What Else To Do ?

jietjon

Have been visiting Los for past five years, usually 8 weeks stay in december and january time, as my work in Scotland is slow at these times. Bieng Scottish and travelling alone to thailand i tend drink myself into oblivion for 56 days solid. The last trip i had was the last straw and i said to myself, i aint going back unless i find a more healthier way to spend my time , but end up doing the same thing every year. I mean , is this the norm? As i think the liver goin for a burton.

Not sure what "going for a burton" means, but I can guess :o

There are plenty of things to do in Thailand that don't involve drinking but, and here is the kicker, you've got to get out of the drinking places. Have you considered staying at a detox spa? or doing a meditation retreat? Go trekking in the mountains, hire a car and go off the beaten path, take a scuba diving course.

There are plenty of things to do in Thailand that don't involve drinking but, and here is the kicker, you've got to get out of the drinking places. Have you considered staying at a detox spa? or doing a meditation retreat? Go trekking in the mountains, hire a car and go off the beaten path, take a scuba diving course.

This is good advice, the meditation retreat near ban kai in koh phangan was an option, but did not go through that, worth a try, thank you

Have been visiting Los for past five years, usually 8 weeks stay in december and january time, as my work in Scotland is slow at these times. Bieng Scottish and travelling alone to thailand i tend drink myself into oblivion for 56 days solid. The last trip i had was the last straw and i said to myself, i aint going back unless i find a more healthier way to spend my time , but end up doing the same thing every year. I mean , is this the norm? As i think the liver goin for a burton.

There is heaps to do in Thailand apart from the drinking, however if you are out for a bit of fun you should maybe just moderate things. I travel alone and also know that unless you are comfortable with your own company, bars and drinking establishments are a big temptation.

Being a social type I have never had a problem striking up friendships with other guys I meet on the trips and on a couple of occasions have made good friends this way. It may be a surprise but many guys don't go there for sex or for drinking, so share ideas with others you meet.

Also, don't dismiss the idea of a bar fine for a day or so and you may get a pleasant and reasonably priced day or two out. Without trying to appear precious about this. I have never bar fined a girl/lady for anything other than company and local knowledge. I find them grateful for the opportunity to maybe show you around their country and get a day or two away from the bar. The cynical may dismiss this viewpoint however my own experiences in both Bkk and Kanchanaburi were great. They helped me choose food, negotiate prices for purchases and suchlike and taught me some Thai in return for english.

Just some thoughts for you, not all are tarred with the same brush for sure.

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

study reading/writing/speaking thai

hire a car and just go touring the north/north west and north east

go kayaking on the rivers

go on the bangkok jungle(pra pa daeng) mountain bike trip

go on a luxury 2-3 day cruise on a restored rice barge up the chao phraya

etc..

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

etc..

off thread sorry, :o

Hi Kiakaha,

Any idea where I can get more info on the luxury cruise up the chao phaya.

I live in bkk and have often have some spare time.

thanks

fd

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

etc..

Hi Kiakaha,

thanks

fd

http://www.manohracruises.com/

2 night 3 day cruise on the Manohra Dream is 200,000 baht (charter)...basically EVERYTHING is included in the price...8 adults max, so you could split the cost

All info on website.

Edited by kiakaha

I think it's highly unlikely that a guy who admittedly spends two months in a bar in Bangkok is going to be the sort of chap who fancies hiking through the hills or steaming down the freakin Mekhong.

I would hazard a guess that he sits on his chuff in a bar surrounded by snub-nosed girls with tattoos because that's what he likes doing best. A leopard can't change its spots.

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

etc..

Hi Kiakaha,

thanks

fd

http://www.manohracruises.com/

2 night 3 day cruise on the Manohra Dream is 200,000 baht (charter)...basically EVERYTHING is included in the price...8 adults max, so you could split the cost

All info on website.

Cheers, thanks :D

Your on the right track dude! I can only add that since you started coming to Thailand the beverage companies have added "light beer" for your drinking pleasure. Less filling and tastes OK I guess. Another suggestion would be to look up from your drink from time to time and check out the girls walking around. You may want some companionship and the opportunity to trade views of your native cultures. To extend your life weeks or even months try drinking a good vodka with some kind of fruit juice. When you OD on vodka just switch to rum and the cycle begins anew. Yep. That's about it. Good luck! :o

Sorry Bendix you are wrong! A leopard can change it's spots.

