Open A Restaurant With My Thai Wife

Hi everyone, please help me on it.

My project is to open a restaurant to work in it with my future thai wife. I need to contain at max expenses because I have only a little budget. The plan is to go to thai with a touristic visa, marry, then convert it to a non-immigrant to request a OYSP for marriage. At this point open a company me with her (and if need she have 2 sisters can join us in company/partnership or to be employed) and request the wp for me. I would like to know if and how is possible to do avoiding the 2M baht of capital for the company (that we don't have :o )

I read on the Business Setup For Thai Wife topic (a bit outdated) that there's a way but I need fresh news about the situation as laws changes very quickly and with no stop in thai.

Many many thanks for any help on it

Gbye

Max

My project is to open a restaurant to work in it with my future thai wife. I need to contain at max expenses because I have only a little budget. The plan is to go to thai with a touristic visa, marry, then convert it to a non-immigrant to request a OYSP for marriage. At this point open a company me with her (and if need she have 2 sisters can join us in company/partnership or to be employed) and request the wp for me. I would like to know if and how is possible to do avoiding the 2M baht of capital for the company (that we don't have :o )

I read on the Business Setup For Thai Wife topic (a bit outdated) that there's a way but I need fresh news about the situation as laws changes very quickly and with no stop in thai.

Gbye

Max

This is business 101:

The 3 major reasons businesses fail are:

1. Over expansion

2. Bad Partnership

3. Under funded

From your posting, I don't think over expansion is going to be a problem for your at this point. Unfortunately you have the other two covered in spades. Good luck with you visa keep the money in your pocket. :D

Gbye

Max

This is business 101:

1. Over expansion

2. Bad Partnership

3. Under funded

From your posting, I don't think over expansion is going to be a problem for your at this point. Unfortunately you have the other two covered in spades. Good luck with you visa keep the money in your pocket. :D

Thanks for the advice, don't think I want to make money or get rich by it, it's just to cover expenses and have a permission to stay in thai.

bye

Max

To qualify for one year extension of stay based on marriage you have to have an combined income of 40.000 baht with your wife.

You and your wife can work together in the restaurant.

No need for employees as your visa is based upon marriage.

For the workpermit you must setup a company.

The 2 million baht is only on the balance sheet, can be intellectual value as you are Italian chef :o

You can also make an add here on thaivisa.com, "want to buy company" there are many out there.

Gbye

Max

This is business 101:

1. Over expansion

2. Bad Partnership

3. Under funded

Thanks for the advice, don't think I want to make money or get rich by it, it's just to cover expenses and have a permission to stay in thai.

bye

Max

Better find other ways to get your visa, but opening up a business especially another Thai Restaurant, you'll probably spend the little money you have and end up regretting it. And having your Thai wife's family involve in the business will likely leave you with zero control and zero return Again good luck.

this should go in business section. op may want to read as someone else has same same idea.

be forewarned the people giving good advice r usually referred to as killjoys, raining on ones dream, negativists, etc.

and these r the ones i think r giving good advice.......lol.

this should go in business section. op may want to read as someone else has same same idea.

be forewarned the people giving good advice r usually referred to as killjoys, raining on ones dream, negativists, etc.

and these r the ones i think r giving good advice.......lol.

So in other words she is saying dont start a business in thailand as its impossible to make money. Thats why i see all those nice 4x4s driving around all over the place cus no one has anymoney.

You cant make money is thailand? Yeah right!!!

Get a grip cynthia!

Regarding the original question OP. Why dont you just get a non imm O visa which intitles you to stay in thailand for 15 months? And then think about a business once your here?

given the few things op states about hisself yes it is dumb for HIM to start a business.

will you grow up and stop smoking som tum!

You're right - My advice for the OP was based on the fact that (or my educated guess) he is seriously underfunded, and no experience (in any businesses/restaurants).... Indeed you can make money whilst living here in Thailand.

So in other words she is saying dont start a business in thailand as its impossible to make money. Thats why i see all those nice 4x4s driving around all over the place cus no one has anymoney.

You cant make money is thailand? Yeah right!!!

Thats because they only 19000 for deposit then the repo man comes

The key to living in thailand for a start is to live modestly, If you have enough money for the basics at first you can be happy, No need to keep thinking about western incomes, not relevent! maybe this post is irrelevent to the the original topic, but its my little bit of advice to readers! lol

QUOTE (cynthialee @ 2008-07-07 12:39:10) post_snapback.gifgiven the few things op states about hisself yes it is dumb for HIM to start a business.

will you grow up and stop smoking som tum!

I see "The Apprentice" strikes again - sound business advice about not smoking somtam :o

My project is to open a restaurant to work in it with my future thai wife. I need to contain at max expenses because I have only a little budget.

Better find other ways to get your visa, but opening up a business especially another Thai Restaurant,

you'll probably spend the little money you have and end up regretting it.

And having your Thai wife's family involve in the business will likely leave you with zero control and zero return Again good luck.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I fear this will be the final outcome.

Good luck all the same.

Love is a fearsome task master. :D

PS I hope you understand your nickname?

TingTong, means "not all there". :o

It does not auger well for you.

Gbye

Max

I do understand your plan and your reasoning.

The economy in Thailand, whatever the press or government would like to tell you, is not well.

Thai restaurants, well everyday hundreds are opened.

And closed again.

So many people out of work try to run a business like that.

There are more restaurants, food stalls & all, as customers, or so it seems.

But, you are welcome to try.

However, leave out the family, try to run the business below the tax/vat bracket, together with your wife, and without staff.

Maybe impossible, but there are always ways. (oops, wrong wording)

Depending on where you are living, you might try to cater for farang by serving some farang dishes?

With that basis try to obtain the permission to stay.

Goodluck

Thanks for your replies. My friends, please read carefully before to suppose anything..

1) I never talked about open a thai restaurant

2) I never asked if you think is a good business idea or not

but I just asked about the procedure avoiding the 2M company, and nobody has answered on it

Have good time

Max

PS: I know what tingtong means, do you know what humor is? :o

Thanks for your replies. My friends, please read carefully before to suppose anything..

but I just asked about the procedure avoiding the 2M company, and nobody has answered on it

Have good time

Max

You could establish a Thai Limited Partnership. with your wife. If married, it's just 1 million THB Capitalisation per Work Permit.

It's important you understand that the 1 million capitalisation can be initially set up for only a few thousand baht.

Note that the capitalisation is the limit of liability for the company and does not have to be sitting in your bank (ever).

Using a reputable law firm, your initial company set up costs for such a partnership may be in the 10,000 to 30,000 THB range. You then have the costs for a Work Permit application, plus visa run costs.

The catch is that the Thai Managing Partner who is the partnersip's director will have unlimited liability. Your liability would be limited to the extent of the partnersip's capitalisation. The ongoing running costs are similar to those of a Thai Limited Company.

Also you have running costs, taxes to pay and annual audited accounts to produce as well. All in all these costs are not that much different from those of a full Thai Limited Company.

Have good time

Max

You could establish a Thai Limited Partnership. with your wife. If married, it's just 1 million THB Capitalisation per Work Permit.

It's important you understand that the 1 million capitalisation can be initially set up for only a few thousand baht.

Note that the capitalisation is the limit of liability for the company and does not have to be sitting in your bank (ever).

Using a reputable law firm, your initial company set up costs for such a partnership may be in the 10,000 to 30,000 THB range. You then have the costs for a Work Permit application, plus visa run costs.

The catch is that the Thai Managing Partner who is the partnersip's director will have unlimited liability. Your liability would be limited to the extent of the partnersip's capitalisation. The ongoing running costs are similar to those of a Thai Limited Company.

Also you have running costs, taxes to pay and annual audited accounts to produce as well. All in all these costs are not that much different from those of a full Thai Limited Company.

Wouldn't it be better to opt for an ordinary partnership ?

