Master Degree In Bangkok...?

Angeli

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend and I are currently living in San Francisco but are considering to move to Thailand for a few years. When we went to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago we saw all those advertisements from respectable Universities such as Kellogg, University of California and even Stanford (I believe...) for their degrees in Bangkok. I know that Thailand's reputation for education isn't the best but maybe someone could share their experience with me. Let's say I was to get a Masters degree in Business from Stanford in Thailand, would it count the same as if I would get it from the US or would it say "Stanford, Thailand"? We just don't want to waste the time and money to get our degrees in Bangkok if at the end they are not worth it.

Thanks,

Anita

Hi Angeli,

I'm of the opinion that any education/degree is worthwhile, but if you want to get a degree for professional reasons, then think that you could do better, that is of course unless you plan on staying in Thailand.

Personaly would think that US or European degree would get you more mileage. It does seem like most in the world who have the option go this route. Hong Kong or Singapore might be a better option if you want an asian degree.

I think what you are refering to is schools that have relationships/term abroad in correlation with a Thailand school.

Not trying to belittle a Thailand degree, just my thoughts.

Hi SoCal,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinion.

Yes, we wouldn't plan to stay in Thailand forever, just for 3-4 yrs. then probably move to Europe.

I guess we just are tired of the U.S., the economy here, and saw that Thailand has so many business opportunities ( I am half Thai and have my Thai passport)...but we definitely are only interested in a degree that would get worldwide recognition, otherwise it's not as valuable to us.

Thanks again =)

Hi Angeli,

I'm of the opinion that any education/degree is worthwhile, but if you want to get a degree for professional reasons, then think that you could do better, that is of course unless you plan on staying in Thailand.

Personaly would think that US or European degree would get you more mileage. It does seem like most in the world who have the option go this route. Hong Kong or Singapore might be a better option if you want an asian degree.

I think what you are refering to is schools that have relationships/term abroad in correlation with a Thailand school.

My girlfriend is planning on starting her MBA in the next few months. She's looking into various schools around the city and there are many good options. The programs are often quite reasonably priced and the qualifications of the faculty seem pretty top-notch (many are educated in the West at top schools and/or have years of solid business experience here in Thailand).

I agree that Thailand's educational system leaves much to be desired from top to bottom, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few outstanding gems. I've been seriously considering finishing up my Ph.D. over here. Not that I need it, but it would be nice to have it, and the difference here would be that I could AFFORD it.

Here in Thailand, I could take the few classes left I need for my degree for less than 40,000 baht (if that) at a very good school like Assumption or Chulalongkorn. But back in the states, it would cost me upwards of 164,000 A CREDIT to finish my degree. True, AU is no Harvard or BU, but at this point in my life, a Ph.D. would just be window-dressing on my resume' so it wouldn't make sense to spend a few million baht getting one.

Some of the schools my girlfriend is looking into offer FREE seminars and courses to people who own or are starting businesses in Thailand (part of a government initiative). It might be something that's only offered to Thais, but you might want to look into it all the same. A lot of these seminars are attended by people in business already, so it's a great place to network and make connections with the Thai business community.

Actually, if you're planning on starting a business in Thailand, then an MBA from a Thai school might serve you better than an MBA from an American school. After all, in addition to the normal business-related material, the courses here would address issues (taxes, licensing, laws, etc...) specific to Thailand. You might find that very helpful when opening your business here in the future, and even if you plan on going back to the States, the general business courses and experiences will still be quite useful to you.

Good luck.

Hi SoCal,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinion.

Yes, we wouldn't plan to stay in Thailand forever, just for 3-4 yrs. then probably move to Europe.

I guess we just are tired of the U.S., the economy here, and saw that Thailand has so many business opportunities ( I am half Thai and have my Thai passport)...but we definitely are only interested in a degree that would get worldwide recognition, otherwise it's not as valuable to us.

Thanks again =)

Hi Angeli,

Look at Sasin at Chulalongkorn University. That school is top notch and under the auspices of Kellog. Chulalongkorn is considered the most prestigious university in Thailand.

Not debating with Doc or Pudgimelon, sure the schools in Thailand are pretty good, and the cost is great, but it depends on what you want to do with it. Where you want to be professionaly in 20yrs.

