Should Ex-pats Be So Critical Of Thailand

garro

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You either believe freedom of expression is a good thing or you do not.

Making a list of people through history who have believed in freedom of expression and a second list of those who have not is instructive.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly think the reason I don't have any expat friends is because the ones I have had in the past have embarrassed me and publically humiliated me in front of Thai people by criticizing everything quite loudly and treating the general population like servants. The good news is none of them belong to this forum nor do they qualify for visas so they are probably no longer in the country.

If I truly felt the same way as people who bash Thailand seem to feel I would very simply go home there is nothing wrong with my country (well you know what I mean) and I'm not hiding from anyone or anything. Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that people that whine and complain about Thailand do it because they can't return home for some devious reason and they want to shape Thailand into their version of home. I also have to look at the people doing the complaining and find most of them in the pub not in gainful employment or in friendships with educated Thai people. But hey, that's just what I think, opinion is not necessarily fact or truth.

As far as im concerned its a 100 per cent spot on buddy, well put,. :o

my vote is no as it's none of our business (although i admit having critical thoughts quite often).

That's where I disagree. I think the human rights violations of others such as Burmese, ethnic minorities, and foreigners under the law is everyone's business.

guests, and that's what we all are, should refrain from criticizing their host. exceptions only if/when treated against prevailing law. criticism such as "the disgusting habit of Thais picking their noses" and "this country is one sh*t country" (Thaivisa is loaded with this sort of criticism) show that those who criticize do not possess a minimum of respect for other habits, cultures, etc. :o

have you ever heard a Thai saying "dirty foreigners! until they were introduced to a bum gun in my country they used to spread the sh*t with paper evenly across their butts."

Edited by Naam

If it was run properly i doubt that most of us would be here to be honest :o

Look around you and ask yourself if that would be an altogether bad thing or not?!

i will not disclose my answer :D

I voted no but i also would like to vote yes, purely for the English. I think because they are all happy to complain about the state of the UK, (in all aspects), they should be allowed to do the same elsewhere. For those other nationalities that believe their country is the best in the world it's a different matter. If you can't see the huge problems in your own country, (and every country has them), then you should keep your mouth shut about the place you CHOSE to live.

Nidge

My country is without question the best in the world, anybody going there and voicing criticism should be deported immediately by air being dumped without parachute over the dump they call home.

I on the other hand, coming from the best country in the world, emanating from the purest DNA, blond, blue eyed, strong, tall and intelligent, is allowed to criticize anybody and anywhere not living up to my standards.

Ahhh my God, its great to be superior :o:D

Got it Nigde??

Yes, within reason. We should not express excessively critical opinions of Thailand or the Thai people, of course. But I saw no bin at the airport to deposit my common sense, critical judgment, or public opinion.

Some conditions in Thailand are so absurd, pathetic, or deplorable that remaining silent might be criminal negligence. Politics and education surely fall into those categories. To pretend that the neighbor kids are being educated is insane. Likewise, that those fools in Parliament are honest or competent to guide this nation as it deserves.

We can respect the monarchy and Buddhism, and still have lots of things to reasonably critique. Unless there is a law against freedom of expression for farang.

Will it do any good to criticize our host country? Perhaps, and it does less harm than pretending that Thailand is fully clothed. Besides, our hosts are not that dumb, and they probably agree with some of our more reasonable criticism.

And for those who voted "no" will you now remain silent about all the other countries, as well?

Yes, within reason. We should not express excessively critical opinions of Thailand or the Thai people, of course. But I saw no bin at the airport to deposit my common sense, critical judgment, or public opinion.

Some conditions in Thailand are so absurd, pathetic, or deplorable that remaining silent might be criminal negligence. Politics and education surely fall into those categories. To pretend that the neighbor kids are being educated is insane. Likewise, that those fools in Parliament are honest or competent to guide this nation as it deserves.

We can respect the monarchy and Buddhism, and still have lots of things to reasonably critique. Unless there is a law against freedom of expression for farang.

Will it do any good to criticize our host country? Perhaps, and it does less harm than pretending that Thailand is fully clothed. Besides, our hosts are not that dumb, and they probably agree with some of our more reasonable criticism.