Have good time

Max

As a foreigner, I am not sure if you can be part of an ordinary partnership here in Thailand.

In your Original Post you said that you wanted to work in the restaurant and you will thus need a Work Permit.

If your wife starts a Thai Sole Proprietorship to run the business, then she would need two Thai employees before she could employ you as a foreigner. This approach does however produce a company that has low annual administration/running costs.

A Thai Limited Partnership would only require 1 Million Capitalisation to employ you as a foreigner, since you are married to a Thai. Certainly in the past (admittedly I don't know how labour treat such applications currently) there were no requirements to have any thai employees to get a work permit with this type of company. That is why I suggested this option.

Talk to a reputable law firm here, they will explain the relative costs, advantages and pitfalls.

Have good time

Max

As a foreigner, I am not sure if you can be part of an ordinary partnership here in Thailand.

In your Original Post you said that you wanted to work in the restaurant and you will thus need a Work Permit.

If your wife starts a Thai Sole Proprietorship to run the business, then she would need two Thai employees before she could employ you as a foreigner. This approach does however produce a company that has low annual administration/running costs.

A Thai Limited Partnership would only require 1 Million Capitalisation to employ you as a foreigner, since you are married to a Thai. Certainly in the past (admittedly I don't know how labour treat such applications currently) there were no requirements to have any thai employees to get a work permit with this type of company. That is why I suggested this option.

Talk to a reputable law firm here, they will explain the relative costs, advantages and pitfalls.

Good answer, digital

Based on the info here it's impossible to say whether you should look to operate a limited company, any kind of partnership or a sole proprietorship under RD 11 (the last being the most normal way to operate a business of the kind that you describe and not requiring any capitalisation but then having to rely on other methods of visa entitlement). Running a business and obtaining a visa are 2 different aims and it may be that you can reasonably combine the 2 or it may be better to seprate them. Until you have an initial consultation with a reputable commercial law firm it's impossible to know.

As to the viability of the business, that is, as you point out, a whole other issue which you didn't ask about but which you now seem to have lots of free advice!!

PM me if you want to know any more,

rgds,

Paul

Then take the best advice so far and hire a professional company (Sunbelt) to handle that for you. Expecting to get all your answers off a forum board is about as ludicrous as opening a restaurant in Thailand.

A word of advise from someone who had a restaurant that made a little money each month ( in Pattaya ). I sounds great, work a little, get to spend time with the wife and all your friends have a place to come and eat and drink. Keep in mind that nothing works the way you think it should in Thailand. Don't count on all your friends coming over each day. They stop by once or twice a week for a beer and a bite but that is normally it. Also, if it can happen it will. Loose electric for an entire day, flood out your place when it rains, no water to wash the dishes, police stop by for a little extra, cooks walk out for no reason, etc etc. It is unbelieveable the things that go wrong. If you drink a little now you will find you drink alot more when you open, trust me ! Also, spending time with the wife around the house is fun and sweet and just feels good. When you are working together it is another story. If you love her and want to keep her don't work with her.

If you must open get professional help. I don't know Sunbelt but they would be a good start.

If you are over 50 and you wife is Thai have the restaurant in her name ( you can not however work in it ) and get retirement visa. This is alot easier and will cost less. If it starts to grow and you think you want to set it up differently it would not be too much of a problem.

Good luck !

To qualify for one year extension of stay based on marriage you have to have an combined income of 40.000 baht with your wife.

You and your wife can work together in the restaurant.

No need for employees as your visa is based upon marriage.

For the workpermit you must setup a company.

The 2 million baht is only on the balance sheet, can be intellectual value as you are Italian chef :o

You can also make an add here on thaivisa.com, "want to buy company" there are many out there.

What you mean with that? I can work with my wife without wp because we're married? It is new to me, can you explain it better? It should be wonderful for me, but are you sure of what you say?

Many thanks

Max

Have good time

Max

Why that? She run the sole proprietorship, she employ 2 thais, then can request me, her's husband and I can request the wp based on it. No company is needed. Or I'm wrong?

