Electronics

shiva

I'm living in maui and about to make a move to Thailand for an indefinite period of time.. I'd love to know from people in the know, would it behoove me to reup such things as stereo, cell phones, dvd player, etc.,rather than bring my 110 volt equipment and get converters for it? I'm not saavy with electronics and don't want any head aches..If I can't just turn something on..forget it!

I'm living in maui and about to make a move to Thailand  for an indefinite period of time.. I'd love to know from people in the know, would it behoove me to reup such things as stereo, cell phones, dvd player, etc.,rather than bring my 110 volt equipment and get converters for it? I'm not saavy with electronics and don't want any head aches..If I can't just turn something on..forget it!

One of your key statements is "I'm not saavy with electronics....if I can't just turn something on..forget it!". So, yes you could go out and buy "step down" transformers and accomplish the task but the items you are talking about are not all that expensive in Thailand. I think better, safer, and easier to just buy new when you get here.

That said. You can/should check the specific items you have in mind to bring. Some things are "switchable" and can be made to work with 110 or 220 and some are "auto switching" and some have a "manual" switch. Did I confuse you here? Then back to "square one", buy in Thailand.

Good luck to you.

I'm living in maui and about to make a move to Thailand  for an indefinite period of time.. I'd love to know from people in the know, would it behoove me to reup such things as stereo, cell phones, dvd player, etc.,rather than bring my 110 volt equipment and get converters for it? I'm not saavy with electronics and don't want any head aches..If I can't just turn something on..forget it!

One of your key statements is "I'm not saavy with electronics....if I can't just turn something on..forget it!". So, yes you could go out and buy "step down" transformers and accomplish the task but the items you are talking about are not all that expensive in Thailand. I think better, safer, and easier to just buy new when you get here.

That said. You can/should check the specific items you have in mind to bring. Some things are "switchable" and can be made to work with 110 or 220 and some are "auto switching" and some have a "manual" switch. Did I confuse you here? Then back to "square one", buy in Thailand.

Good luck to you.

Unfortunately very few things other than high ticket items in the US market have a transformer rated for 50Hz or are switchable for voltage. The US market is huge and is cost driven so they can afford to make a special item where an extra 5 cents it not going to be put into it.

Unfortunately very few things other than high ticket items in the US market have a transformer rated for 50Hz or are switchable for voltage. The US market is huge and is cost driven so they can afford to make a special item where an extra 5 cents it not going to be put into it.

Of course lopburi3 is correct. The "switchable" I was thinking about as an example is a laptop with an "autoswitching" charger. The 60 versus 50 Hz may or may not be significant, depending on the appliance. Of course you can also "modify" your transformer to conform to the 60 Hz if needed, but .....why am I even going there?

Again good luck.

Some equipment simply won't work here, TV and video.

The US uses a different standard.

Your DVD player will work but may not play new videos that you buy here.

You need a machine that will play "all region" dvds.

Your phone is probably CDMA and we mainly use GSM over here.

CDMA is small beer with limited coverage.

As others have said, buy new ones when you get here.

Only thing worth bringing would be appliances you just cannot get here. I want to get an ice cream machine (the kind where the bowl is frozen) and I have never seen that here (only the kind packed with ice).

Customs hits you with a big duty on motorized appliances (some list of theirs, if it has a motor it has a big duty) so, given the cost of things here it just wouldn't be worth it to bring any common stuff over.

Thanks..I'll just sell everything off..The only thing I'll miss is the bose wave radio, but don't need hassles..

Aloha

Gee, not sure here, but if that Bose wave radio you have is the small one I'm thinking about, find a place for it in your luggage and buy a step down transformer for it when you get to Thailand. Bose is a good.

Thanks..I'll just sell everything off..The only thing I'll miss is the bose wave radio, but don't need hassles..

Aloha

Digital tuning FM radios do not work well in Thailand as the stations are not on the exact frequencies used in the US and about half will be distorted (although Bose may have a turning function to overcome this I would not risk it).

Even if I just use the bose for speakers and patch a cd player into auxilary, it delivers a big sound for a little unit. But, wouldn't the border tariff be sizeable?

Maybe I'll bring it?

If it is the small unit I'm thinking of, then pack it in your suitcase. I've never been checked at customs in Thailand and been thru it 50+ times. Even if they checked, it is a just a personal item. People bring laptops and God knows what other electronic stuff in without a problem. I still think even the radio would work as the tuner can be "fine tuned" to the bandwidth frequency (and no I'm not an expert on audio transmission, but Electronic Manufacturing Engineering was my occupation for 20+ years). I know Bose is got some great "sounds". Worth it to me, if that unit is the small one that easily fits in your suitcase with all your other stuff.

If you buy a house or condo maybe you could get an electrician to install a couple of extra electrical outlets and split the voltage so they are 110. I've thought about doing that at my place but don't currently have anything that requires 110. I would like a waffle maker though and haven't seen one yet in Thailand.

Overall though, I concur that buying things here is a much better idea

If you buy a house or condo maybe you could get an electrician to install a couple of extra electrical outlets and split the voltage so they are 110. I've thought about doing that at my place but don't currently have anything that requires 110. I would like a waffle maker though and haven't seen one yet in Thailand.

Unlike the USA where you get 2 110 volt wires if you have a 220 volt device, Thailand 220 volt is supplied via one 220 volt wire. You would have get a transformer and "step down" the voltage. By the way, these transformers are easy to buy here and not expensive unless you want something elaborate.

"Smokin":

I'm pretty sure I saw a waffle maker in "The Mall". :o

Even if I just use the bose for speakers and patch a cd player into auxilary, it delivers a big sound for a little unit. But, wouldn't the border tariff be sizeable?

Maybe I'll bring it?

If it is the small unit I'm thinking of, then pack it in your suitcase. I've never been checked at customs in Thailand and been thru it 50+ times. Even if they checked, it is a just a personal item. People bring laptops and God knows what other electronic stuff in without a problem. I still think even the radio would work as the tuner can be "fine tuned" to the bandwidth frequency (and no I'm not an expert on audio transmission, but Electronic Manufacturing Engineering was my occupation for 20+ years). I know Bose is got some great "sounds". Worth it to me, if that unit is the small one that easily fits in your suitcase with all your other stuff.

Yup..it is the small unit..I guess I'll take it then...Thanks it has a big sound for a small unit!

Unlike the USA where you get 2 110 volt wires if you have a 220 volt device, Thailand 220 volt is supplied via one 220 volt wire. You would have get a transformer and "step down" the voltage. By the way, these transformers are easy to buy here and not expensive unless you want something elaborate.

"Smokin":

I'm pretty sure I saw a waffle maker in "The Mall". :o

You can always go with a stove top waffle irn..just have to flip it over..Cheers!

..and, I assume it's cheaper than it would be here on maui?

Good assumption, I'm working on Oahu right now and I go into shock every time I buy groceries or check prices on anything service related. Gas for one day would pay for a month in Thailand, although I drive a car here and a motorbike in Thailand. Can't wait to get back home next month.

..and, I assume it's cheaper than it would be here on maui?

Good assumption, I'm working on Oahu right now and I go into shock every time I buy groceries or check prices on anything service related. Gas for one day would pay for a month in Thailand, although I drive a car here and a motorbike in Thailand. Can't wait to get back home next month.

I walked out ofthe market having spent $47.00 today, and what I got amounts to very little..In Thailand, the same amount would prob. provide enogh groceries for 2 weeks or more I suppose? I'm so looking forward tonot beinghere any more..It's nuts!