Wood Floor - Refinishing

PETERTHEEATER

Last year I repaired (by refinishing) a section of hardwood floor on which the varnish had blistered and lifted due to water under the floor. The floor is 18mm thick togue and groove planks laid on batten atop a solid concrete panel floor.

I stripped the old finish using a TOA paint stripper (dimethylene chloride), washed off the residue and allowed to dry. I then sanded, wiped with thinner to remove grease and allowed to dry. Finally I applied a coat of clear varnish which dried over 24 hours and followed with a second coat which also dried without problems.

Due to a repeat of the water contamination from a source which I have now located and fixed. I had a repeat problem on the same section of floor.

I now decided to refinish the complete section to avoid obvious overruns in the finish. I went through the previously successful procedure, paint stripper, wash, dry, thinner wipe, dry, first coat of varnish but the varnish did not dry but stayed sticky and dull.

The varnish I used, although from a new can, was suspect since I bought it originally as a Cuprinol Woodstain (Mahogany) but when I opened the can found that it was clear. So, I stripped the entire floor again (same procedure) and applied a first coat of a Cuprinol woodstain finish that I have used successfully on external woodwork. This time I just finished a small section as a trial. Just as well, that has not dried and is sticky and dull.

So, my question is what's gone wrong?

The only thing that I can think of is that a residue of the stripper (Methylene Dichloride) has been left in the grain of the wood and is affecting the varnish.

Should I be using some kind of neutraliser after stripping the floor. If so, what?

Ever thought of tiles :o The stain/varnish you have used drys purely by oxidation following evaporation of the solvent. So basicaly you need to have a good airflow and suitable temp. (assume temp not an issue here).

I would give it a few days minimum - stick a fan in the room and open the windows

High humidity won't help and careful with the use of a fan..locals usually thin down the varnish/lacquer with extra thinners!

Oil /alkyd based paints and varnishes dry by absorbtion of oxygen and moisture from the air. So where do you get your advice from - that be carefull with a fan and humidity!!

If the coating has been over applied then it needs time - together with good air flow and a reasonable temperature. If the coating was thinned then drying would be quicker as the underlying coat would be thinner - requiring less oxidation, which is a slower process!

Done all that. Tried a fan, windows open plenty of cross ventilation.

The floor is dry and now sanded bare wood. I tried a sample area using a wood finish that I have used all over the house without problem.

One light coat straight from the can was applied. Fortyeight hours later it is still tacky and is dull not glossy as it should be.

Once again I focus on whether there is a need to neutralise following application of the paint stripper and removal of the old finish.

Any suggestions?