I Used To Be A Farang But Now I Am Kon Thai!

tomuk76

After reading this post that i have copied and pasted below i couldnt stop chuckling to myself, However i was just wondering if any of you lot knew any farangs that have gone to the extreme of thinking they are kon thai? C'mon a farang/westerner will always be a farang/westerner where he/she lives!

I remember the time i was travelling around india and i saw this western guy wearing a turbun buying something on a market from a indian wearing jeans and a t shirt! Now that was strange! I mean the the western guy!!

Anyway here is the post i found in on another topic debate! It was about being broke in thailand!

"I am always broke haha..but to live in Europe in the snow eating farang food and no temple round the corner to go to and speak with the monks, no Pad kaprao

or Gaeng Thai (แกงใต้) no going waddling in the stream catching fish (ทอดแหจับปลานิน) and maybe a million other things then i just couldn't live.

i make only 17000 baht a month dont work at all except on developing my website and taking the odd person to a temple for a tattoo and translating for them.

On this 17000 baht a month i live quite well only i dont have any savings.

I can understand someone who comes here lives in a beer bar, starbucks kfc and the pizza hut would prefer to go home and make money than live here broke, as they live the same western life here as they do at home...

but i cant eat that stuff i eat only thai food and for me a pad kaprao with a fried egg on top costs me 15 baht or 2 curries on rice i get for 20 to 25 baht

I also cant live without this food i dont eat bread and all that farang bull it isnt tasty and also expensive.

A coffee in starbucks costs 60 baht (uff what a waste thats 3 square meals for me which are much more delicious than a coffee)

I always wonder why some farang copme here as some people pack their tins of beans, marmit/vegemite, and all their other "home copmforts" and live on that when they are here...what is the point of being here if you cant adapt to the lifestyle and have to need your stuff from home country.

This is like taking your country with you.....why dont you just stay home if you dont like the real life/food/culture here?

i suppose some people only come for the women..which is as far as i am concerned stupid, as Thai women dont like farang they just like their money.

I couldn't take a wife who only wanted an easy life and a free ride but really all she is waiting for is me to die so she can go home and make a house and marry the thai she has always told me is her little brother or cousin.

I know a guy he employs his wife's little brother...well that guy is her boyfriend really i found out about it...but i ain't telling the farang because he has to learn himself.

Broke in Thailand? yes! But it is still better life than being middle class in Europe.

How many people in europe can afford a prawn and lemon grass soup every day eating out?

Even your average Thai can afford to eat fresh fish, prawns and lots of other lovely stuff on a "Broke" budget.

My 2 room condo apartment costs me 2700 baht a month and have internet for 300 a month 1mb another 100 baht a month gets me 50 cable tv channels...god i would have to work my ass off in Europe to keep all that together.

The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

If you have nothing for them to take then they cant take it off you"

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this post that i have copied and pasted below i couldnt stop chuckling to myself, However i was just wondering if any of you lot knew any farangs that have gone to the extreme of thinking they are kon thai? C'mon a farang/westerner will always be a farang/westerner where he/she lives!

I remember the time i was travelling around india and i saw this western guy wearing a turbun buying something on a market from a indian wearing jeans and a t shirt! Now that was strange! I mean the the western guy!!

Anyway here is the post i found in on another topic debate! It was about being broke in thailand!

"I am always broke haha..but to live in Europe in the snow eating farang food and no temple round the corner to go to and speak with the monks, no Pad kaprao

or Gaeng Thai (แกงใต้) no going waddling in the stream catching fish (ทอดแหจับปลานิน) and maybe a million other things then i just couldn't live.

i make only 17000 baht a month dont work at all except on developing my website and taking the odd person to a temple for a tattoo and translating for them.

