Con Artists On Door Step Of British Embassy.

Just a quick caution to anyone who is visiting the British Embassy;

After visiting the British Embassy yesterday, on exiting to the street front my family and I were approached by a Thai boy asking if we wanted assistance in anything. I didn't quite get the full story, as the Embassy security guard had spotted this and came over and told the guy to go away. As such he walked back across the road where his other gang members were waiting. The security guard said that he had been trying to get foreigners to go with them and then yeah would steel anything they could get. Maybe he and the gang were pick pockets. Surprisingly, the gang of four just waited across the street for the next people to come out of the Embassy. More surprisingly was that there was a police car with officer inside sitting on the other side of the road where this gang were also waiting and didn't do anything about what was happening, and that the gang didn't even seem to care or be undeterred from the fact that the police were there and the embassy security guard were onto their game. The gang consisted of all Thais, one guy aged about 35 - 40, two women around 40, and the Thai boy aged around late teens / early 20's.

Tell me about it. It's probably the same bunch that haunt the visa application office on Ratchadamri.

An acquaintance paid 120.000 Baht (Yes that's one hundred and twenty thousand Baht!!!!!!!!!) to sort a visitor's visa (Yes that's only a visitor's visa!!!!!!!) for his girlfriend. This was after he was approached there.

Still a fool and his money are soon parted. He actually thought he got a good deal!!!!!!!! :o

Nobody did anything, nor will do anything (including embassy staff and especially police) because firstly you're a whitey therefore easy pickins and secondly, practically nobody gives a fig about practically anybody here. (Could be the curs were the police's relatives.) It's basically every man (and woman) for himself. Law of the jungle. Dog eat dog. Do what you like just don't get caught.

Just keep your wits about you, don't trust anybody you don't know, be aware of your surroundings, don't talk to anybody you don't know on the street and refrain from having eye contact with anybody you don't know. And you may just may survive here in one piece with your possessions in-tact.

Its the ones inside the compound that bother me. Every single time I go to the Embassy there are Brits approaching me with a sob story about their passports being stolen and can I lend them some money to get to the airport.

I've given 500 Baht or so to a few and never once received a thank you email saying they got home safe.

I'm sure there are some genuine cases, but the ubiquity of them makes me feel they've read on the internet somewhere its an easy way to score cash to stay longer in Thailand.

Just out of interest Tom....at what age do you consider Thai males to become adults???

You keep mentioning a Thai "boy" and then say he could be in his "twenties".

HL :o

You what?... Well for what its worth; It was just a generalisation, he was a lot younger than the rest and probably in his late teens, I did at one point say teens. I could have said 'guy' or 'person' or even 'chap'.

Anyway, yeah, thanks for pointing that out. :D

Its the ones inside the compound that bother me. Every single time I go to the Embassy there are Brits approaching me with a sob story about their passports being stolen and can I lend them some money to get to the airport.

I've given 500 Baht or so to a few and never once received a thank you email saying they got home safe.

I'm sure there are some genuine cases, but the ubiquity of them makes me feel they've read on the internet somewhere its an easy way to score cash to stay longer in Thailand.

Inside the embassy - really!

I have never been to the Bangkok one but in Singapore they are bloody strict - Gurhka's watching you all the way from entance to consular section

I have never been to the Bangkok one but in Singapore they are bloody strict - Gurhka's watching you all the way from entance to consular section

Well presumably they get in saying they have legitimate business as they've lost their passport then they hang around talking to people waiting for things to be processed. Every now and then they find a soft hearted sucker like me!

I feel bad for people who genuinely would be helped because I've been burned enough times now that i won't help anyone

I had to wait outside the embassy whilst my missus got her visitor visa. I was there for about an hour and noticed several people being approached by these guys. They appeared to be offering a visa service to all those who got refused.

Interestingly, when my missus came out, she tried to joke with me that she had been turned down. The main reason I guessed she was joking was because we didn't get approached by these touts. :o)

I suspect there was somebody on the inside calling them to let them know who had been turned down in return for a little kickback.

Well presumably they get in saying they have legitimate business as they've lost their passport then they hang around talking to people waiting for things to be processed. Every now and then they find a soft hearted sucker like me!

I feel bad for people who genuinely would be helped because I've been burned enough times now that i won't help anyone

Don't forget that one of the reasons cited for the big increase in British passport fees last year or so was the increased cost of assisting 'distressed' nationals who had encountered difficulties overseas. So in a way we are all paying to help these (legitimate) cases already.

