Teacher Training On Phuket

A friend of mine visited Thailand recently and was so taken with it she would like to enrol at an English Language school here on Phuket to gain a CELTA or TESOL certificate.

Can anyone recommend something here on Phuket? Are the ECC any good? And what would be chances of my friend being able to gain employment on the island once qualifed? Thankyou.

A friend of mine visited Thailand recently and was so taken with it she would like to enrol at an English Language school here on Phuket to gain a CELTA or TESOL certificate.

Can anyone recommend something here on Phuket? Are the ECC any good? And what would be chances of my friend being able to gain employment on the island once qualifed? Thankyou.

To be blunt unless they have a desire to teach here like nothing else they've ever done it's becoming a nightmare job and is getting worse by the term. More hoops are being added as quickly as they can be thought up and unless she has a degree now it's pretty impossible and most of the jobs are very low paid.

Couple that with the fact Phuket's inflation has been running at about 15% per year for the last two+ and jobs other than language school bits and bobs are getting harder for those with no experience.

If she must still entertain it, I know a chap at TTT language school in Chalong (near the roundabout) used to run courses who was very good other than that yeh ECC will be ok. It's the 1st 2-3 years grounding after the course where it's learnt not the 4-6 weeks on the course. It just points you in the right direction.

If you look through the comments in the teacher section it won't take you long to get a gist for the job! :o

Mak

Depends on many things.

CELTA is recognised worldwide, so if your friend is looking for an extra qualification that is so recognised, then CELTA is a good start.

I've heard good things about the ECC course.

Arent they the only CELTA provider in Phuket? (not sure, but i think so)

Will it help your friend's employment chances? Well it certainly won't hinder them and that's a fact. There are many dubious TEFL course providers but i understand that the CELTA is in a different league altogether.

When recruiting, (from my point of view), experience counts for a lot, experience plus CELTA counts a bit more, no experience but just a CELTA will help, no experience and just a TEFL may get an interview, no experience and no certificates ? Nah. Not in Phuket anyway.