The Best Way To Increase The Chances Of A Thai National Obtaining A Tourist Visa To U.s.

Hi all,

Tried to do a search, but nothing pulled up. I'd like to have my boyfriend come back with me to the U.S. next summer or the year after. Any suggestions on how to increase our chances of getting approval? It is nearly $130.00 just to apply!!! 3 months would be lovely, but one would be better then not at all.

He may have a business in his name by the time we are ready to apply. But other then that and a small amount of money in the bank. That's about it in terms of documentation stating he doesn't want to immigrate. He's never left the Kingdom and we won't be getting his passport until this fall at this stage of the game.

Any advice would be great

You're going to need to have as much evidence as possible that he's going to return to Thailand. So anything he can document will help ensure his approval:

- Money in the bank

- Property in Thailand

- Job where he can't be easily replaced

- Other family members in Thailand that he has to return to (if he has a kid, that would be a big help)

Establish your ties to Thailand, i.e. multiple visa extensions, work permit, lease in both names, letter from employer saying you have long term job, etc.

Then establish your BF’s long term relationship to you, i.e. long term joint bank accounts (regardless of balance), house lease in both names, etc. Marriage is the best way, but know several people that have got visa for girl friends without marrying them.

TH

I don't live in Thailand full time. I'm there now about 1/2 of the year. Anyone looking at my passport can see that I don't stay stateside for very long. Maybe we need to think about getting married sooner then later to make the process go more smoothly. Like I said, he may have a business in his name by the time we try and get him over for a visit, but not sure about that.

About four years ago, some friends and I tried to get a friend over for a visit and she was denied. I just hate the idea of giving them $130.00 to get turned down.

Anymore suggestions. I thought my status as a girlfriend isn't going to matter, but maybe that will help.

Take a look at www.visajourney.com if you decide to go the marriage route. Its what I've been using to help me through the K1 process. Their visa guides, example forms, and the forums have been fantastic at helping me navigate through the process.

You're going to need to have as much evidence as possible that he's going to return to Thailand. So anything he can document will help ensure his approval:

- Money in the bank

- Property in Thailand

- Job where he can't be easily replaced

- Other family members in Thailand that he has to return to (if he has a kid, that would be a big help)

My neighbor here in Hat Yai met and exceeded all requirements for an U.S. tourist visa, and was turned down with no reasons given. I do know that does not help, but may be it is just the impression he'd left with the immigration officer in Bangkok, which led to this decision. May be he was refused a visa because he is a Muslim. Who knows? Does anybody know what might be the optimal appearance at the embassy? Wearing a tie with stars and stripes on it?

Hi Seville,

I had no problem getting my fiance a 10 year tourist visa to the States. The key was MY status, I beleive. I've been living and working here with a valid work permit for a long time (+10 years,) so I beleive they view my own ties to Thailand as the key factor, since she has no significant employment nor assets here.

So I would say that you should prepare his application and supporting docs in as much detail as possible and also do the same for yourself, and go together, prepared with everything.

You can review my story about the whole process here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Us-Tourist-V...tourist+success .

Now here's an intersting bit of info, and it is purly a story and I have no way to confirm any of it, but, for what it's worth:

My brother works for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He said that most of the investigation into our visa application probably centered on me and my family, since my name and my mother's were on the application as the preaprer and supporter (hence our 4 hour wait at the embassy before our interview.) When we finally went to the U.S., we breezed through immigration (we both went through the U.S. citizens line together) without a blink from the imigration official. My brother postulates that our immigration status and everything else about us was well known and predetermined before we even stepped onto our flight at Suvarnabumi, and that her visa status and ability to enter the U.S. is firmly linked to me travelling with her. (Big brother theorists can have fun with this idea.)

So good luck with your applcation... preparation and truthfulness will get you where you want to go.

Cheers,

tweezer

Another thing... while I'm thinking about it:

If your boyfriend speaks decent English, he should choose an English language interview, so he will be interviewed by an American embassy staffer (that's what my girlfriend did.)

I've heard from close friends (and others) stories of Thai language interviewers (most aren't American) being very harsh and even rude, while American interviewers tend to be nicer, more reasonable and more polite.

Again, this is not fact and based on hearsay, so take it for what it's worth. I can say that the American guy who interviewed us was firm, clear and abolutely polite and fair.

--T.

I have no advise on how to get a tourist VISA. I can tell you how I paid $130 for for my girlfriend attempt to get a VISA. Her interview for the VISA lasted 08 seconds (as in bull riding). The problem is that I tried to sponsor her. the embassy first questiopn was...do you ever intent to marry this man. Answer, Maybe. Response...exit door right...now. The paperwork folder that I created included security clearances, letters from empolyer, letter from God, it all was not relivant. exit door right.