As you are Thai, and assuming you speak/write, then think a degree from the west may be more impressive if you stayed in Thailand.

If you stayed in the west, and in that you are Thai, once again think a degree from the west would get you further.

If you were from the west/farang wanting to spend your life in Thailand, or from the west wanting to get an interesting degree to maybe work for a Thai company in the west, then my view would be different.

Not too long ago I hired a Burmese girl who had an MBA from University of Yangon. Not that it wasn't a worthy accomplishment, but I didn't know what to make of it vis a vis quality and standards. If she had went to a school in US/Europe, then it would have meant more to me. I could send you to a thousand interviews in USA or Europe, and to most Chulalongkorn University would mean nothing.

My advice really depends on what you want to do with your degree.

PS- note that a selling point was that many of the Thai professors were taught in the west. What does that tell you?

I believe that many Thai universities with business schools have affiliations with US business schools and highlight those affiliations in their recruitment materials. I think that the degrees they award are from the Thai universities themselves, not their foreign affiliates. If having a name like Stanford or Kellogg on the diploma is important to you, then you are probably better off attending those schools in the US and not their affiliates in Thailand.

If your priority it to learn about business, then the Thai universities would certainly offer good value for money and may be as good as, if not better in some contexts, than a US business school.

Other posts have mentioned the importance of the relationships and connections one develops at business school and this is probably almost as important as the degree itself. The Thai universities would provide you with lots of good Thai and a few international networking connections. US universities would provide you with a larger network in the US and elsewhere outside of Thailand.

The Financial Times did a feature on Monday about the worlds best MBAs. 4 from the top ten were in Asia. Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing and Shanghai. Each of these had a western partner such as Kellogg. Try and read it on the web edition. It states that Asian MBAs are actually pretty good and as the ranking depends in part on the salary etc of graduates it gives food for thought.

One of my friends did just what you are saying. He picked a school that is based out of the US. Applied to the school then applied for studant loans. After that he applied for an educational Visa.

To make a long stoy short he received an American Degree, liviing in BKK. He was able to save so much money that way.

Just a differnt spin your idea.

I believe that many Thai universities with business schools have affiliations with US business schools and highlight those affiliations in their recruitment materials.  I think that the degrees they award are from the Thai universities themselves, not their foreign affiliates.  If having a name like Stanford or Kellogg on the diploma is important to you, then you are probably better off attending those schools in the US and not their affiliates in Thailand.

If your priority it to learn about business, then the Thai universities would certainly offer good value for money and may be as good as, if not better in some contexts, than a US business school.

Other posts have mentioned the importance of the relationships and connections one develops at business school and this is probably almost as important as the degree itself.  The Thai universities would provide you with lots of good Thai and a few international networking connections.  US universities would provide you with a larger network in the US and elsewhere outside of Thailand.

I really appreciate all the comments on my post...thanks guys =) It's good to hear different views. It's not so much that I don't think that a degree from a respectable Thai University isn't just as qualitative as an American one, yet it is important to me that it will receive worldwide recognition. I am also holding a German passport, a Thai one and an American Greencard so it's really hard for me to say where I will end up in five years and I want to stay flexible. I would only plan to stay in Thailand for a couple of years and then head back either to Europe or the U.S.

I thought that a Thai University that has affiliation with a good American or European University will show exactly that in the diploma, but if it only shows the Thai University itself it doesn't matter how good the quality of education was... I mean in terms of worldwide recognition.

I think you should consult with other sources beyond this forum for mort information. The fact is, Asia is changeing. The fact is, China is becomming a power house. In my opinion, you should develop language skills from areas that have show obvious signs of growth. In other words, don't go to Mexico...

I would encourage you to consult with proffesors in the your are B. schools for advice. I imagine if you have a B.S/B.A. from an American school, and have an MBA outside of America, this can show that you think "outside the box" which in my opinion is a plus.

What good would a MBA from a Thai university do for a farang who wants to live in Thailand ?

Who knows, but it may do a lot. For one you are networking. These ties with Thais may be invaluable if you want to work and stay in Thailand. This I would think the biggest factor, as so often it is who you know.

Also the degree is well recognized/respected by Thais.

It is not a guarantee of anything, but for a westerner who wants to live in Thailand for a while, emerse themselves in the culture, and wants to maybe have a future in Thailand post education, it is certainly as good a path as any.