I can understand someone who comes here lives in a beer bar, starbucks kfc and the pizza hut would prefer to go home and make money than live here broke, as they live the same western life here as they do at home...

but i cant eat that stuff i eat only thai food and for me a pad kaprao with a fried egg on top costs me 15 baht or 2 curries on rice i get for 20 to 25 baht

I also cant live without this food i dont eat bread and all that farang bull it isnt tasty and also expensive.

A coffee in starbucks costs 60 baht (uff what a waste thats 3 square meals for me which are much more delicious than a coffee)

I always wonder why some farang copme here as some people pack their tins of beans, marmit/vegemite, and all their other "home copmforts" and live on that when they are here...what is the point of being here if you cant adapt to the lifestyle and have to need your stuff from home country.

This is like taking your country with you.....why dont you just stay home if you dont like the real life/food/culture here?

i suppose some people only come for the women..which is as far as i am concerned stupid, as Thai women dont like farang they just like their money.

I couldn't take a wife who only wanted an easy life and a free ride but really all she is waiting for is me to die so she can go home and make a house and marry the thai she has always told me is her little brother or cousin.

I know a guy he employs his wife's little brother...well that guy is her boyfriend really i found out about it...but i ain't telling the farang because he has to learn himself.

Broke in Thailand? yes! But it is still better life than being middle class in Europe.

How many people in europe can afford a prawn and lemon grass soup every day eating out?

Even your average Thai can afford to eat fresh fish, prawns and lots of other lovely stuff on a "Broke" budget.

My 2 room condo apartment costs me 2700 baht a month and have internet for 300 a month 1mb another 100 baht a month gets me 50 cable tv channels...god i would have to work my ass off in Europe to keep all that together.

The broke thing isnt important as if you have a lot of money here then you either just blow it all on uinnecessary luxuries (ie starbucks) or some woman or thai guy syphons it out of you.

You no what,on the face of it that rant may seem complete un-educated bol**ox, but the op has made some great points in all fairness,i took my mrs out for a very nice meal on saturday and spent 7k baht and i am still racked with guilt,and the starbucks thing,that seems to come up a lot here,it seems that ony mugs with too much money drinks in starbucks??

In summary,i admit it has made me think about the money i blow on things i don't really need and things i could do without,some very good points and spelt out very simply.

Good post!

Edited by JOHN2

I like the post as well for different reasons. I like leaving a small footprint, keeping my life simple. As much as Starbucks was a part of my life I cant imagine going back to that way of living.

When I first came here I needed to surround myself with Americana just to feel normal. Sitting down to soup with a chicken claw sticking out of it would put me right off. I knew absorbing the lifestyle meant changing but it came slowly for me. What I wanted to do was avoid culture shock and avoid using this shock as an excuse to go back to the states. Its like getting into a hot bath, it can burn a bit at first but once in the water, its bliss. I met the girl of my dreams and have the daughter of my dreams as well so parts of your post I cant identify with. Almost six years now and I know going back to the USA would be the worst kind of culture shock possible.

You no what,on the face of it that rant may seem complete un-educated bol**ox, but you have made some great points in all fairness,i took my mrs out for a very nice meal on saturday and spent 7k baht and i am still racked with guilt,and the starbucks thing,that seems to come up a lot here,it seems that ony mugs with too much money drinks in starbucks??

In summary,i admit it has made me think about the money i blow on things i don't reall need,some very good points and spelt out very simply.

Good post!

Edited by swain

believe it or not, there are actually people in thailand who are reasonably/very well off financially and can have the best of both worlds whenever they want, wherever they want. bangkok for a month, west for a month, bangkok for a month, west for a month etc. etc. etc....

I'm sat here in the North east of England after the 8 month winter still waiting for a summer. (Didn't have one last year!). I'm not into slagging off my country... but what a shitty climate!!!!!

Never before has a post made so much sense.