Just out of interest Tom....at what age do you consider Thai males to become adults???

HL :D

Does it really matter ? Why not just leave the post alone instead of having to question what he thinks and why he thinks.

Anyone with any intelligence would say thanks to the OP for the warning.

You have turned a warning about thieves into a question of what someone calls "boys"

:o

if peeple need to be warned about starngers trying to "help" them they shouldnt be in thailand in the first place.

didnt their momma tell them not to talk to strangers or was it rick springfield who said" baby dont talk to strangers "

seeing as I have been accused by an emptymind of trying to ruin the op's post then I will throw in another view....

When my daughter got married over here and we went to the embassy to get the affirmation to marry for her and her fiance we then had to get it translated and not having done this before had no idea where the translaters offices were.

On leaving the embassy we were approached by a person who offerred translation services. We were naturally suspicious but followed her and she simply led us to one of the official translating offices on the main road, who then did an excellent job for us, got everything translated, notarised and delivered to our hotel in no time, for a very reasonable cost. The suspicious person was simply working on a small commision for the office.

So although I can easily believe that there are con artists out there I also know that most of the people outside the embassy who approach potential customers are simply trying to help and earn a meagre commision.

"More surprisingly was that there was a police car with officer inside sitting on the other side of the road...and didn't do anything about what was happening..."

So, what WAS happening? A Thai guy spoke to you, and what would you have the police do to a Thai who has the audacity to speak with you?

I bumped into a distressed girl in The honey bear hotel in Victoria point Burma getting my visa one month a while back. Turned out her boyfriend had skipped out of Burma leaving her with no money and a hotel bill to boot. I ended up giving her 20,000 baht in all with all the promises of her getting it back to me as soon as she got back home etc. A London girl by the way. My mate at the time said I was crazy and would never see my cash again. About 2 moths later I got an email saying she had western Unioned me the cash back, more than 20,000, and she had also booked me into the Landmark in BKK for a weekend with a bottle of Bubbly thrown in as well. There are some good honest people out there who do hit hard times or trouble. Just go on the basis that you are giving them the money then if you get it back its a bonus. She still writes now and then and is going to come over for a vist end of the year :o

TomBrown , assuming lives in LOS for a while has possibly adapted the "Thai" way of extending the words such as "Babies,Boys and Girls" to Older Children and Younger Adults.

My Thai Mrs. does it all the time!

Just a quick caution to anyone who is visiting the British Embassy;

After visiting the British Embassy yesterday, on exiting to the street front my family and I were approached by a Thai boy asking if we wanted assistance in anything. I didn't quite get the full story, as the Embassy security guard had spotted this and came over and told the guy to go away. As such he walked back across the road where his other gang members were waiting. The security guard said that he had been trying to get foreigners to go with them and then yeah would steel anything they could get. Maybe he and the gang were pick pockets. Surprisingly, the gang of four just waited across the street for the next people to come out of the Embassy. More surprisingly was that there was a police car with officer inside sitting on the other side of the road where this gang were also waiting and didn't do anything about what was happening, and that the gang didn't even seem to care or be undeterred from the fact that the police were there and the embassy security guard were onto their game. The gang consisted of all Thais, one guy aged about 35 - 40, two women around 40, and the Thai boy aged around late teens / early 20's.

Thanks TomBrown!

Yes I feel that Your not even safe once INSIDE the embassy!I have had a deed poll name change (To My Mum's Maiden name on My birth cert) Rejected.(By the Thai staff at the counter) I was sent packing back from BKK to My home city.

Despite having produced Valid UK Pass.(for amendment/renewal)

Original "Long" Birth cert.

NHS Card.

2 cancelled previous passports.

A completed Deed Poll witnessed and purchased from a registered firm in the UK.

First I was told Via phone that it would have to be Notarised(1,500 bht)

After arriving and producing it and being sent packing.I was called today.The "Girl" explained in Mariann Faithful English, That her supervisor "Had called The DP Issuer in the UK and They would send another!(Blank?To Be Rewitnessed?)This with their Firms letterhead and or watermarked paper!?

Afterwhich I could send it to the embassy and they would tell Me when I could send Passport App payment and My Passport.Amending with "Perhaps I could Fax the New Issue of Deed Poll instead"

( Oh can You read watermarks from a fax?)

I contacted My solicitor in the UK.Nope ! No Calls From anyone Today!No Emails by or on behalf of the BKK Embassy!

