Beer in thailand

wilson steer

Chang for me just kills me... ok taste but the hanger and the stomach the next day... no thanks no more of chang. Leo no problem with hanger or stomach..... Archa tastes ok but made me feel no energy lethargic and bit depressing. Switched back to leo and all was good again.... same as my friend we both changed same time and both were feeling same way

Been here 3 1/2 yrs and stick to Tiger only (If I can)

Chang gives an enormous headache as does Singa.

I have had too many different tasting Heiniken.

Thumbs up for Tiger and no headache if I leave the Wine Dang alone when I get home.

I have to agree with all the negative comments about beer in Thailand. Even Heineken has a bad effect :o and I'm not a big drinker (and I don't like spirits). I have never seen "Thai beer" but have recently found "Federbrau" which is the same price as Heineken, 4.7% and a refreshing change with no obvious after effects. Has anyone else tried it? Brewed in Ayutthaya but listed ingredients (if you can trust them) are just water, barley, malt, hops, and yeast. It says "all natural ingredients" on the can.

Hey Ian I just tried a Federbrau and agree with you 100%. A great brew - thanks for the tip! Let's just hope that formaldehyde isn't "natural"!

Proverb my Granddad used frequently:

"If the devils made the wine, why the lord let grow the grapes?"

guess it the "cure" for ho's too, leave if you can't handle it!

...and the amount makes the poison!

Edited by Samuian

Beer Tiger or Beer Archa for me. :D

Just take a lao khao before bed and there's no hangover. :o

I would recommend analysing the beers and strong liqeurs...

Its not difficult to do but almost all beers which have to travel have things added to them and some used in the past were a lot worse then whats used now. Heiniken will never tast the same here as in the amsterdam brewery....

Donot forget water, and many adons being used.

Singha I forget, gives me an upset stomach. Chang is not bad and if you forget a bottle outside the fridge its still drinkable. Beer tiger is not bad and super leo also isnt bad (just dont know where to get it). For anyone deciding to make beer for their own usage which I did in the past but not in Thailand no idea what the law says about it.

Personally I would be more tempted to try to make wine... MANY good fruits here. Be aware it doesnt have to be grapes... most sweet fruits when ripe can be used!! Recently I saw mangosteen wine. Much to expensive to try though...

I have to agree with all the negative comments about beer in Thailand. Even Heineken has a bad effect :o and I'm not a big drinker (and I don't like spirits). I have never seen "Thai beer" but have recently found "Federbrau" which is the same price as Heineken, 4.7% and a refreshing change with no obvious after effects. Has anyone else tried it? Brewed in Ayutthaya but listed ingredients (if you can trust them) are just water, barley, malt, hops, and yeast. It says "all natural ingredients" on the can.

Hey Ian I just tried a Federbrau and agree with you 100%. A great brew - thanks for the tip! Let's just hope that formaldehyde isn't "natural"!

ThaiBev launches premium German beer

By THE NATION

Published on June 3, 2008

Thai Beverage, maker of Chang Beer, is moving into the premium category by launching Federbrau for drinkers who prefer mild German beer with 4.7 per cent alcohol.

Thapana Sirivadhanabhakdi, ThaiBev president and CEO, said: "Following the tremendous success of Chang, we are now focused on promising growth opportunities in the highly competitive premium market, now dominated by imported beers.

"Combined with the trend towards beverages with lower alcohol content, it should be a perfect time to launch Federbrau."

Thai Bev said it was the only local brewer that used a manufacturing process that meets the German Purity Law.

The premium segment is dominated by Heineken, a brand from the Netherlands, which is brewed and bottled here by Thai Asia Pacific Brewery.

Other players are Asahi and Kloster.

Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water.

Reinheitsgebot

Signed: Duke Wilhelm IV of Bavaria on April 23, 1516 in Ingolstadt.

Damnnnnnnnnn I'm thirsty! It's my first cold drink in more than a month. Bleh. I'm not a big beer drinker coz I go for whisky or vodka, but found an old bottle of San Miguel Light (big bottle) and two (big bottles) of Leo, the only tell-tale signs of a crazy party weeks ago. I hope 4 AM isn't to early for drinking beer. Cheers!

I'll write about the hang-over after I pick-up more beers in my exodus to the 7/11.

Edited by GracelessFawn

As far as I know the German purity laws are only for beer sold in Germany,

thats why its so difficult for foreign brewed beers to be sold in Germany.

Beers that are brewed for export and for consumption outside

Germany don't have the same restrictions.

I have a problem with beer it maybe the heat or age or additives but if I drink enough

to have a HO its a day in bed and a few days suffering,

Tiger or Lao are not so bad but if I get drunk on any beer its bad news.

