Art Scene In Bkk

girlx

coming from NY, i was disappointed in the apparent lack of an art scene here, as artists are my favorite people and i love gallery hopping etc. usually have to weed out the pretentious places though. anyway, i stumbled upon a great site that proves there is a scene in BKK, which makes me very happy! ArtSceneTV so i have a few places to explore now!

also, there are some decent Thai art shows on at Siam Paragon, Central World, and Emporium at the present...

coming from NY, i was disappointed in the apparent lack of an art scene here, as artists are my favorite people and i love gallery hopping etc. usually have to weed out the pretentious places though. anyway, i stumbled upon a great site that proves there is a scene in BKK, which makes me very happy! ArtSceneTV so i have a few places to explore now!

also, there are some decent Thai art shows on at Siam Paragon, Central World, and Emporium at the present...

Now come on Girlx, the BK Post lists about 50 exhibitions at different galleries (not dept stores) every Friday. And then there is BAM! (Bangkok Art Map) which shows you where they are.

The Galileo Chini show at Central Chitlom is pretty interesting. I had never heard of him before...

Yeah,

I accidentally turned up for the reception for this in my khaki shorts, grubby backpack and sandals - they were all in suits and evening gowns. They didn't serve me any free drinks or canapes. Don't like Chini anymore, he's overrated.

There s a good anthology of thai art in Siam Paraon now until July 20.

It should stay there; plenty of traffic guaranteed.

The new centre isn't even remotely (ersatz) Gehry at all.

Also BKK has a pretty vibrant art scene, finally found it, uh?

now i just need to meet a hot, single artist in his late 20's/early 30's who is unmarried, intellectual, nice but not too nice, speaks english, and is interested in farang girls, to go gallery hopping with me. ha.

p.s. don't worry- i don't seriously expect to find anyone like that on here.

Edited by girlx

There's a really nice gallery on Suk 28 called Gossip Gallery. The owner and staff speak English, and will invite you to take a look around at their stuff. They usually feature one artist at a time. Right now it's a local guy named Paramat Leung-on. Later this month (august) it will be a Chinese painter.

They also have that map you were talking about, and can point you in the direction of their sibling galleries.

• 3 weeks later...
There's the grand opening of the Bangkok Art & Culture Center @ Siam on July 27th.

has anyone been in here yet? i have been by a few time but been too intimidated by the guards out front to go inside! :o also i am not really interested in the princess's exhibition which is on now (am i allowed to say that???)... anyway it looks kinda dead from the outside. not much going on. and there was supposed to be an art market outside it on sundays but haven't seen any signs of that either!

• 1 month later...

I finally made it to the Bangkok Art & Cultural Center.... I read in the BKK Post that they were opening to the public yesterday, so I showed up to find a big sign on the door saying they were opening today instead ( :o TIT )... went in today to find it 75% empty. The current exhibition is on floors 5-9. I have to say I was not impressed. There was no cohesiveness to the show, just a bunch of random Thai artists with a couple of international ones thrown in, and I was not impressed by any of the pieces. There were artists like Thawan Duchanee, who I like a lot, but they seemed to choose the worst of his pieces. There were about 100 pieces from one Thai artist (can't remember his exact name but his initials were A.S.), none of which I can even remember they were so dull. A couple of lame video installations (though I liked the dark room with the big scary morphing dog face). And for some odd reason, there was a Basquiat and a Keith Haring mixed in in an exhibition called 'Traces of the Siamese Smile'...?!?!?

Anyway I know this is early days for them but if this is Bangkok's idea of a great art museum they have a long way to go.

now i just need to meet a hot, single artist in his late 20's/early 30's who is unmarried, intellectual, nice but not too nice, speaks english, and is interested in farang girls, to go gallery hopping with me. ha.

Sounds to me like you need to spend more time on Kho San Road, except for the intellectual type.

My personality would suit these requirements, except I am a bit of a vintage model.... :o

Anyone interested in Exhibition, Vernissage, Gallery in a Hotel on Samui/Chaweng - time frame 2008/2009 high season?

are you asking for artists to exhibit?

&

QUOTE (girlx @ 2008-07-23 19:58:30) *

Sounds to me like you need to spend more time on Kho San Road, except for the intellectual type.

to be honest i very rarely meet anyone in thailand who fits that description :D (and the last guy ended up being married :o), but you're right, they are more likely to be on khao san road. problem is, they are usually transient!!!

Edited by girlx

If you are into the Urban/Street Art Scene there is an excellent artist called Beejoir from the Uk living in Bangkok. Google souled out studio. They have works by Kate Westerholt, Cyclops, Beejoir, D Face and alot of others who are established in this area of art.

• 2 weeks later...