That's a pile of HOT AND STEAMY....!

My Mrs told Me "Big Problem" in ALL embassies. Many Thai employees have and will inevitably use their positions to try to extract extra payments for things they can.(Hence the send um away waiting psycology!)

So Will the Consul come down (natralised UK Citizen!?) and apologize for his staff Lying?

And will the none UK staff get their heads around British law and proceedure?

Will I get My New/Amended Passport!

On the Bloody Mini Bus again! (Jus Get on Da Buss Guss!)

Stay Tuned! Peace!

I bumped into a distressed girl in The honey bear hotel in Victoria point Burma getting my visa one month a while back. Turned out her boyfriend had skipped out of Burma leaving her with no money and a hotel bill to boot. I ended up giving her 20,000 baht in all with all the promises of her getting it back to me as soon as she got back home etc. A London girl by the way. My mate at the time said I was crazy and would never see my cash again. About 2 moths later I got an email saying she had western Unioned me the cash back, more than 20,000, and she had also booked me into the Landmark in BKK for a weekend with a bottle of Bubbly thrown in as well. There are some good honest people out there who do hit hard times or trouble. Just go on the basis that you are giving them the money then if you get it back its a bonus. She still writes now and then and is going to come over for a vist end of the year :o

Thanks For a VERY Fine story Shared!

Many of us are "Stingy"Givers.

We give or help from our hearts.It is a Dharma Bank.(What goes in Comes out again!Exept We often sit "Waiting' at the same place for it to come back out and We Miss sit comming Back in another place!)

Thanx again H2o!!!

• 1 month later...

I have just been to the Bangkok Embassy with my British passport in hand and spent an hour outside after being told by Nepali security officers to go away as nobody at the embassy would speak to me, they would not even supply telephone numbers of staff inside the embassy. Eventually through calling friends I managed to get the number of the Duty Officer who then organised entry. It seemed like the embassy staff inside are willing to assist when contacted however they must be aware that their security staff at the gate are obstructive and in my case downright rude. If they are not aware they soon will be as I have a feeling I will be making many more visits to my embassy.

I have just been to the Bangkok Embassy with my British passport in hand and spent an hour outside after being told by Nepali security officers to go away as nobody at the embassy would speak to me, they would not even supply telephone numbers of staff inside the embassy. Eventually through calling friends I managed to get the number of the Duty Officer who then organised entry. It seemed like the embassy staff inside are willing to assist when contacted however they must be aware that their security staff at the gate are obstructive and in my case downright rude. If they are not aware they soon will be as I have a feeling I will be making many more visits to my embassy.

Hi,

I had a similar experience with the ex gurka's who run the security at the Bkk embassy in a few years back, they said I could not see anyone without an appointment.

I dind bother argung with them instead I just phoned the embassy on my mobile and asked to be put through to the Ambassador, I was put through to his P.A.and I asked her to come down to the gatehouse as I wished to see the Ambassador to demand an explanation why he was refusing Uk Citizens entry to the uk Embassy.

Before she got there the guards said ok you can go though but I waited for the Ambassadors PA to arrive, She tried to support the guards but when I produced my passport and asked her to read the inner cover and pointed out that no one much less a non uk citizen had the right to refuse a uk citizen entry to a UK Embassy and demanded to see the Ambassador personally see sid I would need an appointement to see him.

I told her to make the appointment and she then changed her tune and we wew allowed in, oddly enough on my later visits the guards were full of smiles and accomodating.

By standing your ground if you think you are right you are hopeully making it easier for the next poor sod.

roy gsd

HL :D

Does it really matter ? Why not just leave the post alone instead of having to question what he thinks and why he thinks.

Anyone with any intelligence would say thanks to the OP for the warning.

You have turned a warning about thieves into a question of what someone calls "boys"

:o

Warning? I would like to know what the 'chap' 'boy' 'man' 'person' etc... had done. It appears nothing except for possibly asking folks if they wanted assisitance. Perhaps that is why the police did nothing, they "the gang" weren't doing anything illegal... Sounds like some Brits are paranoid.. :D

"More surprisingly was that there was a police car with officer inside sitting on the other side of the road...and didn't do anything about what was happening..."

So, what WAS happening? A Thai guy spoke to you, and what would you have the police do to a Thai who has the audacity to speak with you?

Exactly..... "Paranoid Brits" :o

"Officer...the bad Thai boy talked to me....and his gang members *looked* at me"