Dry Days Ahead?

moo9

There are some religious days ahead, Buddhist Lent Day on 17, 18. July.

Sorry for asking, I can not remember what happened the last years, but I guess there will be at least one dry day? Has anybody specific information?

Thanks.

Moo9

Sorry for asking, I can not remember what happened the last years, but I guess there will be at least one dry day? Has anybody specific information?

Thanks.

Moo9

17th Asaraha Bucha Day-no liquor to be sold or consumed (if you are Buddhist).

18th Buddhist Lent-same as above

As I am not Buddhist, I will buy my beer and wine on the 16th.

Thanks.

Moo9

So it seems like no bar open on 17 and 18 ?

I can remember something like that also during the last year....but not sure.

Thanks.

Moo9

They are usually two of the most strictly enforced 'alcohol free' days of the year.

Five years ago, I was in Bangkok and it was like a different city. All the bars and many restaurants were closed and Sukhumvit Road was in darkness. I wandered up to Soi 33, where all the bars were shut down tight, and I happened to notice a light from the Londoner Bar/restaurant. I walked towards the light, opened the door and it was absolutely heaving with customers drinking themselves to death. I had just ordered a beer when a squad of police arrived and stood inside the entrance to stop anyone leaving and surveyed the drunken revellers. I thought: "Here we go - maybe a night in jail" :o

After a couple of minutes, the police saluted some guy who appeared from the back office and then promptly departed, leaving one and all to continue drinking :D

Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent) is a time when lay Buddhist followers refrain from bad actions in particular drinking alcohol, taking drugs or leading an inappropriate life.

Instead of worrying about where we might find a drink on those two days, maybe it would be an idea for many of us to take this opportunity to clean out our bodies, especially our livers, and contemplate the direction of our lives is taking in "Sin city"

Thanks.

Moo9

Instead of worrying about where we might find a drink on those two days, maybe it would be an idea for many of us to take this opportunity to clean out our bodies, especially our livers, and contemplate the direction of our lives is taking in "Sin city"

yeah right...........key word being maybe