Uk To Prosecute Sex Tourists Who Abuse Children Overseas

GuestHouse

So, a young individual {over 16} goes to Spain, or Sweden, members of the EU, or even New York, has sex with a 15 year old legally, returns to the UK and can be prosecuted.

Regards

A_Traveller,

Yours is a fair point, but you're talking the exception rather than the rule... I've always thought the law should treat kids in relationships with other kids a bit differently and bear in mind a 16 yr old in a normal relationship with a 15 yr old is different. Even perhaps 18yr vs 15 where they may have started normal dating while both minors is a bit debateable...There's a bit of a grey area in my book for normal relationships between consenting kids around the 16 legal age, and this should be dealt with by common sense.. :o

But what we're talking here is quite different:

- They are not normal relationships... Or good forbid they should ever start being perceived as normal...

- Adults who started things as adults with kids... Not acceptable

- Abuse - Not acceptable regardless of age/gender/whatever and particularly more so when children are involved

So it's goodto see the UK passing these sort of laws, and good that the UK is cracking down further on child sex abuse. :D

This law doesn't really affect Thailand at all. The age of consent in The UK is 16 whether your mother likes it or not. In Thailand, if you are between the ages of 15-18 the girl's mother does have a say in the matter and if she could sue/file charges if the guy is over 18. There are other legalities in Thailand on the side of the girl (parents) which are not considered by UK law if she is between 15-18 like 'taking the child away (taking her on holiday without parent's permission) or giving her money/gift (this is considered under-age prostitution in Thailand). That said therefore, females under the age of 18 in Thailand have more legal power than in The UK. The only difference this law can make is if the girl is 15.

So, how about The US follows suit, thus if any of their youngsters over 18 come to The UK and have it off with a Brit girl who is 17, they also be imprisoned on arrest when they get back home.

At 16 The UK has an average AoC, there aren't too many countries in the world these days with one less than that. The problem is more to do with lack of local law enforcement not The UK threatening this or that.

Nothing to get too excited about.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

This law doesn't really affect Thailand at all. The age of consent in The UK is 16 whether your mother likes it or not. In Thailand, if you are between the ages of 15-18 the girl's mother does have a say in the matter and if she could sue/file charges if the guy is over 18. There are other legalities in Thailand on the side of the girl (parents) which are not considered by UK law if she is between 15-18 like 'taking the child away (taking her on holiday without parent's permission) or giving her money/gift (this is considered under-age prostitution in Thailand). That said therefore, females under the age of 18 in Thailand have more legal power than in The UK. The only difference this law can make is if the girl is 15.

So, how about The US follows suit, thus if any of their youngsters over 18 come to The UK and have it off with a Brit girl who is 17, they also be imprisoned on arrest when they get back home.

At 16 The UK has an average AoC, there aren't too many countries in the world these days with one less than that. The problem is more to do with lack of local law enforcement not The UK threatening this or that.

The US has had this law in place for many years already.

The U.S., as stated correctly above, has had the law for several years now and has NOT used the law once, AFAIK, to prosecute people in some of the referenced scenarios, eg. a 16-year old teen boy and a 15-year old teen girl. Every one of their prosecutions have involved perpetrators who fall into the more traditional sense of the word, pedophile, eg. a 62 year old man and an 8 year old boy or girl.

Edited by sriracha john

Current laws provide powers to prosecute for sex offences abroad only when they are illegal in that country. It is essential that these new measures are accompanied by more resources to convict, manage and monitor offenders who go overseas to abuse children

Zoe Hilton, NSPCC

Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said: "We already have some of the toughest sex offences legislation in the world but we are determined to do everything we can to protect the most vulnerable, at home and abroad.

I wonder how much of an impact this new law will Have, when they already have the capacity to prosecute now, as long as it illegal in country of origin?

How many prosecutions have been undertaken under its present format?

Moss

I dont agree with this at all, unpleasant as it is and I dont condone it but where will it end, how about smoking dope in Amsterdam or Jamaica, how about speeding in your car in other countries, is it saying if you are English you have to abide by UK law at all times in any country? and what happens if your'e in a country that does not allow gay sex but your own country does, when do local laws over rule UK laws. How long before hey spread this to other things?

Dont misunderstand me sex with children is wrong.

Edited by lardy

Not sure how this changes the pedo cases per say. As we all know interpol already actively pursues pedos - just look at the swirly photo Canadian lad that was caught. Anyways I have no problem with it per say, but certainly see the ability to abuse it.

So one has to be both mindful of English and country you happen to be at all times or you could be prosecuted.

