Just Missing The Monetary Conditions

I am an old git of 66 and British. Retired schoolmaster.

A brief history: I have been in Thailand for a trifle longer than 3 years. The first two years were on the Retirement non-O. I was able to satisfy the monetary requirements. This last year has been on a non-O multiple entry (issued in London when I visited UK). The visa has expired and my TM card is stamped until 7th December.

I have booked a trip to Malaysia on this date to "hopefully" aquire another Non-O Multiple!!

The reason for not requesting another Retirement Visa is that my pension falls short of the requisit 800 000 Baht. It actually amounts to a little over 760 000 Baht. Obviously a shortfall of about 40 000 Baht.

:o My question is this: Has anybody been in this situation and managed to satisfy the immigration officer(s) despite being just a tad under??[/b]

Over the past two years I have been living with a Thai lady and I have been supporting her and her daughte. We have a house in Surin. I have taught (for free) in a Thai School in Nakhon Sawon for 6 months. I taught IB final years in Maths and Physics at an International School in Rayong for 1 term because they nobody to teach to this level. I say all this in the hope that somebody just might know whether or not this kind of stuff would help; the immigration officer may say, "what a good chap" and let things pass??

What do you think?

Remember it is a pension of 65000 per month or a cash sum of

800K,or "a combination of the two".

Can you make up the balance with a cash sum, borrowed for a few days

if necessary?

Go and see the immigtaion officer and see what he thinks.

As this is not the first application, and you are almost there he may be able to help. Take your lady friend with you.

I would not mention the "work", albeit unpaid, it is illegal without a work permit.

Astral is right about the work. Shame really that altruistic or a humanistic gesture on yours or others part, can be construed by a stickler of an Imm. guy, as the opposite. It's also shameful that volunteer teaching is so difficult to get a work permit for. I'm not aware of anyone obtaining one....is there anyone out there that has? It's one of the reasons I, myself, stopped doing it. Pitiful that Imm. will stop something beneficial, and free, to Thailand.

Marriage should always be convenient, in one way or another!!

Wow, that explains why a lot of farang men marry Thai women! I am not naive, I know a lot of people marry for "convenience", may it be for sex, money, power, career advancement or in this case, just to stay in the country.

I just cant believe that some people take marriage so lightly. :o.what happened to the good ole days?

Wow, that explains why a lot of farang men marry Thai women! I am not naive, I know a lot of people marry for "convenience", may it be for sex, money, power, career advancement or in this case, just to stay in the country.

I just cant believe that some people take marriage so lightly. :o.what happened to the good ole days?

Nope, marriage I'm not prepared to do; never been married in my life and not about to start now!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.

By the way, is there any truth in the rumour that "If I were to adopt my girlfriend's little girl then would this reduce the monetary requirements for a Non-O"?

Nope, marriage I'm not prepared to do; never been married in my life and not about to start now!!

By the way, is there any truth in the rumour that "If I were to adopt my girlfriend's little girl then would this reduce the monetary requirements for a Non-O"?

There is a provision for support of a child but it seems to be viewed with intense suspicion these days due to frequent misuse in the past so am not sure adopted child would be favorably considered. This is the quote from Division 3 immigration web site "- In most cases, the request will not be approved if the alien parents sponsor an dopted child who is a Thai citizen".

I believe if you put a little money into a bank account you should be go for a long stay retirement extension and that this would be the best course for you. You do not have to earn/spend a full 800k each year.

That is if you can not reconsider the marriage idea (perhaps for her?). :o

Once a formal adoption is approved, you would qualify based on caring for a Thai child. Will the natural father agree to legal adoption ?

Once a formal adoption is approved, you would qualify based on caring for a Thai child. Will the natural father agree to legal adoption ?

As Lop points out, legal adoption is by no means a guaranteed solution to your problem, and it'd take time. The adoption process has been much abused over the years. Surely somone will loan you $1000 US to get you past the line.

The reason for not requesting another Retirement Visa is that my pension falls short of the requisit 800 000 Baht. It actually amounts to a little over 760 000 Baht. Obviously a shortfall of about 40 000 Baht.

:o My question is this: Has anybody been in this situation and managed to satisfy the immigration officer(s) despite being just a tad under??[/b]

Should be easy for you.

1. Have some money, (at least the amount of your shortfall (40,000)) sent, from out of Thailand, into your Thailand bank account. Say, 100,000 Baht.

2. With proof of your income, (760,000) plus the 100,000 you have in your thai bank account, you have the required 800,000 combination, --income plus bank account.