In my opinion, you should develop language skills from areas that have show obvious signs of growth. In other words, don't go to Mexico...

I would encourage you to consult with proffesors in the your are B. schools for advice. I imagine if you have a B.S/B.A. from an American school, and have an MBA outside of America, this can show that you think "outside the box" which in my opinion is a plus.

What, do you think they speak Mexican in Mexico? Try Spanish, and look at a map to see how many countries speak Spanish. It is almost a prerequisite to living in Los Angeles. :D

On the last part I agree entirely. Broaden your horizons. Expose yourself to new experiences, and this will bode well even in business. Back to Anita however, she is a Thai wanting to live in Europe. This is why I say get a degree in the west. Different credentials, different recommendation. :o

In my opinion, you should develop language skills from areas that have show obvious signs of growth. In other words, don't go to Mexico...

What, do you think they speak Mexican in Mexico? Try Spanish, and look at a map to see how many countries speak Spanish. It is almost a prerequisite to living in Los Angeles. :D

On the last part I agree entirely. Broaden your horizons. Expose yourself to new experiences, and this will bode well even in business. Back to Anita however, she is a Thai wanting to live in Europe. This is why I say get a degree in the west. Different credentials, different recommendation. :o

Sorry, I could not see anything about Spanish/Mexican language in my post. When I say areas of growth, I am speaking of location.... Spanish happens to be spoken in Mexico, and Mexico has been on the decline for som while now.

I do know what languages that are spoken in Mexico, I happen to be able to see the Mexican flag from my office window. All the employees that I work beside daily, are Hispanic.... so by association, I would say I have fair understanding of what I am talking about.

The fact that I have a BAAS (Bachelors of Arts and Applied Sciences) looks a little odd on my CV due to it's rareity, the fact that I have an M.S. and an Au.D. (a doctorate in my field of practice) stands out some too.... But the fact that I lived overseas for sevearal years and speak Mandarin Chinese on a fluent level sets me appart...

This is what a degree from Thailand can offer an individual, a level if uniqueness, from the pile of CV's on some potential employer's desk.

Again she really needs to consult with professors within the B. field, they would know more than us.

Are you blind Dakhar?

1) Cannot see anything about Spanish language in your post. I quoted it for you. "Don't go to Mexico." I may even agree with this, except for the fact that Spanish is very useful.

2) She is Thai, and supposedly speaks Thai, so what does this have to do with your sweet story of differentiating yourself with Mandarin? I am telling her to differentiate herself by going to a western school.

3) Professors in the business field. :D Give me a break. Consult business people in her chosen profession. That makes a lot more sense.

Since we're pulling out CVs

VP of a HKG muti-conglomerate (hotels/beverages/insurance/property/media/airlines/trains/shipping/etc.)

Bachelor of Science- Sociology

MBA- International Business

Preparing to enter law school 2005 p/t night, and after concluding want to earn an LLM (EU law) in France. (I'm 34 now/finish 40)

Speak French & Spanish

*know some Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese (mandarin)

*little Thai, Indonesian, cantonese

Lived- Europe & Africa.

*Been to just about every country in Asia on business/pleasure (BKK +16).

Having hired and fired more than I even care to think of, I think I know a thing or two about what business' look for in an applicant. Even done my fair share of education. :o

It seems like many act that I am saying something bad about Thai universities, not so at all, just giving my advice to Anita based on her circumstances. Peronaly stand by my views, and she can do whatever she wants with them.

Thai/German :o

I will definitely also consult with Universities here that have affiliates in Thailand and see what they say, maybe even the consulates/embassies... =)

Is anyone out there who actually got a degree in Thailand and then went back to either Europe or US and could tell me his/her experience?

Are you blind Dakhar?

1) Cannot see anything about Spanish language in your post. I quoted it for you. "Don't go to Mexico." I may even agree with this, except for the fact that Spanish is very useful.

2) She is Thai, and supposedly speaks Thai, so what does this have to do with your sweet story of differentiating yourself with Mandarin? I am telling her to differentiate herself by going to a western school.

3) Professors in the business field.  :D  Give me a break. Consult business people in her chosen profession. That makes a lot more sense.

VP of a HKG muti-conglomerate (hotels/beverages/insurance/property/media/airlines/trains/shipping/etc.)