Already in place in the United State, and has already been used in some high-profile cases in LOS. So, actually, it's great that the UK has decided to do it as well. Secondly, your scenario with the UK Brit and 18-year-old American is a scarecrow, because it has not even been done under U.S. law in the U.S.. It has gotten a little crazy if the girl is under 15-years-old though, and the guy is 18. There was a horrible case in a Georgia court of a young 17-year-old male having consensual oral sex with a 13-year-old, but the decision was racially motivated and is being challenged. The cases where I've seen the U.S. law in Asia have been clear-cut cases of grown men having sex with children 13 and under.

Not sure how this changes the pedo cases per say. As we all know interpol already actively pursues pedos - just look at the swirly photo Canadian lad that was caught. Anyways I have no problem with it per say, but certainly see the ability to abuse it.

So one has to be both mindful of English and country you happen to be at all times or you could be prosecuted.

Mr. Swirly, Christopher Neil, is a Canadian citizen. Canada, which is yet another country that has had this same law for awhile, was fully prepared to prosecute him in Canada and that was only stopped when Thailand decided to prosecute him first. If he is found guilty here and sentenced, once his term is up, he is still facing prosecution back in Canada for other sex crimes not prosecuted by the Thai authorities.

The US has had this law in place for many years already.

It was George W Bush who signed it into law in his first term. What do you know, he can actually do something that made sense.... That's (1) for George Bushy.

I dont agree with this at all, unpleasant as it is and I dont condone it but where will it end, how about smoking dope in Amsterdam or Jamaica, how about speeding in your car in other countries, is it saying if you are English you have to abide by UK law at all times in any country? and what happens if your'e in a country that does not allow gay sex but your own country does, when do local laws over rule UK laws. How long before hey spread this to other things?

Dont misunderstand me sex with children is wrong.

I knew that the PC brigade would show it's head.

First of this is a bill that is aimed at supressing one of the ugliest crimes possible. This shoud be embraced for obvious reasons.

I think that you are reading between the lines too much here. This law, if passed is aimed directly towards Pedo's, not other things considered a crime in the UK (Dope or whatever).

Neither is it aimed towards those who have sex at a young age. If it is a couple or even just friends of the same age group then youngsters will be curious and want to experiment, I am not condoning it but it's just part of growing up.

If the age of consent rule was strictly applied in the UK, or any other country for that matter, then our prisons/detention centres would be full of young offenders aged 14-18 ish. Yet that has not happened, Why?...... common sense! For me the age of consent is more of a guideline then a rule, and definately something designed to prevent easilly impressionable youngsters from being taken advantage of by the freaks that every society has.

And I don't think that this will spread to other things, what one country may consider a crime in comparison to another countries thoughts are mostly a difference in opinion. And should it be applied to all UK laws whilst UK individuals are abroad then there while be an F'in outrage (Dope in Amsterdam: poor example my firend). But who can oppose such a law as this???? Do these Pedo's have a right to go to a more lax country to do their evil deads??????

The Sun and the Mirror (News papers) often get slammed in the UK, but I remember well that The Sun (I think) published an edition showing both names and photo's of known sex offenders, more than one was working at a school and at least one admitted that he would offend again.

Now the PC crew went nuts on this, blabbering on about these offenders rights ect....blah blah. Yet in whole the national opinion was that even though these people had "Done their time" and deserved their rights, it was more important that children in general had the right not to be sexually abused by these people.

If you want to get all PC then that's up to you, but at least think about it first.

Edited by globalj

I dont see how theyd manage to succesfully prosecute someone who committed a crime overseas as this would mean flying however many witness's in the case to the UK for what would be lengthy trials. Maybe this is another way the thieves of Nu labour plan to tax us. Another vote grabbing pointless law by the corrupt fools who have ran this country into the ground.

Im a sex tourist as ive had sex with ladies of the night (aged 18+) in Thailand, i dont see why the BBC can put me in the same boat as a paedophile as they have in this article. Maybe i will sue them.

Im a sex tourist as ive had sex with ladies of the night (aged 18+) in Thailand, i dont see why the BBC can put me in the same boat as a paedophile as they have in this article. Maybe i will sue them.

AGAIN........

The law is directed at Pedo's. The BBC are simply reporting on a government policy and the only person putting you in the same boat as the Pedo's is yourself.

I suspect that the majority of TV members have had sex with "Ladies of the night" yet i don't see them jumping in to neither oppose the policy nor defend themsleves. No doubt because they don't have a guilty conscience.