Special vegetables

Just had a request, I live in the north of Thailand. I wonder where to find special Vegetables, EG Radicchio, rubarb, romain lettuce, iceberg lettuce , Endives, big purple round endives..... etc. plus all the special herbs. Anyone in my area can give locations, producers????

I would be most gratefull for your help guys, is it easy to find?

Thanks

Also...anyone have a handle on brussels sprouts? Sure would be nice to have with a Sunday roast.

While we're at it...anyone know about where to find a nice stuffing mix?...you know...like what Sainsburys do...just add hot water? There ain't much I like about England but the food in rural Thailand is for sh*t. I've lived all over the world and the local food I wouldn't give to a cat.

Regards

Also...where is the best place in BKK to buy western food? I've only been to Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5 and they ain't got much. Anybody know where to buy Copenhagen Snuff? I hate smoking these Marlboro Lights for my nicotine addiction. Good bakery, nice cheeses and New Zealand beef come to mind.

Administrator...I expect you to stand with WMD to protect me from the politically correct that would have me eat insects and soggy rice in the name of not being uptight.

All the best...

regarding grocery stores in bkk, the best ones i've found are in central chidlom (ground floor) and in emporium 5th floor i think). they have a pretty good selection of western food, and also good meats, fish and vegetables. i always end up spending too much cash there though...

Not Veggie yet but if want best selection in BKK try Villa.  However, if you are adventureous come to Pattaya and turn left on soi Siam country club to soi 19 then turn left 125 meters. It is small but has things no one has . I will say they are under remodelling now reopen in two weeks if I remember correctly.

Hmmm...I've been to the Carrefor on the road going north outside of town and the Lotus in Suphan Buri...1000 different kinds of noodles in packets but no ground beef...if it wasn't for Campbells soup and saltine crackers I would whither.

I will have a look around the places that you suggest in BKK. Just want to declare that there is nothing wrong with not wanting to have chicken gristle and pork tripe with rice be a dietary mainstay.

In the immortal words of Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band...'Give me a cheeseburger!!!' (Living in the USA).

pschef...sorry to co-opt your thread...

May I join the BandWagon?

I am Looking for "GINGER JAM" ...

Chivers & Sainsbury (I think) make it in UK

I would certainly vote for Emporium

(Connected to Phrom Phong SkyTrain Station)

for the best Supermarket/Deli that I have

seen in Bangkok.

I consider FoodLands generally to be in second

place with a wide variety of Imported foods.

But special Veg. in the North?

Sorry pschef !!

Roger

Sorry you guys, but I am looking for real specail stuff.  I would  and be grateful for you lot living in Chiang mai, I alraedy know about Tops Etc. If you live near a hill Tribe, they produce some amazing stuff. Okay back to you ???

pschef, all those things you are asking for are known as "cold weather" crops.  Here in the northern US they cannot be grown during summer, but only in spring and fall.  Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai should be able to grow them in December-Jan, based on the average temps for those months.  The problem is going to be that these crops are not native, and unknown there.  (Ever try to buy lanzones in the US?) I am afraid you will need to work with some NGO  (or even GO) to see about the potential for importing seed for some of those crops. There will have to be a market for them, but the tourism industry will provide that. Note that all this is uneducated guesswork from the US,  but based on knowledge that the King has got apples and peaches and stuff growing there in one of his programs for the hill tribes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PSChef,

I went to Chaing Mai last year and visited the King's agri. project there. There is a shop in Chaing Mai Uni. I believed called Doy Come in the Agr. Dept. The project grows a lot of what you need and sends them to 1st class hoters in bkk. They are also organicly grown. I think they are still doing it.

Good luck.

Mali

If not, contact me again. We can ship it from california to you.