Payment In The End Of A Month Or In The Beginning Of Next Month?

When does companies usually pay the salary, in the end of a month or the beginning of the month after that?

If i start 29th of July, when can i expect to get my first payment? Is it common that companies pay in the end of August or in the beginning of September here in thailand?

If lets say around 25th of August, do i get a full month payment? How do they know i am gonna work for the rest of that month?

Someone have any knowledge about this?

It really does vary company to company, and their HR policy should cover this. Some general observations are:

- most companies tend to pay salaries normally in the second half of the month, and it's rare for companies to pay in the first half.

- companies will usually have cut-off dates for joiners and making their salary payments.

For your sepcific questions:

1) starting on 29 July, you could get paid at end of July, you could get paid sometime in August. Anyone trying to pay you in September is taking the p***s.

2) If you are paid say 25th of the month, as you point out in a normal month you'll have been on payroll for 25 days, and not yet worked 5-6 days. You should still get paid for the full month, but it will be written into your contract that if you left you would be obliged to pay them back for the days paid not worked. Any under/overpayment is taken into account on leaving. They will take into account things like days not worked as you mention, as well as holidays not yet taken etc. :o

All the above applies to salaried workers. Best to get a copy of the employee handbook/ policy or whatever they call it from HR... It's a good idea to read this anyway before signing a contract... :D

Cant speak for all companies, but we pay on the last day of the calender month for the month just worked.

So if you start on 25th, you'd get paid on 31st, but only for a few days work.

Never heard about that where i come from, but it would be interesting to hear if this is common practice around here, to me it sounds like a logic thing to do, but yeah, never heard about it before.

2) If you are paid say 25th of the month, as you point out in a normal month you'll have been on payroll for 25 days, and not yet worked 5-6 days. You should still get paid for the full month, but it will be written into your contract that if you left you would be obliged to pay them back for the days paid not worked. Any under/overpayment is taken into account on leaving. They will take into account things like days not worked as you mention, as well as holidays not yet taken etc. :o

yeah, i figured this is the most common thing at least in Europe, when looking back at my employments, i have usually been payed around the 25th, but to be honest, i have never thought about how they have counted my salary...

If you are in doubt when Thais get paid, just watch the ATM machines. I do my best to avoid going to the ATM the first few days of the month.

So, are you suggesting that most thais are getting paid in the beginning of a month?

If you are in doubt when Thais get paid, just watch the ATM machines. I do my best to avoid going to the ATM the first few days of the month.

So, are you suggesting that most thais are getting paid in the beginning of a month?

For SURE. :o

Getting paid on last day of the month, as Bendix does, is probably most common here... :D

GaryA's observation is quite correct: That's also the day the traffic is worst, as are the shops/ bars/ restaurants/ massage parlours etc you name it. Particularly if it falls on a Friday... :D

The reasoning is slightly different though than he suggests... Even most Thais can't blow their salary in a single day, so the spending spree spills over into first week of the following month...It's still normally end of month for pay rather than start...but just takes a few days for them to spend their month's salary :D

Getting paid on last day of the month, as Bendix does, is probably most common here... :D

GaryA's observation is quite correct: That's also the day the traffic is worst, as are the shops/ bars/ restaurants/ massage parlours etc you name it. Particularly if it falls on a Friday... :D

The reasoning is slightly different though than he suggests... Even most Thais can't blow their salary in a single day, so the spending spree spills over into first week of the following month...It's still normally end of month for pay rather than start...but just takes a few days for them to spend their month's salary :D

Well, i know quite a few westerners who also likes to spend the whole salary in the beginning of the month, my sister is one example, hehe :D

Well, i know quite a few westerners who also likes to spend the whole salary in the beginning of the month, my sister is one example, hehe :o

Yes happens everywhere... and takes all sorts... :D

I'd say it's more noticeable in Thailand though, and there seem to be more people proportionately do it, though that would be difficult to prove. A few moe observations though:

- Traffic in BKK is terrible, so more noticeable bad vs good...

- Thai people on average do seem better at living in the moment than westerners who dwell sometimes too much on the past/future... :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS