Good Financial Software

Sabum

Saw another thread on calendar software that reminded me I am looking for alternatives to ms money. I have ms money... its ok but is a little complicated, is there anything else that others prefer? For use with a small business or personal finances? Ideally it would sync up with a mobile device, but isn't that important.

I was just starting to play around with GnuCash yesterday but I can't really suggest it or reject based on the 20 minutes of playing around I did. I was just curious what was available in the open source world for financial software. I just thought you might like to know it's available.

GnuCash (Portable version here)

Guest Reimar

It's depend you need the software for private use or for Business.

For private a simple Accounting Software is good enough.

For Business I would suggest an ERP system

ERP5 is a good Open Source System. You can download the LiveCD (running on Linux from CD) from HERE.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
So compared to ms money are these better? Or is ms money actually pretty good and Im just being picky?

It's really depend you need the software for to do what! You have to compare your requirement whit what the program can do.

ERP5 is for SME Business while the Prog Veazer talked about, Compiere is for big companies.

The best way is just to try and here Open Source Software is the first way to go.

The Advantage of ERP5 is that you can download a bootable and working CD!

Cheers.

I have used Quickbooks for a long time. I had the business books for a liquor store I owned in the States on it and found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. I would highly recommend it.

Be sure you buy a full legal copy and not one of the knockoffs from Tucom. The software for QuickBooks from Tucom will only work for 30 days.

If you only need something very simple, you can download a template from Microsoft which will work with excell. I currently use it since the Tucom Software screwed my Quickbooks.

Edited by rmicheald

I have been using Microsoft Money 2000 since it came free with a new computer. I find it does everything I want and since I am now retired I have disabled many of the functions. It has always done more than I needed. I see absolutely no reason to update the program.

GnuCash looked good up to the point of importing file where it mentioned all must be in same currency. That is a killer for most of us. If you have no files and just starting out it might well be a good choice however.

GnuCash looked good up to the point of importing file where it mentioned all must be in same currency. That is a killer for most of us. If you have no files and just starting out it might well be a good choice however.

Is that only in regard to import? (Which would still be a major bummer) Multiple currencies are mentioned on the feature list.

You might check their forums and see if there's a workaround.

Just the import I believe - I too had noted it mentioned multi currency so believe it will be OK if set up from scratch.

During the import they mention that this limitation is "soon to be resolved" so they obviously know it is a problem area.

I have used Quicken and MSMoney (both the same type program) and have always preferred MSMoney. And I had started with Quicken so had to learn Money. In the US they both sell at extreme discount when new version is offered each year so not much reason to look for free alternatives.