For that salary you won't get a work permit. Incidentally, I've met many Thai people with excellent language skills working for less.

Best of luck!

Indo-Siam

It doesn't mean they still can't get a one year multiple entry, non-im visa, which means they'd have to do a border run ever ninety days (or 120 with a month's extension)

The money requirements are only for the one-year extension stamp of the non-im, meaning no border runs needed... You can still get a WP without meeting the immigration income requirements

teaching in thailand.

50,000 isn't impossible at all. It's just that these kinds of positions are rarely advertised on ajarn and other places... In Bangkok, I can think of 2 universities that pay more than that to qualified (master's degree min) and experienced teachers... Even some part time English teachers at Thammasat Rangsit will make more than that.

Of course, for the better International schools like IBS, you're looking at a salary of well over 100,000 baht per month.

my guess is about 20-25K. For that salary you won't get a work permit.

A WP has no minimum salary requirements as far as I know. I know teachers making far less, and they all have the required WP....

You are right, teachers are certainly able to get a work permit, even those on a much lower salary. Rather, I was thinking about the minimum salary requirements for foreigners working in other occupations. I thought it was necessary for them to earn above a certain income to receive the requisite visa/work permit. However, as none of this has applied to me I do not know the details.

my guess is about 20-25K. For that salary you won't get a work permit.

A WP has no minimum salary requirements as far as I know. I know teachers making far less, and they all have the required WP....

You are right, teachers are certainly able to get a work permit, even those on a much lower salary. Rather, I was thinking about the minimum salary requirements for foreigners working in other occupations. I thought it was necessary for them to earn above a certain income to receive the requisite visa/work permit. However, as none of this has applied to me I do not know the details.

It's not just for teachers.... Even some volunteers (non-teachers) must get work permits from what I've heard.

Any salary requirements for foreigners has to do only with getting a one-year visa stamp extension, as I understand it,

teaching in thailand.

I have to reply to this.

I'm also teaching at a private all girls school in BKK with the same pay scale. Is this not the norm???????? I work Mon-Fri, 8am-3:30pm 45000 per month, payed holidays, 10 sick days per year and of course X-mas bonus and final bonus. My degree has nothing to do with teaching (does this mean i'm not qualified?). Most of the English teachers at my school earn 45000k per month with same benifits (M1-M6).

Sorry if I've been getting a bit "off-topic" with my replies. To answer your question, I think you should ask for the salary that you require. If that's 60,000 baht then ask for exactly that. If you require 60K but only ask for 25K then really you aren't going to be happy. If on the other hand you mean "How much will they be willing to pay me?" my guess is about 20-25K. For that salary you won't get a work permit. Incidentally, I've met many Thai people with excellent language skills working for less.

Best of luck!

thanks.. the thais are so slow.. I'm going to negotiate salary next week, asking for a bit more on the high end, there's no way I would give a second thought to anything under 40K.. I have to buy a car, plus get an apt.. it's just not worth it. if I work in bkk then at least I won't need a car. I'll post again when I hear from them again.