Preparing to enter law school 2005 p/t night, and after concluding want to earn an LLM (EU law) in France. (I'm 34 now/finish 40)

Speak French & Spanish

Lived- Europe & Africa.

Having hired and fired more than I even care to think of, I think I know a thing or two about what business' look for in an applicant. Even done my fair share of education.  :o

It seems like many act that I am saying something bad about Thai universities, not so at all, just giving my advice to Anita based on her circumstances. Peronaly stand by my views, and she can do whatever she wants with them.

Thanks So Cal for your tips and suggestions

What good would a MBA from a Thai university do for a farang who wants to live in Thailand ?

Who knows, but it may do a lot. For one you are networking. These ties with Thais may be invaluable if you want to work and stay in Thailand. This I would think the biggest factor, as so often it is who you know.

Also the degree is well recognized/respected by Thais.

It is not a guarantee of anything, but for a westerner who wants to live in Thailand for a while, emerse themselves in the culture, and wants to maybe have a future in Thailand post education, it is certainly as good a path as any.

Thanks for the reply. Unlike some of the other responders I don't want a vigorously challenging program or one associated with say Kellogg. I want more of a Tier 2 or 3 school like Bangkok University. I'll already have a MA in Human Relations from the University of Oklahoma but want a little business padding and also the networking that was mentioned. Thanks again.

Storekeeper, think that's a good idea. University of Bangkok-At least westerners will know where you went. :o I almost went to U of Oklahoma for law school in 1995 (?), two months prior I decided to move to FL to bartend, and some how ended up in Alabama where I got my MBA. Sometimes life just guides you.

Getting ready to take the LSAT, and plan on going p/t night to law school '05.

You know what? Wouldn't have done it any differently. I feel like when I do graduate I will be on a better path than I would have been otherwise.

If your career is important to you, then education coupled with busting your arse are always the best way.

At the end of the day, choose the path that is best for you.

Good Luck to both of you.

I have no desire to obtain an MBA since I'm more of a farmer hobbyist than a business type...but I have developed opinions (I'm hoping these are not prejudices) about the structure of Thai society and a westerner's place in it. To me the idea that a westerner can 'network' into Thai management and then rise to some considerable degree by making connections at a university seems unlikely at best. My experiences with university educated Thais (very limited..mostly academics) would indicate that a westerner will be worked to death, given little/no credit for their accomplishments, get trotted out regularly as window dressing to show easily impressed people that 'we've got a farang working UNDER us'. I guess this sounds pretty negative...but it is what I have experienced. In general my experience in Thailand is that Thai society is very closed and that westerners that think that they fit in are often/usually/always? deluding themselves. I'm hoping someone can convince me of another viewpoint.

Are you blind Dakhar?

3) Professors in the business field.  :D  Give me a break. Consult business people in her chosen profession. That makes a lot more sense.

Speak French & Spanish

Lived- Europe & Africa.

Having hired and fired more than I even care to think of, I think I know a thing or two about what business' look for in an applicant. Even done my fair share of education.  :o

and my daddy can beat your daddy up!

Dude you are a weird bird. I can put that I am planning on flying for NASA on my CV too.

But I'd rather stick to the facts. They look better than unaccomplished goals on a CV

Im am now 32, and been earning 6 figures since age 30.... and that is USD no Baht.

I am also a CEO, not too hard to do when you own your own company.

Please....

This discussion was intended to help our new friend make a life long decission not to give people a chance to have a pissing match.

And no I am not blind, you assume that I do not know what is spoken in Mexico. I live right on the border, and I hear Spanish spoken at my office every day!

I never said she needed to learn "Mexican." Stick to the facts, they should teach you that at law school... when and if you get in.

I have no desire to obtain an MBA since I'm more of a farmer hobbyist than a business type...but I have developed opinions (I'm hoping these are not prejudices) about the structure of Thai society and a westerner's place in it.  To me the idea that a westerner can 'network' into Thai management and then rise to some considerable degree by making connections at a university seems unlikely at best.  My experiences with university educated Thais (very limited..mostly academics) would indicate that a westerner will be worked to death, given little/no credit for their accomplishments, get trotted out regularly as window dressing to show easily impressed people that 'we've got a farang working UNDER us'.  I guess this sounds pretty negative...but it is what I have experienced.  In general my experience in Thailand is that Thai society is very closed and that westerners that think that they fit in are often/usually/always? deluding themselves.  I'm hoping someone can convince me of another viewpoint.