If you are drinking yourself into oblivion you are going to end up with liver problems etc. Time you went to rehab! And it just so happens....... :o

I sponsor the health forum if you are interested!! (Blatant self promotion of business, moderators! Shurely something should be done!)

im not into the non bar stuff. thank god im not a lush! they cant possibly be more fun than the bar stuff!

if you came to los to party, the best is you leave. sober up in yr home country. writing poetry aint gonna cut it for a drunk. same 4 riding a bike.

just saw bendix posr. what is this world cumming too, i agree with him.

Edited by farang555

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

etc..

Ha ha ha,i really can't see a drunken Scotsman doing this can you??

Dude, you are scottish and as such it is your moral duty to uphold other lesser nations' opinion of us scots as lovable drunken bums. Just stick with what you know and get blazing for 2 months...works for me anyway! :o

name='sbk' date='2008-07-16 02:37:25' post='2089249']

Gone for a Burton.

London Cockney rhyming slang. A town in Northern England.

Burton on Trent Meaning Went

Simple really,' Me old China.'

Edited by Lite Beer

Dude, you are scottish and as such it is your moral duty to uphold other lesser nations' opinion of us scots as lovable drunken bums. Just stick with what you know and get blazing for 2 months...works for me anyway! :D

Agreed,stick to what you do best,ki yacking down the Mekong really wouldn't be for you.

Besides being from Scotland you have a reputation to uphold,so get a grip man,the stall is waiting :o

no disrespect to kaiaka.

but all the things he mention are touristy things. i wonder if kia does them on a regular basis.

i for one say not much to do for party farang to do other than party.

well after 13 years of living/working here :

I dive regularly, well a few times a year anyway

I continually work on my thai reading/writing/speaking

I get out into the countryside to trek and sometimes get on the river maybe once a month over a weekend

dont hire a car cos I own one, but do weekend drives to get out of BKK where I work

i play a round of golf a week

no different to what I would do working back in the west.

I would say that the touristy thing is to sit in a go-go bar and get pissed, and that aint my vibe..

I'm not a tourist, I just love going to GoGo bars and getting pished! :o It's what I do when I am in Edinburgh and Aberdeen visiting the lads, so no major difference apart from you get a bigger bang for your buck over here.

I'm not a tourist, I just love going to GoGo bars and getting pished! :o It's what I do when I am in Edinburgh and Aberdeen visiting the lads, so no major difference apart from you get a bigger bang for your buck over here.

There are go-go bars in Scotland?

I'm not a tourist, I just love going to GoGo bars and getting pished! :D It's what I do when I am in Edinburgh and Aberdeen visiting the lads, so no major difference apart from you get a bigger bang for your buck over here.

Yep...not quite the same setup as here in LOS though. Edinburgh has an area at Westport nicknamed the 'hairy triangle' which has 3 GoGo/lapdance bars...shame they havent instituted a barfine policy though... :o

I think it's highly unlikely that a guy who admittedly spends two months in a bar in Bangkok is going to be the sort of chap who fancies hiking through the hills or steaming down the freakin Mekhong.

I would hazard a guess that he sits on his chuff in a bar surrounded by snub-nosed girls with tattoos because that's what he likes doing best. A leopard can't change its spots.

I doubt you're insulting snub-nosed girls. My wife happens to have almost no nose, but is a lovely person. She never went to college and was born in Isaan. She is intelligent, well liked, and beautiful in my eyes. She reads these types of posts and it hurts.

You're one the most entertaining posters, but at times, you come across as a little snobbish. Well, at least it is entertaining for most.

Sure there are. You sit at home and think "what shall I do?" so you go to the bar. Several hours later you are sat at the bar phished and you think "what shall I do now?" so you go home.

Sure there are. You sit at home and think "what shall I do?" so you go to the bar. Several hours later you are sat at the bar phished and you think "what shall I do now?" so you go home.

Clearly not a Scot...you GoGo to another bar! :o

BENDIX IS ENTERTAINING?

He surely is - but not in your league yet.

As for boozing, if you're used to having a tipple it's a hard habit to break - I'm sure everyone will agree.

But it's aggravated in a place like Thailand because, unless you're happy with your own company you'll gravitate to bars.

The greatest enemy there is boredom and it can drive people to drink and whoring, for want of something better to do.