Google Earth

Tywais

The last update of Google Earth shows a gray shading in large areas and makes the map unclear. Never saw that in previous versions and have found no options to remove it. Below is an example in Chiangmai. Anyone else have the same and any fixes? Thanks.

post-566-1216015651_thumb.jpg

The last update of Google Earth shows a gray shading in large areas and makes the map unclear. Never saw that in previous versions and have found no options to remove it. Below is an example in Chiangmai. Anyone else have the same and any fixes? Thanks.

It appears that Google has updated some or all of the local satellite images. One of the plates they used was taken, it appears, when the region was covered in haze / smoke. The other (clear) plate was obviously not from the same date / time period.

Edited by Rice_King

It appears that Google has updated some or all of the local satellite images. One of the plates they used was taken, it appears, when the region was covered in haze / smoke. The other (clear) plate was obviously not from the same date / time period.

Smoke/haze was the first thing I thought of also, it's just so well demarcated. Didn't think about plates though and makes sense. I was hoping that turning atmosphere off would fix it, but no luck. Too bad, was going to put it in Photoshop and draw routes to our university facility. Still can of course, just not pretty. May do some Photoshop manipulation to clean it up.

They are common throughout GE where different data sources meet. You see them between higher and lower rez and between images of similar resolution taken at different times.

Seems to be the case of a database update because the shading for that area wasn't there a few months ago with the older version. Guess will have to live with it and hope they do another update in the non-burning season. :o

have they however increased the "zoomable" area for chiangmai?? my house is out in san kampheng somewhere and cannot be views clearly with the previous update. oh well will check it out and report i guess :o

edit: just checked it. most of san kampheng except for amphur is still not visible clearly. Index Living Mall still not erected and neither are the underpasses made at San Dek or Nongpratheep.

Edited by tigerbeer