Transgender Bathroom Sign

kunjet

There have been several previous postings about transgender bathrooms in Thailand. I am wondering if anyone has seen one or has a picture of the bathroom sign.

I came across several descriptions like this: So, when classes resumed in May, the school unveiled a unisex restroom designated by a unique sign -- a human figure split in half -- part man in blue and part woman in red. Below it are the words "Transvestite Toilet."

I would love to see pics of these signs. If you have them or have found them online, please post/post a link. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
There have been several previous postings about transgender bathrooms in Thailand. I am wondering if anyone has seen one or has a picture of the bathroom sign.

I came across several descriptions like this: So, when classes resumed in May, the school unveiled a unisex restroom designated by a unique sign -- a human figure split in half -- part man in blue and part woman in red. Below it are the words "Transvestite Toilet."

I would love to see pics of these signs. If you have them or have found them online, please post/post a link. Thanks

Actually, there are several variations but I don't know why. Here are a couple more taken recently.

post-44508-1217170765_thumb.jpg

post-44508-1217170782_thumb.jpg

Crossed dicks or a circle with a man and woman symbol with a line through it like the no smoking signs.

The first one is confusing - some have dicks, others not and it could be a woman to man transexual. The other could simply mean 'No entry' (to anyone) or it could mean any animal but not humans.

Actually, there are several variations but I don't know why. Here are a couple more taken recently.

I didn't realize the first one is transgender. Don't they use that for "men" at the store Playground?

Image link.

Surely this is one area where sexuality does not apply - the case is whether you need to stand or sit?

I've been to places where out of shear practical need the ladies use the cubicals in the men's room while the men just stand, no point building 3/4 facilities when you only need two.

Image link.

Surely this is one area where sexuality does not apply - the case is whether you need to stand or sit?

I've been to places where out of shear practical need the ladies use the cubicals in the men's room while the men just stand, no point building 3/4 facilities when you only need two.

I doubt that the image in your link is for a bathroom sign in Thailand - it's far too abstract for that.

Sexuality does apply because the signs in Thailand were developed apparently because the transexuals/TVs were being bullied by males in the male toilets and the women in the female toilets objected. I think it arose in schools and colleges, rather than the general public. Considering that some schools in Thailand have up to 10% of their pupils professing a desire to be TS/TV (see BBC News website), then I guess the special toilets are a good thing. Of course, 'need' can be different things for different people and desperate physical need can override any barriers!

The transgender bathroom sign might be humorous, but it is also insignificant in Thailand. Ladyboys use the women's bathroom. Tyke, I don't know where you have heard that women object to ladyboys being in the women's bathroom, but my Thai ladyboy has never experienced a problem in her country. Now in the USA or Canada...well that's another issue.

The transgender bathroom sign might be humorous, but it is also insignificant in Thailand. Ladyboys use the women's bathroom. Tyke, I don't know where you have heard that women object to ladyboys being in the women's bathroom, but my Thai ladyboy has never experienced a problem in her country. Now in the USA or Canada...well that's another issue.

See the current BBC News website about 'Thai School's Third Toilet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7524004.stm

The girls 'felt uncomfortable', which, Ok may not be the same as 'objected to', but I've read similar accounts in the Thai media.

The girls 'felt uncomfortable', which, Ok may not be the same as 'objected to', but I've read similar accounts in the Thai media.

Well worth watching that BBC news video. I just happened to see it broadcast on BBC World News this evening - and the overwhelming message that comes across from the students and the school principal is just how ordinary and common sense the idea is for all concerned. Really refreshing after I'd been wading through the knee-jerk spoutings you can find in the current "Why Are Their (sic) So Many Ladyboys In Thailand ?" thread over in the "General" forum.......... :o

At the commercial college I taught at briefly, where students were 15 to 20 years old, the dress-wearing ladyboys and the more effeminate guys in boys' clothes used the ladies' room. It all seemed so accepted that I doubt any of the girls cared. Thai girls consider ladyboys to be Thai girls, as I understand it.

Found this photo on the net of a "pansexual" bathroom sign already in production... but couldn't find where to buy it!post-33605-1217502392_thumb.jpg

The reason you can't buy it is because it doesn't exist. They aren't being used. But you might have a graphic artist design one for you if it floats your boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Well worth watching that BBC news video. I just happened to see it broadcast on BBC World News this evening - and the overwhelming message that comes across from the students and the school principal is just how ordinary and common sense the idea is for all concerned. Really refreshing after I'd been wading through the knee-jerk spoutings you can find in the current "Why Are Their (sic) So Many Ladyboys In Thailand ?" thread over in the "General" forum.......... :o

I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwqOdVgVJD0

The boys seem effeminate, but not feminine.

Edited by kunjet

• 1 month later...

I think the sign in toptuan's post is by far the best. The ones that show half a male and half a female symbol, to me indicate a unisex toilet facility.

Or, maybe the sign in toptuan's post could show one arm reaching up to scratch its head? :o

post-33251-1224259507.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...