New To Farming In Thailand

Hello Everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sokhena. I'm currently living in Portland, Oregon USA. I was born in Batambang, Cambodia and immigrated to the US during our civil war. I spent a brief time in Thailand while seeking refuge from the war...so I have much appreciation for that opportunity.

I have approximately 50 hecters of land not too far south of Aranyaprathet(spelling). My oldest brother still lives in Batambang and is currently growing Eucalyptus on 13 hectres just a few kilometers from my land.

I came across this site while looking for tractors in Cambo and Thailand for our land. I've heard so much praises in regards to Ford and John Deere Tractors. Although I am not in the market for any at this moment....I was just gathering information until the time comes.

I believe this forum will help me alot in my journey into farming/plantation in Cambodia due to similarities and closeness of the two countries.

Thank you kindly,

Sok

Hello Everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sokhena. I'm currently living in Portland, Oregon USA. I was born in Batambang, Cambodia and immigrated to the US during our civil war. I spent a brief time in Thailand while seeking refuge from the war...so I have much appreciation for that opportunity.

I have approximately 50 hecters of land not too far south of Aranyaprathet(spelling). My oldest brother still lives in Batambang and is currently growing Eucalyptus on 13 hectres just a few kilometers from my land.

I came across this site while looking for tractors in Cambo and Thailand for our land. I've heard so much praises in regards to Ford and John Deere Tractors. Although I am not in the market for any at this moment....I was just gathering information until the time comes.

I believe this forum will help me alot in my journey into farming/plantation in Cambodia due to similarities and closeness of the two countries.

Thank you kindly,

Sok

Hello Sok..

I too have found TV to be both informative and interesting. I couldn't help noticing that you live in Portland Oregon now. I lived in Oregon City for a number of years and owned a business in Portland too. My brother is retired now but he was the chief engineer for the construction of the Justice Center and the Convention Center.

You mentioned an interest in tractors and one of my brother-in-laws retired as a salesman for John Deere Tractor out of Hillsboro Oregon after working there for 40-years. His name is Hap and he was an Icon in that area. I have owned Farmal, International, Ford and John Deere tractors and they all have their good points, but like you I prefer Ford and John Deere. I think I favor John Deere above all..

The wife and I are in the U.S. right now but are planning on returning to Thailand real soon. I'm also planning on an extented visit to Cambodia and Laos.

Have you decided what you are going to grow on your land?

Good luck with everything.

Jim

Jim,

Small world ey? In regards to my land, its in the begining stage of ploughing. Initially my brother was able to source/hire 3 tractors for the work...but couldn't get it cept for 2. Good news came over the weekend of acquiring 3 more...therefore, we should get the ploughing done by the end of this month.

The land has never been farmed. We had finalize the deed/paper and commence straight to clearing. Since my brother (who is currently living there) already has 13 hectres of eucalyptus...we decided that what we initially start with my land.

Due to my work, "Application Engineer for a company that supplies Freightliner (Daimler Trucks North America), I won't make to visit Cambodia till the Xmas holiday, each and every year....unless i quit. hahahahahaha! I'm only 35 so, that might not be an option yet...actually, i'm working in hopes of saving enough to buy a few tractors next year. I don't know much of the availability of Ford or John Deere in Cambodia...but, according to my brother....Ford is the King of tractors there. I myself like John Deere due to my experience as sales engineer for an OEM Hvy Equipment Mfgr out of Hillsboro.

If things goes well with the plantation...my plan is to acquire more land for other ventures. The sole purpose of course is to make a comfortable living...and ultimately provide some work for local villages next to or near Batambang...where I was born.

Regards,

Sok

Jim,

Small world ey? In regards to my land, its in the begining stage of ploughing. Initially my brother was able to source/hire 3 tractors for the work...but couldn't get it cept for 2. Good news came over the weekend of acquiring 3 more...therefore, we should get the ploughing done by the end of this month.

The land has never been farmed. We had finalize the deed/paper and commence straight to clearing. Since my brother (who is currently living there) already has 13 hectres of eucalyptus...we decided that what we initially start with my land.

Due to my work, "Application Engineer for a company that supplies Freightliner (Daimler Trucks North America), I won't make to visit Cambodia till the Xmas holiday, each and every year....unless i quit. hahahahahaha! I'm only 35 so, that might not be an option yet...actually, i'm working in hopes of saving enough to buy a few tractors next year. I don't know much of the availability of Ford or John Deere in Cambodia...but, according to my brother....Ford is the King of tractors there. I myself like John Deere due to my experience as sales engineer for an OEM Hvy Equipment Mfgr out of Hillsboro.

If things goes well with the plantation...my plan is to acquire more land for other ventures. The sole purpose of course is to make a comfortable living...and ultimately provide some work for local villages next to or near Batambang...where I was born.

Regards,

Sok

Hi Sok..

You sound as though you have a good long range plan. I wish you good fortune and hope all goes as you plan.

Regards

Jim