So I took the long route....K1 Visa. Aplied in USA in Sept, 2007. Approved in Feb, 2008. 4 months in Bangkok before fianlly getting VISA. It is a long process.

It is even a longer process if you are married. You need a K3 VISA rather than a K1.

To get a tourist VISA for my girlfriend would have been nearly impossible...she is less than 30 and attractive. Getting one for a man maybe be easier, harder, just the same...have no idea.

I am quite sure if you feel like sponsoring him and have any romantic relationship...the answer will be exit door right. Maybe door left for men. good luck

We recently sponsored a family friend - a Thai national - from BKK for a visit to the US.

She is over 40, divorced, has stable employment, children in Thailand (living with the father) and is enrolled in a MBA program. She has a sister in USA.

We - spouse & myself - both filed notarized statements (including OUR W-2, most recent tax return, bank statement, employment letters) that we - as US citizens - would be fully responsible for any debt, medical care, etc. that might be incurred on her visit. We also detailed how we met her, how long we've known her, etc., and stated exactly where she'd stay (our home) and for how long.

She told us the application (American interviewer) breezed through the interview within minutes. She received a 10-year multiple entry visa (good for a maximum of 6 months per visit).

Point being, we submitted individual friendly, fully-disclosed narratives that justified why she should be allowed to visit us (so we could repay her kindness to host us on our previous visits to Thailand), and why she would not overstay (her permanent ties to work, family and school). We documented our personal status and responsibility. Essentially, we provided as much, if not more, info as would be required of her, and our personal status reflected on her. That's the point of sponsership, right?

Write your support letter in a friendly, honest manner and provide enough evidence that a reasonable person can make a decision that overshadows any doubt about the sincerity of the parties involved.

That being said, I think the scenario of middle-class Thais overstaying in the US is considered "relatively" low-risk by the State Department.

Tip: Since you live overseas, have your sponsorship letter notarized at the nearest US Embasssy. Every little bit helps.

Good luck.

Edited by OldenAtwoody

For what its worth, having been through the process to get a visa for the US as a male (albeit in 1996!!) the key thing they want to know is if you have a compelling reason to return to Thailand (in addition to what others have said). It needs to be work related committments (ie running own sucessful business), education etc. All of this should be proven with extensive documents showing that once they let you in, you will return home on your own accord!

I have no advise on how to get a tourist VISA. I can tell you how I paid $130 for for my girlfriend attempt to get a VISA. Her interview for the VISA lasted 08 seconds (as in bull riding). The problem is that I tried to sponsor her. the embassy first questiopn was...do you ever intent to marry this man. Answer, Maybe. Response...exit door right...now. The paperwork folder that I created included security clearances, letters from empolyer, letter from God, it all was not relivant. exit door right.

So I took the long route....K1 Visa. Aplied in USA in Sept, 2007. Approved in Feb, 2008. 4 months in Bangkok before fianlly getting VISA. It is a long process.

I am quite sure if you feel like sponsoring him and have any romantic relationship...the answer will be exit door right. Maybe door left for men. good luck

ebean001

Looks like it was a good denial of a tourist visa, long term or now, since you turned right around and applied for a fiancee' visa for your GF.

Part of the reason for the consular interview is to weed out cases where the interviewing officer thinks the applicant may enter the U.S. then get married and apply for an Adjustment of Status to PRA, ie, Green Card holder.

Mac

Maybe its all down to money! From what I read here the UK visa is much easier to get (that is however relative to the US one!! I am not suggesting it is easy!) interestingly the cost charged for UK visas is MUCH higer - I think about £300 these days for a 3 month visit visa - my boyfriend got

• Visit Visa (then about £150 I think)
  • Civil Partnership Visa (just before the fees doubled it cost about £400)
  • and in about 18 months he will have to apply for indefinite leave to remain which will cost I believe around £1000 by then - and to even apply for that he must have ESOL level 3 and pass a citizenship test (in which I and my UK friends struggle to score more than 50%)

So it isnt "easy" but I think the rules are applied a little more compassionately - we are gay with a big age gap and my partner had nothing to establish ties to Thailand when we went for the visitor visa and it took two attempts (which I am told is pretty normal - maybe the first attempt is just to boost their funds- and get you used to playing the game!)

The way fees are rising - I reckon the realistic cost of getting a partner here to live permenantly will soon top £3000 (and thats if you dont employ a lawyer) - thats a nice little earner for the UK government and devastatingly high for people on ordinary incomes.

The US has always been somewhat paranoid about it's borders and hugely beuracratic in the procesing of visas - even UK citizens need visas to visit now since the 9/11. Even before visa's were needed for visits I always felt intimidated by the immigration staff at airports (ours are not much better but at least they dont carry guns!). The only people who can change this are the US population and, sadly because I like America, I suspect there is still too large a body of right wing conservatives to expect change any time soon.

