Help!

steve sharp

Hi All,

This is my first post so go easy on me.... I am trying to find out what the procedure is for bringing a pet to Thailand, me and my wife are hopeing to travel to bkk mid december and will be staying for quite a long time, we have a westie and need advice on who what where to get the docs we need for bringing a dog with us.

Also will the animal be put into quarantine, and if yes for how long, I am sure there must be some members in this forum thats been along this route and would be very gratefull for there advice.

Thanks in advance Steve. :o

Hi All,

This is my first post so go easy on me.... I am trying to find out what the procedure is for bringing a pet to Thailand, me and my wife are hopeing to travel to bkk mid december and will be staying for quite a long time, we have a westie and need advice on who what where to get the docs we need for bringing a dog with us.

Also will the animal be put into quarantine, and if yes for how long, I am sure there must be some members in this forum thats been along this route and would be very gratefull for there advice.

Thanks in advance Steve. :o

Hi

I know the procedure very well as I have 2 yorkshire females always traveling with me to and out of thailand

If your dog is less than 5 kg including the bag (buy one from an airline as they have the proposer size) he can travel with you in the cabin. One dog is allowed per person... but you have to use a compamy allowing pets in cabin (no arabian , chinese, vietnamese company) inf act Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss I am not sure for others

If you use austrian airline they allow in the same bag two dogs if the weight of both doesn't exceed 8 kgs including the bag. The dogs must have been grown up together and not fight of course

You have to inform the company when you book your ticket, give the details of your dog or dogs and get OK for taking them (normally all together not more than 2 dogs are allowed in cabin in the same flight)

Entering Thailand the normal procedure is to go to Quarantine office just when you get your luggage back and get a clearance and import certificate... I personnaly have never been checked going out with my dogs and always entered without going through the procedure..

If you have to do it, take with you copies of your passport and visa at least 3 or 4, the the book of the dog with of course rabies vaccination, certificate of your veterinary doctor, not older than 8 days before the flight precising your dog is in good health and has no illnes (it is an international form and all veterinaries know that). Ask your travel agency to send a fax to BKK airport to the airline you travel with to inform a dog will be in the plane and ask also this in the airport when you register on the plane... as airport calls a veterinary in BKK to come and check the dog... but if they are not informed you have to wait for him to come from BKK center.. which may take time

They then in quarantine will charge you 100 bahts per dog and give you an export licence (after the veterinary comes it takes 2 minutes to get it)

To go out of Thailand then you HAVE TO go through the procedure, go to quarantine office in the airport open from 8 to 4 every week day it is domestic airport side.

There you show your dog book with the rabies injection less than 1 year, your passport and they give you export licence for 100 bahts (5 minutes to get it)

Of course the same procedure is to follow to inform the airline and get when booking the permission to take your dog with you but to go back no use to send a fax in your country to inform a dog is in the plane as they don't check the dog , only look if rabies injection is made

There is no quarantine period to enter Thailand, you go out with your dog as soon as you get the licence, nor Europe.

Be careful as the travel agencies here always give wrong infos.. Don't forget no aarabian chinese or vietnamese airlines allows pets in cabin... whatever they tell you is WRONG.

For the dog you pay per kg, the price is different if your use different airlines... but approximately 1000 bahts per kg from Thailand to Europe... and higher to come from Europe to here, around 30 euros per kg

If you have a pet in hand luggage, no other hand luggage is allowed for you

Hope this helps you

Have a nice trip with your pet

Dominique

I used to travel with a dog and never went through any formalities at Don Muang, even when it travelled in a plastic crate in the hold of the aircraft. I had all the vaccination certs ready just in case, but was waived through the green lane each time. Don't know if things have changed or not. Best check with the Thai embassy in the UK and with the airline.