Helping A Small Thai Village

mistergeorge

Hi from Australia.

I want to help out a small village I visited south of Khon Kaen this year. I basically want to buy some cows (beef) for them as a gift, maybe 10 or 20 head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy them or at least what the cost would be.

I was told by a Thai person that I could buy 5 cows for approx 25,000 baht. I plan to visit again soon and want to get my math right before I do.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Hi from Australia.

I want to help out a small village I visited south of Khon Kaen this year. I basically want to buy some cows (beef) for them as a gift, maybe 10 or 20 head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy them or at least what the cost would be.

I was told by a Thai person that I could buy 5 cows for approx 25,000 baht. I plan to visit again soon and want to get my math right before I do.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

be prepared to get ripped off, by the end of it you will probably need enough money to buy up all the worlds beef resources :o

Edited by telaksslave

We don't know the price per head right now. But, we will be visiting a good friend next week in north central Thailand who happens to own a large ranch. Email me so I don't forget about it. I will send you his phone number. They speak perfect english.

faith, hope and "charity", (freely giving without wanting anything in return) :o

meandwi

You say you want to buy some cattle for a “village”. Who would actually own these cattle? Thai villages are not communes, and from my experience they tend to be hot beds of envy and petty jealousies. You attempting to give an entire village some cattle would probably cause serious political and social problems within the community. If you were to pick one family for your largesse, they would either proceed to lord their new wealth over the rest of the village or become the victims of a campaign of gossip and backstabbing(or most likely both).

TH

You say you want to buy some cattle for a "village". Who would actually own these cattle? Thai villages are not communes, and from my experience they tend to be hot beds of envy and petty jealousies. You attempting to give an entire village some cattle would probably cause serious political and social problems within the community. If you were to pick one family for your largesse, they would either proceed to lord their new wealth over the rest of the village or become the victims of a campaign of gossip and backstabbing(or most likely both).

TH

I was thinking along the same lines too. It can backfire in a bad way. My cousin went to a small village in Europe for holidays every year, and what he did was buy a new pump for the community well. Everybody benifited and everyone was happy. When everyone benifits, it really does keep the peace. Very noble of you to want to help out. The world needs more of you.

Very noble of you to want to help out. The world needs more of you.

I live in Khon Kaen and could make some enquiries for you. Be careful though, I've seen lots of funny goings on regarding this type of 'donation' with no want for anything in return.

lots of good hearted people with questonable ways of helping. he not going to live in the village so whats the harm of dropping a few cattle from the sky. is he going to send monthly payments to feed the cattle i wonder. and cattle do get sick..... dont they...lol!

I basically want to buy some cows (beef) for them as a gift, maybe 10 or 20 head.
Thais will let you do what you want to, as it is your money and they will benifit.
There are many cattle markets in the area where you can buy direct from the supplier via auction, are you buying them yourself or do you need a Thai speaker to do it for you. You might be best served by talking to a few farmers with stock before visiting the market as you might get a better deal, but like anything it is wise to research your purchase locally as prices will vary.
Between 3-5,000 baht a head for small volume purchase is the right ball park, however: Have you considered who within the village will be tending the cattle and if there is enough natural grazing to which the villagers have free and easy access to feed the cattle.

What is your objective for the villagers - to have cattle that provide milk (few Thais consume milk)? That they can breed them and sell the offspring - this requires a lot of food. Or that they are grown for beef, again food is the issue - you might be best to buy less head and set aside funds for feed stock. What do the local farmers do with their current cattle. The other option is that after you say good-bye and depart feeling warm and fuzzy they sell off half of cattle at a discount to fund alcohol purchases for the blinding BBQ party where they eat the remaining cattle and also feel warm and fuzzy?

If your motive is to do some long term good for a village (or family) that has touched your heart on a trip 'upcountry' consider doing something where your money can bring a positive benifit that would simply not happen if left to the locals.

The buddist way of making merit might best be served by finding someone with a medical condition that could be solved with some money and time. A child with a cleft palette or the village old folk with the need for new crutches, hearing aids or eye glasses.

A new water pump for the village or supplies for the local school? 25,000 Baht could feed a school of 50 kids for a month.

You want to do something - do something that helps them long term rather than can be cashed in for a quick buck.

Edited by Cuban

I agree totally with CUBAN.

While I applaud your generosity the points CUBAN raised are good ones.

Who takes care of them? grazing? who owns them? are they free to do with the cattle as they please?

Better yet, use the money to fund the school. Provide a lunch program for the kids, or school supplies.

