Required Letter Of Residence For License.

jackr

Hi,

Been reading posts on acquiring a Thai license and for reporting of address to immigration when going for extension of stays, etc. Problem is, my landlord doesn't know me and certainly doesn't know I'm a farang. Went through my wife for doing all the paperwork and got the house cheaper as a result. Now, with the address, doesn't the landlord have to send my details to immigration in order for me to proceed? And for the license, I need a letter from the landlord with my details on against the house papers and then to get it certified by my embassy/consulate? Is this right? If so, looks like I'll have to let him know the score and possibly get the rent raised. Blast.

Any suggestions, other than not applying for the license and extension of stay?

Guess you mean driving licence?

Suggest, just go to your embassy and ask for the residence confirmation.

Mine just give me a draft form to be filled in, they retype my information and confirm it by embassy seal. No problem here.

For your 90-days-report just fill in the form for immigration office. I don't think they will ever double check with your land lord.

Never had to supply anything "Proving" my residence. As stated above a simple stamp from your Embassy or Consulate should suffice.

The forms ask you to fill in your address, they do not require you prove it, although they might come to visit you to check up!

There is a fair to good chance your landlord is going to find out the hard way if police check your residence for extension of stay as he was required to report you to police and is subject to a 2,000 baht fine. Although not often enforced it is the law and the law will probably be talking with him. You might want to head off any surprise for him (and at the same time allow him to tell police you indeed do live with your wife).

I assume you live with your wife, and the lease is in her name.

Nothing wrong with that approach.

Let your wife do the tongue lashing if the landlord objects.

If you want the letter from Immigration you will need to get the landlord to register your address. Legally he should have done that already.

He should be checking who lives in his house.

You will also need to report to immigration every 90 days, using that address.

If you go the embassy path, it is my experience that you just tell them where you live and they write the letter, no checks at all.