Even if it were just to make a few Thai friends I could live with that. I think it's possible to come up with my own business idea...which I might already have...and with a little luck I might possible gt one of those coveted sandcrab civil service jobs with the US government. Failing that...I'll either be a beach bum or what some of the negatives call an "English teacher".

I think you saw Stamford not Stanford.

People can see where the diploma comes from. Studying in Thailand does not give quite the prestige as studying in America. If it gives you the skills that you need though, go for it though.

Diplomas are more about skills than credentials. Employers want proof you can do the job. If at the job interview and in presenting your resume you demonstrate significant skills, you have a better chance of getting the job.

Harvard is impressive if the candidate shows that those credentials provided skills and ability. If it was an internet degree with little gained experience, it is only a piece of paper.

Not debating with Doc or Pudgimelon, sure the schools in Thailand are pretty good, and the cost is great, but it depends on what you want to do with it. Where you want to be professionaly in 20yrs.

As you are Thai, and assuming you speak/write, then think a degree from the west may be more impressive if you stayed in Thailand.

If you stayed in the west, and in that you are Thai, once again think a degree from the west would get you further.

If you were from the west/farang wanting to spend your life in Thailand, or from the west wanting to get an interesting degree to maybe work for a Thai company in the west, then my view would be different.

Not too long ago I hired a Burmese girl who had an MBA from University of Yangon. Not that it wasn't a worthy accomplishment, but I didn't know what to make of it vis a vis quality and standards. If she had went to a school in US/Europe, then it would have meant more to me. I could send you to a thousand interviews in USA or Europe, and to most Chulalongkorn University would mean nothing.

My advice really depends on what you want to do with your degree.

PS- note that a selling point was that many of the Thai professors were taught in the west. What does that tell you?

What about an MBA from a no-name(but accredited) University in the US vs an MBA from Sasin(the 'Harvard' MBA program of Thailand). Is any (accredited) US MBA degree better than a Sasin MBA for a Thai living and working in Thailand?

:o

Hey, I'm not saying it's right, but by and large people will respect a degree more if it is from the west.

I also stated that getting a degree not from the west can have advantages for the right individual.

It depends on the person who is interviewing you. If they went to BF U, then they will probably be glad to see you're an alum. :o

Jeesh, you would think I was criticising the King.

Dakhar, perhaps you are not blind, but then english isn't your native language.  :o

For me, well over 6, no need to worry about me and my future plans.  :D

So what if English is or isn't my native language, what does that have to do with anything.

So you have 6 native tongues... your post says you know some mandarin, cantonese, etc... I would think to qualify as a "native" speaker of those languages, you would be fluent or at least remotely fluent...

Further, native means "indigenous to" or beloning to a particular place by birth... (Websters) So you mean to tell us that you were born in 6 locations....

Either way, you speak with twists and turns... First if you contend to speak 6 languages with a fluency of a native from those countries... you already said in a previous post you know "some." "Some" ain't native like....

Or if you meant that you were born in 6 different areas... well that ain't too plausible either...

Also, just because I live along the Mexican border does not make me Hispanic. I am not. I am an American of Eropean descent. I moved to the border area due to economic reasons.

Stick with the facts, it will help you in law school.... maybe.

What about an MBA from a no-name(but accredited) University in the US vs an MBA from Sasin(the 'Harvard' MBA program of Thailand). Is any (accredited) US MBA degree better than a Sasin MBA for a Thai living and working in Thailand?

:o

Phormio,

If Sasin is as you have described then anyone admitted probably has a very very well connected family and they are marked for a notable career simply because of their family...where they go to school is probably not crucial. If they could gain admittance to Sasin then they probably wouldn't need to attend a community college in the US either and could probably gain admittance to some boutique U.

Dugdig

Dakhar,

I can tell English is not your native language because you cannot follow nuance, and you know what Dakhar, that's okay. I'm tired of arguing senselessly, when in most cases it has more to do with misunderstanding than any actual disagreement.

Case in point- You said you made six figures, I said that for me well over 6, but you take to mean languages. :o

Are you in Otay, or further east?

Really Dakhar, have a nice day.