B25k will feed a lot of kids for months or provide stationary for probably all the kids.

I think the village may be better off if instead you contributed small amounts of money on a regular basis. Buying new books and suppliers for the school each year. Donating a monthly amount towards subsidized school meals.

However if you're seeking the feeling of riding into the village on your mighty steed with 20 cows in tow for all to see, then the above suggestions probably won't cut it.

Edited by dave111223

If you are going later in the year Blankets for the old and jumpers for the kids will be very appreciated in any poor village. You can buy in bulk cheaply in Bo Bae tower in BKK..but it depends on your method of transport North of course.

Regarding buying supplies for the school..why not use your local contact to find out if the school needs something more permanent built,,,toilets. a new classroom..fans...general refurbishement..goal posts!!!

Then you can employ villagers to do the work ( 100 to 130 Baht a day) and purchase the materials for them...Everybody wins and you can stick a plaque on the wall if you like!! :D

But don't just donate money..it will dissapear and the Head teacher will suddenly have a new swimming pool in his garden!! :o

Not too many people starving in Thailand. Yours is a generous offer which would likely have little impact in a Thai village. Just across the border in Burma, where they do have food shortages and a recent natural disaster that has displaced millions, it might have some real impact. Just a thought. What are buffalo calves and adults going for BTW?

Edited by lannarebirth

If you speak to the Puu Yai Baan (Village Head) of your village he/she might point you in the direction of the most needy - hopefully. I think it is a really nice offer. Don't be surprised if the villagers are not openly thankful, but they will be very grateful. It is just that Thais tend to believe that you are planting good kamma (karma) for yourself so don't really need to be thanked. Metta.

You say you want to buy some cattle for a "village". Who would actually own these cattle? Thai villages are not communes, and from my experience they tend to be hot beds of envy and petty jealousies. You attempting to give an entire village some cattle would probably cause serious political and social problems within the community. If you were to pick one family for your largesse, they would either proceed to lord their new wealth over the rest of the village or become the victims of a campaign of gossip and backstabbing(or most likely both).

TH

I was thinking along the same lines too. It can backfire in a bad way. My cousin went to a small village in Europe for holidays every year, and what he did was buy a new pump for the community well. Everybody benifited and everyone was happy. When everyone benifits, it really does keep the peace. Very noble of you to want to help out. The world needs more of you.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who every year visits an American village. Last year he bought a type writer for their Town Hall. The people in the village were exstatic at this magnificent gift.

Magnificant gesture on your part to want to help out a village but for sure the suggestions of managing the cattle would be a serious problem for the village to deal with.

I live full time in such a village and cannot imagine how 10 or 20 cattle as a gift to the village would be dealt with. The fact is that the ones that could take care of cows likely already have them and the ones that are too weak or old or disabled and reaally need help would not be able to take care of the cows.

I get great joy from going to the very small clinic in the village next to us (our village is too small for a clinic) and watching the people come enjoy a cup of cold water from the water dispenser my wife and I were able to provide for the clinic. Much enjoyed every day for years to come by anyone that wants a cup of cold water, which by the way is really deluxe treatment for most. We have also stopped at the clinic and asked a few different times if there is anything they need and usually they need a cabinet for some new project or any number of things that will make them more able to provide the health services that the villagers must have.

One project yet to be funded because we are not in a position to provide enough funds is to build a conference room with TV, speakers and a stage that the local clinic staff can use to spread health information to the villagers. They do hold regular programs that are very well attended and spread the word on a variety of subjects directly to the villagers, by inviting different Doctors to come present a subject of local need and interest.

So I for one would encourage looking at some type project like the clinic or as others have suggested something for the school.

You are to be commended for your generosity and your intention to deliver on your convictions. I salute you and envy you in your ability to provide such a generous assist to the villagers that have caught your heart.

Best Wishes to you.

Edited to correct typo

Edited by ThaiAm

Good for you ThaiAm. My wife and i also have contributed to the village school our children attend. We provided the library with large teak tables, playground equipment and the music program with acoustic guitars. We also contributed towards cementing the playground so the kids did not have to play in the dirt. There are several thing that can be done for the schools that would benefit the village for years to come.

Good for you ThaiAm. My wife and i also have contributed to the village school our children attend. We provided the library with large teak tables, playground equipment and the music program with acoustic guitars. We also contributed towards cementing the playground so the kids did not have to play in the dirt. There are several thing that can be done for the schools that would benefit the village for years to come.

I wonder if they would do the same for you if you were broke and in dire need.