I DO WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK WITH THIS - it's hard work but I have not for one second regretted the time and effort I put into it. Incidentlally the visitor application I made the second time (having ditched the useless agent that I used there the first time!) had as much detail in it as I could put together - about 35 pages bound into a folder, indexed and numbered - it included bank statements, pay slips, photos of us together, a dozen supporting letters from friends in both countries, and a very long statement about us which said that we intended one day to apply for civil partnership (equivilent of marriage here) and that he knew that overstaying his visit would jeaopardise a further application - that was the ONLY real motivation he could give to return. One other thing we stated clearly was that he didnt drink, never frequented bars and had never at any time been involved in the sex industry - I know it isnt proof but I think it helped

In addition although the visa period is 6 months we were advised to apply for less (6 weeks) and we made sure that he went back exactly on the date he said he would - because it allowed multiple entry he came back to the UK but I still wrote to the embassy and asked if it would be OK.....I think (as far as the UK goes) all these things helped for the Civil Partneship visa because by then he had established a record of compliance.

Okay, because I are a nice guy, here is the inside scoop on visas to the US.

You are in essence presenting a case to an arbitrator or more accurately a judge. The state department employee who reviews the case is in fact a judge of sorts and has for all extent and purposes the final word.

So you need to know as much about that person as possible.

First, there is almost no internal control on immigration in the US, all enforcement takes place at the border. Once an alien enters the country, they are virtually unhampered in living and working in the US. Millions of people every year attempt to enter the country illegally and remain, some indefinitely. There is also the added wierdness in the US whereas a child born on US soil becomes a US citizen. So now they have the untenable position of citizen children with illegal immigrant parents. In all, its a real mess and the state department has been given a specific overriding imperative to make absolutely certain beyond any reasonable doubt that the applicant will return to their home country.

The visa "judges" are associated with the visas they grant. They are periodically reviewed and roasted regarding tourists who fail to exit the country. Their very job depends on their ability to keep people from illegally immigrating to the US.

So you need to understand that they are entirely and completely fixated on this fact and each applicant is under pressure to prove beyond any doubt that they will return to their home country.

Lots of "supporting" data can be used. Bank accounts, homes, cars all sorts of things. BUT, put yourself in the position of an interviewer. Would 100,000 baht in a Thai bank mean they would return? Thats about three weeks wages for a US nurse. Could money in a bank account be taken out and carried? Would 1 million do it? If you were from Mexico, you could save 1 Million baht while working in MacDonalds and living with your uncle in slightly less than two years and still have your original 1 Million baht (or equivalent) in the bank. If you look at it, none of these things are "compelling" reasons to return to the home country. Homes can be rented out, bank accounts can be wired, no physical possession actually proves that someone will return.

The biggest mistake is to show how connected to people in the US the applicant is. That means they have support structure and a greater probability of being able to stay.

I have gotten about 15 tourist visas for the US. Some of them for people with no funds, no education, no possessions, nothing. All because I was able to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the applicant would return to Thailand after the specific trip without fail.

To do the same, put yourself in the interviewers position and create a case that is rock solid.

Despite what is generally thought, they truly do want to give visas if they can be certain.

Okay, because I are a nice guy, here is the inside scoop on visas to the US.

You are in essence presenting a case to an arbitrator or more accurately a judge. The state department employee who reviews the case is in fact a judge of sorts and has for all extent and purposes the final word.

So you need to know as much about that person as possible.

First, there is almost no internal control on immigration in the US, all enforcement takes place at the border. Once an alien enters the country, they are virtually unhampered in living and working in the US. Millions of people every year attempt to enter the country illegally and remain, some indefinitely. There is also the added wierdness in the US whereas a child born on US soil becomes a US citizen. So now they have the untenable position of citizen children with illegal immigrant parents. In all, its a real mess and the state department has been given a specific overriding imperative to make absolutely certain beyond any reasonable doubt that the applicant will return to their home country.

The visa "judges" are associated with the visas they grant. They are periodically reviewed and roasted regarding tourists who fail to exit the country. Their very job depends on their ability to keep people from illegally immigrating to the US.

So you need to understand that they are entirely and completely fixated on this fact and each applicant is under pressure to prove beyond any doubt that they will return to their home country.

Lots of "supporting" data can be used. Bank accounts, homes, cars all sorts of things. BUT, put yourself in the position of an interviewer. Would 100,000 baht in a Thai bank mean they would return? Thats about three weeks wages for a US nurse. Could money in a bank account be taken out and carried? Would 1 million do it? If you were from Mexico, you could save 1 Million baht while working in MacDonalds and living with your uncle in slightly less than two years and still have your original 1 Million baht (or equivalent) in the bank. If you look at it, none of these things are "compelling" reasons to return to the home country. Homes can be rented out, bank accounts can be wired, no physical possession actually proves that someone will return.

