Ubuntu Pre-installed

Shah Jahan

I was looking at the Dell website the other day and they offer a machine with Ubuntu pre-installed and configured for everything.

any chance I can get that in LOS and save the Vista tax?

or maybe to ask my question another way..

I am going to get a new computer soon and rally have Zero interest in getting anything windows. I am just going to go straight to Ubuntu

So what laptop should I buy based on that? I am in CM but come to BKK often enough.

I was looking at the Dell website the other day and they offer a machine with Ubuntu pre-installed and configured for everything.

any chance I can get that in LOS and save the Vista tax?

or maybe to ask my question another way..

I am going to get a new computer soon and rally have Zero interest in getting anything windows. I am just going to go straight to Ubuntu

So what laptop should I buy based on that? I am in CM but come to BKK often enough.

The new Acer Aspire 1 is tiny and goes for around 15,000 with Linux pre-installed. My suggestion, however, would be to download Ubuntu and put it on a cheap laptop yourself. I'm no computer expert, but with help from linux.org, I managed to do it.

Pantip Plaza on Phetchaburi Road in BKK is a computer geek's wet dream! Five floors stacked high with every kind of system and software available. I have also heard there is a Pantip Plaza on the corner of Chang Klan Road and Sri Donchai Road in Chiang Mai but I haven't been there lately so I don't know for sure.

The term "caveat emptor" of course applies. Make sure you check the product thoroughly before buying.

You can get a new, used or refurbished laptop there and download ubuntu just as oldtimer stated. Ubuntu is probably the most desktop-user friendly Linux distro out there and the latest version, Hardy Heron is compatible with most systems. I have been using it for a while on my Toshiba laptop which has a notoriously Linux-unfriendly integrated Intel gfx card and sound card which it handled just fine.

Nvidia graphics cards are better supported than ATI and Intel so if possible make sure your machine has an Nvidia gfx card.

Another option would be to order something from Newegg or Tigerdirect? Quality is assured that way.