I try to stick to vodka but some that I have had in gogos are from a lab

not a distillery .

I had a sip of Singh once... I still can't get the taste out of my mouth... lol

I am a seaman and have drink beer all over the world. In countrys where you can get malaria, they add Quinine to the beer. This is also in the Tonic water. The worst beer I ever tast was in the Persian Gulf. On a seaman-club there they had something they call "Polar Beer". Must be the urin from a Polar bear! I had a hangover that did not end before Cape Town!

In Thailand I can drink all beer, but prefere Singha.

Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water.

Reinheitsgebot

But no sugar or yeast.......................how does that work then ?

Edited by johnh101

• 2 months later...

Reinheitsgebot

I think that it is understood that the sugar, ie. sucrose is a pure hydrocarbon and the yeast is a living organism (enzyme/catalyst).

I recommend the 250ml tins of Guiness export priced at 90 baht they are not cheap but at 9% strength offer good value for money.

I simply refuse to drink Chang anymore, after drinking not even enough to make me just a bit drunk I can have a raging hangover the next day.

Singha is OK but can still give a hangover if you drink enough (Which can be said about all beers/alcohol of course), but the best for me in terms of hangover rating is Archa beer. It seems at times as though it doesn't matter how much I drink I still wake up feeling ok the next day.

Reinheitsgebot

The needed Sugar comes from the Barley in the malting process!

Believe (don't know) the yeasts came naturally form the brewing process, much later to have a controlled fermenting process, cultured yeast was added.

Formaldehyde is a protein preservative and commonly found in many beers in trace amounts to extend their shelf life.

There is a new beer on the market by the name of Fedderbrau. VERY good, much better than Heineken in my opinion, tastes more like an ale than a lager. I found it at Lotus in Chainart.

I found that having some food in the stomach first to say hello to the beer as it came down greatly reduced my hangovers. Even a hand full of potato chips will do but it has to be there first, not even a close second!

<font color='#000000'>I had the same experience!

When I have had just a few bottles of Singha, I woke up in the morning feeling like I have had al whole box of it.

Drink now HEINEKEN only and feel better. I am shure this Singha is not kosher. I doubt that the factory owners will drink it themself.

I know people drinking only Singha in vast amounts. They must be somehow adicted to thoose additives.</font>

I might be one of these folks :o

<font color='#000000'>Better yet...why not shit can the beer altogether. Try vodka, soda and fruit juice with lots of ice...guaranteed no hangover...just keep a jug of water by the bed for the drooth.

We need to get more vodka drinkers on board to lower the bar prices. Plus the ladies like a tipple as it doesn't &lt;deleted&gt; with their shape like beer does.</font>

Agreed, another gem is Thai rum, hangovers are a lot milder, prices good but not many thai bars sell it.

Found the only beer that does not give me HO is Tiger. Not see it mentioned anywhere in previous posts?? :D

Yep, good stuff Tiger which replaced Carlsberg on that taste front when they upped sticks. Can do a slab of Tiger and still be firing on three thrusters next day.

Defo some &lt;deleted&gt; in Chang and Singha... maybe not formaldehyde but something equally as dodgy knowing our hosts.

Find Leo alright, though, along with Asahi but the absolute pits is that Dutch piss-water, Heineken. Makes me gag just thinking about it :o

San Mig light,not only a decent beer and 5% but low calorie so you can kid yourself your on a diet.

Hangovers, there a fact of life alcoholic anonimous the only cure.

Drink with moderation and be happy not drunk.

I read on these boards that Singha light is normal Singha + water, so a bit of a con. But surely formaldehyde is a poison so would not be added to beers!?

<font color='#000000'>Better yet...why not shit can the beer altogether. Try vodka, soda and fruit juice with lots of ice...guaranteed no hangover...just keep a jug of water by the bed for the drooth.

We need to get more vodka drinkers on board to lower the bar prices. Plus the ladies like a tipple as it doesn't &lt;deleted&gt; with their shape like beer does.</font>

Agreed, another gem is Thai rum, hangovers are a lot milder, prices good but not many thai bars sell it.

Thais don't seem to like Vodka, I love the stuff, straight from the bottle

San Mig light,not only a decent beer and 5% but low calorie so you can kid yourself your on a diet.

Hangovers, there a fact of life alcoholic anonimous the only cure.

Drink with moderation and be happy not drunk.

I read on these boards that Singha light is normal Singha + water, so a bit of a con. But surely formaldehyde is a poison so would not be added to beers!?

Well melanin is a poison but the chinese were putting it in kiddies milk! What chance do we have with beer.