Non B Or Non O

A couple of weeks ago i posted a thread about my visa expiring along with my entry stamp. I made a b*lls up and misread my stamp by a month, I actually thought it expired on the 14th of June when in fact it expires on the 17th of July. Like the idiot I am I realised this after driving half way to Cambodia. It was a fun day out though.

Anyway my situation as it stands is this. My multi Non O visa expired on the 14 of June, but my stamp expires on the 17th July. I am going to obtain a new visa this week, then run to Cambodia to re-enter hopefully. Is it reasonable straight forward to obtain a B visa? and is this of any benefit to me? or should i obtain a new mutli Non O. This would be my third Multi Non O incidentally, however this would be the first time at obtaining a work permit. (which incidentally i don't have right now despite working)

I am employed as a consultant for an Engineering Company who has drafted a letter confirming my employment and role. Would this along with a doctors report be enough to obtain the visa. Do i need to prove income, although surely this would be a catch 22 situation for me as I don't have the permit as yet. If a non B visa isn't of any benefit, should i just opt for another Non O.

And finally, which ever i try to obtain, should I deal with this here at the immigration in BKK, or do the stamp and the visa at cambodia.

Many Thanks

Edited by CCCP

If you go outside Thailand and apply for a visa the letter from the company confirming your work should be enough.

But I think you can apply for a workpermit and extension of stay based on your work with your local immigration office. This will give you a stay of one year, without having to leave the country.

For that a lot more paperwork will be required than the letter from your employer and the doctors report. But you need that any way to get a workpermit. Better call your local labour ofice and see which documents they require.

Edited by Mario2008

The company letter alone is normally not enough if you want to apply in a neighbouring country

If you go outside Thailand and apply for a visa the letter from the company confirming your work should be enough.

But I think you can apply for a workpermit and extension of stay based on your work with your local immigration office. This will give you a stay of one year, without having to leave the country.

For that a lot more paperwork will be required than the letter from your employer and the doctors report. But you need that any way to get a workpermit. Better call your local labour ofice and see which documents they require.

If you want to apply for a non immigrant B visa you should travel with the paper work listed below which should get you a single entry three month non immigrant B. This list of requirements is pasted from the Thai MFA website http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492 The 'letter of approval' is the receipt you get when you first apply for a WP, which you or your employer must do before you travel

Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed visa application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant's prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).

- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions

6) map indicating location of the company

7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)

8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

N.B.

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.

- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence

Considering the reams of paper required for a non-b I would humbly suggest going for another non-o.

Save a few trees :o

Have you considered extending on the grounds of marriage (now would be the right time to go for it). I assume that (like myself) most of your consultancy income is paid offshore, you could use this offshore income to obtain a 12 month extension. A big plus of this type of extension is that it's not linked to a work permit so should the job go belly up you don't lose your right to remain in Thailand.

Considering the reams of paper required for a non-b I would humbly suggest going for another non-o.

Save a few trees :o

Have you considered extending on the grounds of marriage (now would be the right time to go for it). I assume that (like myself) most of your consultancy income is paid offshore, you could use this offshore income to obtain a 12 month extension. A big plus of this type of extension is that it's not linked to a work permit so should the job go belly up you don't lose your right to remain in Thailand.

Funny you should mention marriage as my GF asked recently. In the meantime i may as well opt for the Non O as the plan is to marry soon.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Funny you should mention marriage as my GF asked recently. In the meantime i may as well opt for the Non O as the plan is to marry soon.

ERROR, ERROR, ERROR (on my part) :o

I had assumed that you were already married (several 'O' visas in the past). You are unlikely to get an 'O' locally unless you are married :D

Sorry for any misunderstanding, what was that about 'assume' making an ass of u and me?