Any Uk Ex Forces On Here Married To A Thai?

The Bullfrog

I am getting long in the tooth now and am beginning to think about the missus and kids when I kick the bucket. I did 16 years in the R Sigs and will be entitled to a pension at 65 but what happens when I die..How can I make sure my Thai wife gets the dosh she is entitled to...and what about my state pension???

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated...

I have a private company pension and when I pass on my thai wife automatically gets 50 percent of that for the rest of her natural. She will also get part of my government pension when I eventually get it but I am not too sure how much.

I dont know how your forces pension works but all you have to do is get in touch with your pension provider and they will tell you and you can also register all her details with them at the same time.

HL :o

May not be good news.

I have a "preserved" pension from the RAF that starts to pay out when I am 60 (next year)

BUT, the wife's entitlement when I snuff it was only applicable to the wife I was married to at the time I left the RAF: if still married to.

My new wife has no entitlement, so the pension stops when I do.

Your situation may vary, only way to be sure is to contact the (Army?) pensions department.

Good luck.

J.

I have a private company pension and when I pass on my thai wife automatically gets 50 percent of that for the rest of her natural. She will also get part of my government pension when I eventually get it but I am not too sure how much.

I dont know how your forces pension works but all you have to do is get in touch with your pension provider and they will tell you and you can also register all her details with them at the same time.

HL :o

Thanks Larry..

I only go back to the UK every 3 years or so..and have no plans to go back next year..Anybody know how I can contact the ADPF ( I don't even know if this is the correct organisation!) or add her to my state pension?? I am currently in East Africa...

Google "Xafinity Paymaster", these are the ones handing out military pensions, but no e-mail address only Fax or tel number. Be careful what you tell them as many countries do no get index linked pensions. When you contact give Regimental number and National health No if you remember it)

I am in New Zealand at the moment and all my paper documents are at home in Thailand.

However I did contact the RAF pensions people at "Xafinity Paymaster" and told them that I had remarried to my Thai wife and they said that was not a problem as the pension will go to my current wife and not my former wife but that I had to fill in a form with them confirming that my wife was where I wanted the pension to go to.

Google "Xafinity Paymaster", these are the ones handing out military pensions, but no e-mail address only Fax or tel number. Be careful what you tell them as many countries do no get index linked pensions. When you contact give Regimental number and National health No if you remember it)

Thanks. This was a good start but unfortunately each of the numbers published said I should call an 0800 number in Glasgow. As I am in Esat Africa at the moment I can't call.

They DID however give me an address which I should write to..but as it is difficult ( Impossible) for me to receive mail here it was a bit of a dead end..

Any other tel numbers or Email addies??

I did some more searching and got another number..+44 141 2243600.

He confirmed that the law changed in 1978 so that if you remarry, your new wife will be entitled to a widow's pension...but only from 1978 onwards..So for me 1973 to 1978 is not included in her payment.

I was then told to write to:-

65 Brown Street

Glasgow

G2 8EX

Hope this info helps somebody else..

Now..How do I add her to my state pension...???

Things have changed in the services pensions department, the people to contact are: http://www.veterans-uk.info/. If you served after a certain date then you have a preserved pension which is payable from age 60. You need to update them with your personal details re marrige. In the case of the UK state pension look at http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/home.asp.

Hope this helps, if you struggle pm me and I well try and help, I am retired pensioner and get newsletter from vetrans -uk every year with my pension increase.

There are a few sites you can browse:

SPVA: www.veterans-uk.info/about_us/about_us.html

DWP: www.dwp.gov.uk

Samui ex Servicemens blog: samui-ex-servicemen.blogspot.com

I received the following reply to my questions...in case anybody else needs it.... :o

1. There is no need for you to do anything to nominate your wife for a widow’s pension. When you die, your widow or personal representative (for example a solicitor or relative acting on her behalf) should tell the Pensions Division that you have died. To do this they will need to either contact Pensions section in writing or by contacting the Enquiry Centre (please see details below). They will be sent a letter of condolence, together with application forms inviting them to claim any pension benefits or lump sum benefit due to them or your estate. The person claiming will need to make sure that the application forms are signed, witnessed and fully filled in before they are returned to the Pensions Division. The reason for this is that the administrators cannot take further action until these forms are properly filled in and they have received the relevant death, birth and marriage certificates, or unmarried partner documentation. We will photocopy the certificates and return the originals to the person claiming. Eligibility will then be considered. If benefits are awarded they will be backdated to the day after your death.

2. Her nationality will not affect her pension benefits however please be aware that as you married after leaving the Armed Forces only service given on or after the 6 April 1978 will count towards her widow’s pension. If you would like a forecast of her pension benefits please apply in writing to Pensions (please see details below) with your service number, dates of service, national insurance number and date of marriage. Please also supply any details of a pension sharing order that may be applied to your pension due to your previous marriage.

3. You are entitled to a preserved pension and a terminal grant which is three times the value of your annual pension. I have attached a PDF booklet to this email which explains what benefits you are entitled to. To claim your preserved pension please complete the attached application form (AFPS Pension Form 8) and return it to the Pensions Division no later than three months before your 60th Birthday.

4. Unfortunately I am unable to release monetary information via email however; you can apply for a forecast of your pension benefits. To do so (as with your wife’s pension forecast) please apply in writing to pensions with your service number, national insurance number and dates of service. Please be aware that this process can take up to 20 working days.

Pension address:

Tri Service Pensions

SPVA

Mailpoint 480

Kentigern House

65 Brown Street

Glasgow

G2 8EX

Fax: 0141 224 2571

The JPAC Enquiry Centre can be contacted via one of the following numbers:

JPAC EC (Civilian): 0141 224 3600

JPAC EC (Free): 0800 085 3600

JPAC EC (Overseas): +44 141 224 3600

I hope this information has been of some assistance and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Many Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Williams

JPAC EC Agent (HR)

* (Mil) JPACEnquiryCentre

* (Civ) [email protected]

( (Mil) 94560 3600

( (Civ) 0141 224 3600

( (Freephone) 0800 085 3600

can you not transfer the pension?
To What..??....

I think the poster is confusing the rules for private pensions with those of state pensions, the UK state pension is non transferable and can only be paid when reaching the legal retirement age (currently 65 for men and 60 for women) However, I believe there is some provision for people that emigrated to certain countries where their earned pension entitlement can be transfered to their new country so that they can qualify for that state pension when the time comes. This is a complicated subject and would need in depth research to confirm a) what countries participate :o what you gain/lose by transfering.

The other part of the equation is private pensions which unlike the state pension can be transfered to another provider ( at a cost) but here we are getting into personal circumstances and this is best dealt with by an independant financial advisor. Hope this helps/clarifies the situation.