Have good time

Max

Good answer, digital

Based on the info here it's impossible to say whether you should look to operate a limited company, any kind of partnership or a sole proprietorship under RD 11 (the last being the most normal way to operate a business of the kind that you describe and not requiring any capitalisation but then having to rely on other methods of visa entitlement). Running a business and obtaining a visa are 2 different aims and it may be that you can reasonably combine the 2 or it may be better to seprate them. Until you have an initial consultation with a reputable commercial law firm it's impossible to know.

As to the viability of the business, that is, as you point out, a whole other issue which you didn't ask about but which you now seem to have lots of free advice!!

PM me if you want to know any more,

rgds,

Paul

Paul, I think as italian cannot own a sole proprietorship, it can be in her's name.

I know that running a business and obtain a visa are 2 different things.. can I obtain the OYSP being married, and the business is the business.. what's the point?

ciao

Max

A word of advise from someone who had a restaurant that made a little money each month ( in Pattaya ). I sounds great, work a little, get to spend time with the wife and all your friends have a place to come and eat and drink. Keep in mind that nothing works the way you think it should in Thailand. Don't count on all your friends coming over each day. They stop by once or twice a week for a beer and a bite but that is normally it. Also, if it can happen it will. Loose electric for an entire day, flood out your place when it rains, no water to wash the dishes, police stop by for a little extra, cooks walk out for no reason, etc etc. It is unbelieveable the things that go wrong. If you drink a little now you will find you drink alot more when you open, trust me ! Also, spending time with the wife around the house is fun and sweet and just feels good. When you are working together it is another story. If you love her and want to keep her don't work with her.

If you must open get professional help. I don't know Sunbelt but they would be a good start.

If you are over 50 and you wife is Thai have the restaurant in her name ( you can not however work in it ) and get retirement visa. This is alot easier and will cost less. If it starts to grow and you think you want to set it up differently it would not be too much of a problem.

Good luck !

Thanks for your advice and to share your experience. I will valuate it.

I'm not retired

Max

Gbye

Max

Whatever you do, don't hire any of her relatives, I made that mistake and they robbed me blind - place was shut down in 3 years, after finding out I owed money all over the city, and hadn't signed a thing - No the wife was not the culpirt, her family was....................sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its the truth..........

cynthialee Mate it is difficult to find a positive word amongst your 103 posts maybe it's time to get a life ??

maxtingtong Posters have offered you plenty of advice even to make sure you unerstood the true meaning of your nick - I believe unless you heed some of what they are saying you will have to change your nick to humptydumpty hopefully that will ring a bell.

Off to the local guy-yang eatery for a spot of somtam-thai (which by the way i enjoy) and larb-pla oh what a wonderful feeling, reemember TiT.(Thai dishes spelt how they sound no apologies given nor taken). Asked for a bottle of cork the other day, now that is an experience i will not repeat.

Can I suggest TV members should also read Maxtingtongs other post on Land to farm in Issan make your own minds up, my 2 bahts worth is :

Max you are a tingtong aren't you - in this post you talk of "your wife' yet in the start a business thread you talk of plan to marry and the story grows & grows like pinochio??? In one thread you are looking at starting a small business and in the other you are going to have people farm the land whilst you live in Bkk.

From the TT Start a farm in Issan post - What's the best for that area? What you would do with it?

I won't start my farmer life, but just manage it giving work to some local friends of her's family meanwhile we stay in bangkok.

From TT's Start a business Thread - Hi everyone, please help me on it.

My project is to open a restaurant to work in it with my future thai wife. I need to contain at max expenses because I have only a little budget. The plan is to go to thai with a touristic visa, marry, then convert it to a non-immigrant to request a OYSP for marriage. At this point open a company me with her (and if need she have 2 sisters can join us in company/partnership or to be employed) and request the wp for me. I would like to know if and how is possible to do avoiding the 2M baht of capital for the company (that we don't have