The biggest mistake is to show how connected to people in the US the applicant is. That means they have support structure and a greater probability of being able to stay.

I have gotten about 15 tourist visas for the US. Some of them for people with no funds, no education, no possessions, nothing. All because I was able to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the applicant would return to Thailand after the specific trip without fail.

To do the same, put yourself in the interviewers position and create a case that is rock solid.

Despite what is generally thought, they truly do want to give visas if they can be certain.

Excellent post, xbusman - thank you!!!

Your comments have helped me to understand something that's been bothering me for quite some time. My Thai sister in law (who is a US permanent resident married to a US citizen) tried to get a tourist visa for her sister to visit the US. My sister in law was expecting a baby in a couple of months, and the idea was that her sister would visit for a few weeks to help her after the baby was born. The sister is "squeaky clean" - married with a child, a home, a job and a bank account. The interviewer didn't even want to see any of the required documentation (bank book, marriage doc, tabien baan, etc). She was simply told that she doesn't meet the criteria. When my US citizen brother in law and his Thai wife asked "specifically what criteria is that?", they were just given the same line - "she doesn't meet the criteria". I always thought there maybe there was some sort of secret quota system, or maybe the interviewer was just in a bad mood, but your comments have given me a little more insight into the motivation for denying the visa.

It seems to me that many of the potential problems that the foreign consuls try to head off could be (and probably should be) dealt with via stricter internal controls for aliens after they enter the country, instead of flatly denying tourist visas. In my opinion, it seems reasonable to deny aliens on a non-immigrant visa (tourist visa, for example) access to public funds and other public assistance (welfare, food stamps, etc), as well as the ability to apply for an adjustment of status to permanent resident (and thus employment authorization). Same goes for granting citizenship to a child born in the US to a mother on a non-immigrant visa. If an alien in the US on a tourist visa decides they want to marry and subsequently apply for an adjustment of status, why not require them to return to their home country first, and obtain a proper immigrant visa before they can apply for permanent residency?

It's widely recognized that there's a huge problem with illegal immigrants in the US, largely caused by a lack of enforcement and/or controls on these people once they're on US soil. The situation doesn't look to improve in the short term, but in my mind, limiting tourist visa availability to citizens of select countries while not addressing the core problem of poor controls for illegal residents and overstays doesn't seem to be the right answer.

You all rock!!! Still a bit daunting as my boyfriend isn't a student, isn't middle class and won't have a long work history. Money in the bank, well as one of you mentioned; a lot of money to him is nothing compared to what we make and have in the U.S. the best bit was asking for an interview with an American.

That might be of some help for us. The biggest frustration is that he doesn't want to live in the States at all. I barely want to be here for the 5 months that I'm here. I think two months and he will be really ready to head back to Thailand.

I think getting an interview with an American might be the trick for us. I'm pretty sure I can assure the interviewer that we have no intention of extending his stay. All they have to do is look at my passport to see that I don't stick around for very long.

Thank again

Still a bit daunting as my boyfriend isn't a student

Well, at least they won't be worried about him giving birth in the US!

So... thoughts on whether it'd be a good idea to provide (at the interview for the tourist visa) a doctor's note stating that "female applicant for visa was NOT pregnant as of DATE?"

It is even a longer process if you are married. You need a K3 VISA rather than a K1.

To get a tourist VISA for my girlfriend would have been nearly impossible...she is less than 30 and attractive. Getting one for a man maybe be easier, harder, just the same...have no idea.

Yep same thing happenned to me. Once they see a romantic raltionship they figure there's a high risk of staying. Tried 2 times for the tourist visas. letters from senators, monks didn't matter. We ended up with the k-1 visa and breezed through that. Good luck

Just a few quick points

First of all the best thing you could do is eliminate all your ties to the US. If you are viewed as an expatriate resident of Thailand you will be treated very differently than a US citizen residing in US. This is because you will clearly return to Thailand. This means having NO residence address in the US. Don't lie about this or anything else because they will catch you and ban you. How do you stay in Thailand 7 months a year? Do you have a job in Thailand? My best friend works in BKK and my Phnom Penh immigration attorney friend advised him to do this. He applied for a tourist visa for his Thai GF and she got it in TWO WEEKS! It was a single entry. Next time they applied she was given 10 years.

As for the business in his name, how can he start a new business and then leave the country for 3 months? That looks very bad. Looks like he is just making the business to pad the visa app. In order to counter this problem it would be best to apply for a very short stay with a very definate date of leaving and of returning. You should create a sense of urgency for his return such as he must leave by such and such date and be back in 3 weeks for the opening of his business or some such thing. You are applying at this time because once the business is opened it will be a long time before he can visit again because he will be too busy with the business. Keep it to 3-4 weeks, even shorter if you can. You see every time he goes to the US AND then returns to Thailand he creates a history. The next time you apply for a visa it will be much easier