Changing A Non-o

Hi Folks...perhaps somebody on here could provide some pointers. My wife is Thai and I'm currently on a Non-immigrant O visa (have been since 2002). I've never had to leave Thailand to get an extension each year; rather I just showed the 400,000 Baht they required, got a 30 day stamp and then got another stamp for the following 11 months. When we bought our house a couple years back, the 400,000 Baht we had sitting in the bank went for the down payment. Since then, I've had my workplace taking care of the visa, and I presume the extensions are now based on my monthly income, rather than the lump sum from earlier.

An English buddy of mine with a Thai wife has a multiple entry Non-O, in which he must exit every 90 days (usually to Cambodia) and then return to Bangkok. He goes with some sort of agency which takes you there and back in a day...the cost is 2,000 Baht. According to him, there is no need to show any amount of money to the folks on Soi Suan Phlu. With this type of visa, I presume you would not have to depend on a set monthly income to extend it. Having to exit every 90 days may not be so bad since it's only a day trip and the cost isn't too high. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :o

If your workplace is taking care of yearly extensions of stay it is business not marriage based (wife absolutely has to attend when for marriage). So would be income based. Total cost is 1,900 baht per year.

Your friend evidently does not qualify for 40k per month family or a work extension of stay and has the next best option - being a multi entry non immigrant O visa. This allows only 90 day stay but you can exit and immediately return. So you have a travel expense and wasted time every three months. He must also visit a Consulate to obtain a new visa every 15 months or so and at present the only place that seems to usually provide is KL (and even there you should be able to show a bank account with something in it).