And for those who voted "no" will you now remain silent about all the other countries, as well?

That's a good good well balanced piece Blondie.

A+

Some conditions in Thailand are so absurd, pathetic, or deplorable that remaining silent might be criminal negligence.

Yes, excellent post. But then again, I didn't go to Thailand to be a tourist or to find a mate, so perhaps I have a completely different perspective.

*added: different from other perspectives besides the one expressed in Blondie's post.

Edited by kat

I was patient for a good 15 minutes until, to the awe of those around me, I got out of the car to politley remind this lady that my wife and I have to work and my daughter go to school, she knew that I was waiting all the time. She moved the car.

I was not buying into this Poo-Yai crap.

Obviously you do buy into it or you would have asked her to move her car 15 minutes earlier like you would have done if it was another Farang. :o

Agree

First, we don't run their country and we never will. They know that, everybody knows that. The people who do run the place couldn't give a toss what a bunch of aliens think. They are happy to let us have our little rants here knowing that they got our respective numbers and they can pull the pin anytime they like. How many people here really think what is said on this site will sway the power brokers one way or the other? In your dreams. Posters may, just may, have some influence on the alien comunity here and the odd potential traveller considering a trip here. I doubt the Phu Yai here in Thailand are even aware of or care less about this site. They run the show what we say here is basically meaningless to them and almost every other Thai in the joint.

I was patient for a good 15 minutes until, to the awe of those around me, I got out of the car to politley remind this lady that my wife and I have to work and my daughter go to school, she knew that I was waiting all the time. She moved the car.

I was not buying into this Poo-Yai crap.

Obviously you do buy into it or you would have asked her to move her car 15 minutes earlier like you would have done if it was another Farang. :o

That's a fair point I S'pose, although we could at least say that I did eventually 'have a word' whereas a Thai would likely sit there for the duration until this woman felt it was time that we where worthy of her attention.

we are not guests "in all the other countries" :o

You are right, and I am not disagreeing. We are not just guests here, either. I just figured that if we are going to be so polite to our Thai neighbors, we could also be polite to our American, German, UK, Australian, etc., neighbors as well. Yet some farang who would wai a phone booth will freely condemn other countries.

we are not guests "in all the other countries" :o

You are right, and I am not disagreeing. We are not just guests here, either. I just figured that if we are going to be so polite to our Thai neighbors, we could also be polite to our American, German, UK, Australian, etc., neighbors as well. Yet some farang who would wai a phone booth will freely condemn other countries.

here, here PB.

Some interesting posts. I am amazed that some people could see things so differently - maybe I shouldn't be. As my old grandmother would say if everybody kept their own front garden clean the world would be a more beautiful place - problem is most people are more interested in what's happening in other people's front gardens. I try and accept the world as I find it as this seriously reduces my level of frustration with life. I try and avoid being critical of Thailand because it has been good to me and I would feel ungrateful doing so. I don't believe that making others share my opinions is vital work. I am no expert on Thai law, economics, or politics so what good would my view be anyway.

Now some people may see not being critical as meaning that person must have had a frontal lobotomy, but I don't think that you need to be very intelligent to voice criticisms.

Edited by garro

You either believe freedom of expression is a good thing or you do not.

Making a list of people through history who have believed in freedom of expression and a second list of those who have not is instructive.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I tried to make a list and I quickly got stumped.

Is freedom of expressions such a great thing?

I suppose it would mean the end of mental instituitions, and would quickly empty the prisons.

I am struggling to think of one country where freedon of experssion is total.

If you change LOS to be just like Australia, US or UK i"m out of here. I think you have to accept the good with the bad. Your ranting and raving about what a bunch of idiots the Thais's are is not going to accomplish anything but alienate the Thai's against all foreign people. It is hard to like someone that is calling you names constantly.

I find a lot more good things about LOS than bad. So if we made all the changes everyone on TV wants it probably would not be a very appealing place to live. Keep in mind that the taxes or lack of them are one of the attractions to many. Start wanting and getting better everything and watch what happens to the tax structure.

Besides all the bitching gets tiresome. I voted no.

Edited by BEENTHEREDONETHAT