I may be moving off topic but this post has made me think about costs and spending. I am firmly of the belief that any of us can be frugal without missing out on a good and fulfilling life. I am not wealthy by any means but earn an above average income in New Zealand. This allows me the freedom to travel however keeping an eye on the business whilst travelling brings about its own challenges. Part of the delight of travelling Thailand for me is to spend as little as possible (but enjoy the experience) and I set myself challenges to do so.

I also set myself some rules which I stick to for safety sake and also for family reasons.

• I want phone contact, so bought quadband phone and get 12call card in Thailand rather than roam
  • I never use any hotel internet but go to cafe down road each morning with laptop and buy a large coffee and download all mail, access intranet and conduct business as appropriate. Skype makes it so easy for free phone calling/voice chat.
  • Buy good food from street vendors rather than restaurants and tend to trust advice from locals as to who is safe and of value to buy from (never yet had a stomach problem.)
  • If I go to a bar, I do treat everyone with respect and have never yet been ripped off. Have shown total respect to bar girls and staff and one even took me to shops to buy presents for people and negotiated a price I could never have done for myself.
  • Shop on internet for best deal in hotel, and ensure package includes a few extras for no cost.
  • Use local laundry rather tha hotel, better quality, cheaper and good for local economy.
  • Listen and learn from others experiences in such places as TV (weed out the crap)
  • Research for trains, motor cycle hire etc before I leave.

Tony

คนปัญญาอ่อน

rukjungtorlae...why did you call the original poster an idiot...คนปัญญาอ่อน = khon bpun yaa oon = idiot/moron ??

2700 a month rent and they also have internet for 300 baht and apparently 50 cable channels for 100 baht? something is not adding up. room i am renting is 30K a month and has like 10 channels. cant see how internet could be that cheap either.

regardless, i thought it was funny that he thinks of KFC as luxury food.

I remembering commenting on this at the time. It paints an interesting picture of life as an illegal worker in Thailand and how the writer compensates for his low status by his belief that only he knows the real Thailand. He can rest assured that while he may not be on the top of the pile in Thailand he is certainly a cut above the ex-pats and tourists who are all sexually perverts who eat Marmite. Yes, this guy knows the real Thailand and knows that any Thai woman with a westerner is a prostitute. I certainly leaned a lot from him.

Buy good food from street vendors

:o:D :D

nothing wrong with street vendor food. in 13 years here, i've never been ill or had a bad meal.if i crave a particular dish ie: khao man gai dom / moo daeng etc.... , then the 25 - 30 baht outlay will satisfy me more than dropping 3000 baht at the Oriental's Sala Rim Naam.

:o:D:D

nothing wrong with street vendor food. in 13 years here, i've never been ill or had a bad meal.if i crave a particular dish ie: khao man gai dom / moo daeng etc.... , then the 25 - 30 baht outlay will satisfy me more than dropping 3000 baht at the Oriental's Sala Rim Naam.

I am with you on that one. Easy & taste just as good.

Definitely possible on that budget but obviously he's someone who doesn't need air con and probably means internet as "dial up" cards from 7-11. I start sweating a bit just between the front door and the garage / and between my car and whatever air conditioned facility I am entering.

:o

:D :D :D

I have nothing against street food, but, in all truth, would be much happier dropping the 3000 baht at the Oriental's Sala Rim Naam. :o

Good posts and crazy posts on here.

After many years here i never knew if you had a thai wife or gf she is a pro,you live and learn i suppose.A good life is good health number 1 and the rest is up to you.

YOU PEOPLE STOPPED BEING SNOBS AND NOBS.

It's not about money, it's about ones ability to live, whatever, however, wherever!

...this is the only thing I would disagree with!

Regarding some other posts one question comes up:

"Does "wealth", money and spending power make arrogant and ignorant towards "have not's"?

Some posters just give me that impression!

Remember, the winds of change may blow one day in a direction which is less fortunate and then better be prepared!

Nothing is forever!

:D:D:D

I have nothing against street food, but, in all truth, would be much happier dropping the 3000 baht at the Oriental's Sala Rim Naam. :o

I hear you UG.

I tried eating 'local' when I first came to Thailand so I could fit in. But I decided that I would rather eat meat than gristle, I would rather eat the body of the prawn than the head, I would rather eat the chicken meat than the chicken foot, I would rather eat tender steak than shoe leather etc etc...

Good luck to the bloke whom the OP quoted and the subsequent confirmations, but I would rather eat KFC than some of the mystery picks you find at a lot of street vendors.

"Does "wealth", money and spending power make arrogant and ignorant towards "have not's"?

In some cases, I think it does.

True wealth isn't measured by the size of your bank account. Health, comfort and happiness and having just enough to maintain them to a level that makes you feel good is more than enough.

The person quoted in the OP is wrong about one thing, he will never be Thai, he will always be a farang, however, he is doing a far better job of fitting in than some of the wrecks I see walking around here, plus he probably gets 'laughed with' not 'laughed at' by the locals.

Different stroke eh.

A lot of expats like my wonderful self believe in "having their cake (marmite, Branstons, beans, etc) and eating it". Which is not exactly adverse to, or unlike the Thai psyche.

The guy quoted in the OP's post seems to have a thing about Starbucks, which makes me think he protests too much. Alienation from one's own culture is probably making him miserable, despite his statements to the contrary...

Nevermind, I'm sure the next hike in Work Permit fees that I will pay will be enough to repatriate Mr Troppo to his country of origin.

Edited by kmart

At first glance you think he is describing an ideal existence - but all he is doing is pointing out how he can afford "luxuries" here that he couldn't in Europe (internet / cable / two bed apartment / eat out every day, seafood etc). So for him it all comes down to money like any of us.

BUT....this show what he really thinks of Thailand:

Please dont get me wrong! I try to live thai style as much as possible as of course im living in the kingdom of thailand so i should do. I eat thai food all day every day, and i have done for the last 5 years even in the UK where i lived before. I prefer thai life otherwise i wouldnt be here!!

However the point to my post is i am FARANG not thai! I will never be thai! Even if i live here for the next 40 years, speak thai fluently and obtain a thai passport i will never be a thai!! unlike some farang think they are!

I was just wondering if any of you had any funny stories where you knew farang who thought they were thai!

Keep the posts coming!!

คนปัญญาอ่อน

RakJungTorlae, You seem to be one of those farangs im talking about, Oh sorry i mean thais!!

Please dont get me wrong! I try to live thai style as much as possible as of course im living in the kingdom of thailand so i should do.

Why?

That is where I messed up when I first came to Thailand.

I tried to live Thai style when I am not Thai, why did I try to live Thai style? because I thought that is what I was supposed to do. What I eventually found out was that all I had to do was respect the people around me and live my style.

Why would you (not you specifically but anyone in general) try to live Thai style?

Why not live your own style in Thailand?

Please dont get me wrong! I try to live thai style as much as possible as of course im living in the kingdom of thailand so i should do.

Why?

That is where I messed up when I first came to Thailand.

I tried to live Thai style when I am not Thai, why did I try to live Thai style? because I thought that is what I was supposed to do. What I eventually found out was that all I had to do was respect the people around me and live my style.

Why would you (not you specifically but anyone in general) try to live Thai style?

Why not live your own style in Thailand?

Ok maybe i said that wrong, I try to adjust to the customs as much as i can and show respect, many things us farangs can insult thai people! but i eat thai food because i prefer it!

QUOTE (tuky @ 2008-07-10 02:42:32)

QUOTE (tomuk76 @ 2008-07-10 09:36:22)

Why?

Exactly, when was the last time you saw Thais in your home country (immigrants not their kids) abandoning Thai culture, food, customs etc, and taking up those of your home country? They don't, why should we? They set up their own restaurants, ghettos even, temples, festivals, community groups etc etc H*ll, they can even starft buying up land. We call it multiculturalism, mainstreaming....